TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Replacing Bose speakers on a TT Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Bose speakers on a TT Quattro

Howdy, folks! I've got a 2004 TT Quattro 1.8 that has door speakers (both sides) that have been buzzing. Assuming that they have probably blown, I managed to get my hands on another pair of the same model of speakers. I took the door panel off today to install the speakers, thinking it would be a relatively easy task, and I've hit a wall. There's foam on the inside of the door panel, and it's glued in. So for the life of me I can't figure out how to get behind it to remove and replace the speaker. Any suggestions?
Attached Images    
Old 02-05-2016, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Consult the Bentley service manual for the proper procedure.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Consult the Bentley service manual for the proper procedure.
I don't happen to have one of those lying around, and they're $130. :-/
Old 02-05-2016, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Every TT owner who repairs their own vehicle should buy their own. That way they can access it immediately whenever they need to perform repairs on their vehicle. The tourque specifications alone make it a mandatory shop item (IMO).

No one has ever given me free access to the eight (technically seven, my son bought the one for his TT when he was 18 using his own funds $120.00 or $130.00 IIRC) I've purchased over the years from Robert Bentley Publishers.

Posting pages from copyrighted materials is a violation of certain laws. We wouldn't want AudiWorld to get sued or shut down over something like that.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Every TT owner who repairs their own vehicle should buy their own. That way they can access it immediately whenever they need to perform repairs on their vehicle. The tourque specifications alone make it a mandatory shop item (IMO).

No one has ever given me free access to the eight (technically seven, my son bought the one for his TT when he was 18 using his own funds $120.00 or $130.00 IIRC) I've purchased over the years from Robert Bentley Publishers.

Posting pages from copyrighted materials is a violation of certain laws. We wouldn't want AudiWorld to get sued or shut down over something like that.
Nobody is talking about posting copyrighted material. I'm simply asking a forum of experienced Audi owners how to get to the speaker. Instead of helping me, you've decided to be an *** and tell me to just RTFM. GG, mate.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Direct from the *** himself:

1. Remove door trim (which you have already done).

2. Remove door trim insulation. Be careful not to damage sound insulation. This means to use appropriate standard automotive trim removal methods especially if there are glued/adhesive areas. Use putty knife, plastic squeegee or trim removal tools so you don't tear the insulating material.

3. remove connector from speaker harness.

4. Remove nuts/screws that secure speaker in place. Remove speaker.

6. Installation is the reverse of removal. Be careful not to damage insulation when fitting over fasteners, clips and electrical connectors.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ˇMuchas gracias! I was hoping there was something simple that I was overlooking and I wouldn't have to rip out the insulation...but it looks like I'll have to dig out the ol' putty knife and take a stab at it. When putting the insulation back into the panel, is there any particular kind of adhesive I should use or avoid?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts