TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Reprogramming key fob after battery replacement

Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newfinish
1# you take one key put into ignition turn on.

2# close door, lock it with the key hole on driver side,with the key you want to program.

3#once it's lock take the key of the door out press the open button once or 2 or 3 or 4 times depending on which key is being reprogrammed(for the seats memory)you will see your side blink every time you press ,wait 6 secs press again once.take the other key in ignition out.

close the door and try locking with the reprogrammed key.

if you lost the program on other key it's just you didn't select the right memory,so set the right number for the right key
Ex:my wife is 1# in memory seat,mine is 2#.
so i had to press twice in 3# step.
2004 Allroad.

This procedure worked for me...but not exactly as described.

Two fobs - I lost the sync on both of them.

My fob is seat position 1. Wife's fob is seat position 2.

1) I put the wifes key in the ignition and turned it on.

2) I used my key to manually lock the car.

3) I pushed the unlock button once. The side marker lights blinked.

4) Waited a bit and pushed the unlock button again. Nothing happened.

5) Unlocked the car manually.

6) Removed wife's key from the ignition.

7) Tested my fob - it worked exactly as it should (seat moves to position 1)

8) Put my key in the ignition and turned it on.

9) Locked the car manually with my wife's key.

10) Pushed the unlock button once - side markers blink.

11) Pushed the unlock button again right away - nothing happened.

12) Scratched my head a bit and pushed the unlock button a third time - still nothing.

13) Unlocked the door manually with my wife's key and removed my key from the ignition.

14) Tested the wife's fob and it worked exactly as it should (seat moves to position 2)

So either the fobs remembered their seat programs, or I inadvertantly did the right sequence....but either way I did not get a lights flashing signal when I pushed the unlock button on my wife's fob the second time.

Thanks to the OP for posting this. Saved me a pain in the *** trip to the dealer. That's all my manual tells me to do.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2004 B6:
car battery died.
charged it.
remote no talky after.
GRRRR.
as posted previously above, and thank you VERY much for it, this worked for me:

1 - put driver window down.
2 - insert key in door lock
3 - twist to unlock and hold in position.
4 - with other paw unlock the car using the door panel button.
5 - release and remove key from door.
6 - test remote.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another method that worked for me

I used the following method and it restored my primary key but not my secondary key. I tried 6 times no success, tried another method still no luck. So now I have discovered another moethod that worked for me

I put the key I want to program in the ignition and turned it on, leaving it in the ignition and ON I pushed the lock button on the fob. Then hey presto I pressed it again and it worked! Hope this helps someone else, I have an A4 quattro.

CeeRod

Originally Posted by newfinish
1# you take one key put into ignition turn on.

2# close door, lock it with the key hole on driver side,with the key you want to program.

3#once it's lock take the key of the door out press the open button once or 2 or 3 or 4 times depending on which key is being reprogrammed(for the seats memory)you will see your side blink every time you press ,wait 6 secs press again once.take the other key in ignition out.

close the door and try locking with the reprogrammed key.

if you lost the program on other key it's just you didn't select the right memory,so set the right number for the right key
Ex:my wife is 1# in memory seat,mine is 2#.
so i had to press twice in 3# step.
The following users liked this post:
F1TT (01-05-2022)
Old 09-08-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CeeRod
I put the key I want to program in the ignition and turned it on, leaving it in the ignition and ON I pushed the lock button on the fob. Then hey presto I pressed it again and it worked! Hope this helps someone else, I have an A4 quattro.
CeeRod
And that worked for both keys?
What year A4? B5 or B6?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2001 TT. The previous owner had one fob that worked, one that didn't. I opened them to switch batteries to see if that would cure the problem. They used two different size batteries. I was going to buy a replacement battery and then remembered the fob for my PT Cruiser that burned. I popped it opened and found two batteries. I swapped those into the Audi fob, reprogrammed it using the instructions, I now have two working fobs.

THANKS for sharing this info.

Mike
Old 12-28-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze42
Yes, you can reprogram an fob with a single key...don't exactly know how...but read on:

I had researched the same thing after purchasing a new fob cover. The remote would not work and, as you can guess, I found out about the programming after the fact. I too only have a single key that came with the car when I bought it a week ago.

I ran across a post by a guy saying he had been working on his window with the door panel off and, while doing so, his remote started to work.

I went out to the car, put the key in the drivers side door, turned it like I was unlocking it, pushed the unlock/lock buttons ... (in what order I do not know...hence the "don't exactly know how")...and the lock clicked...the remote worked fine after that.

Good Luck...at least there is hope :-)
Same here. Didn't have a second key so I unlocked the door using the key, put it in the ignition and turned on the car then thrashed the open or closed a few times and Voila. Programmed. Who said idiots can't own Audis
Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Worked

Originally Posted by CeeRod
I used the following method and it restored my primary key but not my secondary key. I tried 6 times no success, tried another method still no luck. So now I have discovered another moethod that worked for me

CeeRod
This worked instantly after all other methods failed and was about to give up , I bumped into this one and it saved me an arm and a leg. Thanks mate.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had 2 fobs one that I had not used in three years, I looked on the forum and all other methods failed. I came across one that instructed me to insert the key in question into the ignition, turn it on whilst still in the ignition and in the on position I pressed the unlock button and this worked the magic. This guys is a star, it worked like magic for me. This is the only method that worked for me after all other options failed, you are a star.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This method worked for me after all other options failed, you are a star mate.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default reprogramming Audi key

try a full reboot of the cars computer and see if resyncing your key helps the issue. First disconnect both battery terminals then touch um togeather to drain the last of the power from the car and leave your car for 15 minutes. After your done put your key in the ignition turn to power on and leave it for 15 minutes. When thats done flip the key to power off then start see if that helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reprogramming key fob after battery replacement