TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Roadster wind deflector screen lift screw problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadster wind deflector screen lift screw problem

Has anyone ever had to change one of the lift screws behind the seats for wind screen glass? They don't look easy and I can't find any description of the replacement. Even Audi repair manual is not very descriptive. One of my screws has a broken thread. These trhreads are big and I have no idea how one could bend. It then broke the belt. I just can't figure out how to get the glass out without being able to use the screw lift to raise the glass. How do the screws attach at the floor? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those big threads are plastic. Mine has a broken thread also. I wound mine up then unplugged the motor so it stays up.Sometimes the whole setup shows up on ebay for a good price but I would recommend changing the belt before installing.

Cheers.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 01 TT roadster has similar issue, windscreen only goes up a little "when it feels like it" same thing with going back down. i thought the belt was usually the issue, gotta tear into it one day. having it work would add to comfort in cooler weather! girlfriend gives me the moans unless its hot + sunny!!! our dog loves it as i do!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine does not work at all - looking for advice/tips.

I can hear a click with the switch so the fuses + switch are good. Seems like something may be jammed inside.

Anybody know of a thread with pics for the inspection/repair.

I bought the Bentley manual and there is NOTHING on it

Thanks

Dave H. Appleton, WI dchoran1@gmail.com
Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Same here, slowing fixing those small problems and this problem hopefully will be soon.

Will check back to see if anyone have solved theirs or will post my repair experience after I have tackled it.

Cheers
Old 09-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Rear Screen

Mine does the same. I have raised Mine by pulling on it as far as it will go and unplugging the motor to just leave it up. I really not a problem.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what i read its usually the belt. remove the plastic is best done in hotter weather but i don't think about until my girlfriend whi nes! iam cold put the top up, i love when the top is down!!!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I though the moving top would interfere with the glass shield, sounds like a good idea, however I wouldn't be able to get to my CCM or clean my back window. once I get my CCM replaced to reprogrammed it will consider it.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Screw lubrication

Does anyone know if it is posible or plausable to lubricate the screw with silicone grease or something so that we can keep this from happening.
Mine still works and after reading this I am scared every time I put the thing
up!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Home Deflector Fix

I bought an '03 quattro convertible in 2014 that had about 50 problems. I've fixed about 39 so far, and one was the REAR DEFLECTOR. Some symptoms were grinding and only the driver's side going up part way. The two basic problems were a broken belt and the sagging top around the glass window pushing against the deflector cover.

With age, as the window sags a bit, when you lower the top the window area will push forward against the plastic cowling under the roll bars. That force pushes the cowling against the glass deflector, so when you go to raise the deflector its pinned and eventually causes the belt to break, or the plastic drive gears to break tabs. Usually its the belt.

First step is to low the top enough until you can reach in while standing outside and pop the cowling off. Its quite easy to remove by pushing down and pulling back. Lift it out and set it aside. Now you can see both white gears and probably a shreaded belt. I ordered a new belt at polybelt.com for $31.55 +s/h. #8N7862997.

Yes, you will have to drill out the 4 rivets holding the steel guide bar. Two on each side, and its NOT difficult. I used a good 1/2" drill bit, centered it on the rivet and drilled for about 10 seconds - the rivet vanishes. Lift, wiggle, and pry a bit on the PASSENGER SIDE and the cross bar will come off exposing the belt and both gears. Try to avoid messing with the driver side because that's the motor driven screw. The passenger side simply works by the belt stretching from driver to passenger side.

To remove the gear, pull back near the top by the rubber cube shaped holder, its about 1"x1". Pay attention to how this comes out because even though its a 6-side cube it goes in only one way to hold the belt on top and gear in place. Replace the gear if needed - Google a part I guess. The gear is held in like a roll of toilet paper at each end so slip in the bottom, put your new belt on top and push push push until the rubber cube holding everything slide into place. That's the hardest part, especially if you mix up the cube like I did. Take pictures first. WAIT, be sure you align the window so both sides are equal. I used the button to wind up the driver side to the top and then spun the passenger gear with my fingers until the window was level. Sorry :-)

Make sure the belt is unobstructed up under the steel guide bar when you replace it by feeling with your fingers underneath. Oh yeah, the new belt should slip on the driver side gear first, then pull strongly over the slightly out of position passenger gear, then push push push in place.

Don't worry much about the rivets. Audi never meant for this to be replaced. I found some small spare bolts and barely screwed them in. Finished. Replace the cowling and test. It should go down easily. If it snags and grinds a bit going up, your window is probably pinching the deflector. I'm working on that issue now. Best solution, leave the deflector up always or first if possible. Still working on that too.
The following users liked this post:
RagTTop (03-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Roadster wind deflector screen lift screw problem