TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Seafoam use with a 2001 MK I

Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seafoam use with a 2001 MK I

I was wondering if it would be safe to use seafoam on a 2001 MK I to clean out build up in the block and also use it on the fuel system too

Thanks in advance

Stan
Old 10-10-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd be cautious but if I used anything for build up, it would be seafoam

Originally Posted by Mikaere808
I was wondering if it would be safe to use seafoam on a 2001 MK I to clean out build up in the block and also use it on the fuel system too

Thanks in advance

Stan
Fact is, if the car has had regular synthetic oil changes it should not have build up. Have you taken apart some of the engine and seen any? If you are convinced you need something, seafoam seems to be the product of choice for most enthusiasts. Make sure you follow directions.

For a gas additive, most of us prefer Techron. I add a botle every 10K and have never had a fuel problem. I tried some other brands when I got my first Mk 1 and had a code on a sensor shortly thereafter.This has never happened to me with Techron during the past decade.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default not sure about build up

i havent checked the head or anything like that....just wondering. The car isnt mine and I dont think its been loved how I would have loved it if it had been mine for as long as it as it is old....if you know what I mean. I was just curious since Im sorta new to German cars....most of DIY experience lies with Japanese cars. I have used seafoam with those cars in the past and had great experience with it. Oh one more thing I was plannig on taking it in and having it serviced anyways so I thought it would be a good prep step before I turn it over to the local garage
Old 10-11-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make sure the timing belt, etc have been changed in the past 5 years or 60K

Originally Posted by Mikaere808
i havent checked the head or anything like that....just wondering. The car isnt mine and I dont think its been loved how I would have loved it if it had been mine for as long as it as it is old....if you know what I mean. I was just curious since Im sorta new to German cars....most of DIY experience lies with Japanese cars. I have used seafoam with those cars in the past and had great experience with it. Oh one more thing I was plannig on taking it in and having it serviced anyways so I thought it would be a good prep step before I turn it over to the local garage
If not, the owner is driving a time bomb that wil cost $5K+ to repair when it breaks, which likely will be soon.