TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Stereo & Instrument Panel Display Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo & Instrument Panel Display Questions

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2002 Audi TT Quattro and am very excited to be driving it. However, it did come with minor problems (that do not affect performance, but more so the aesthetics).

1. Stereo is in safe mod - I have read that you can fix this on your own or take it to a dealership. Any comments on that?

2. Stereo buttons seem to have all been scratched out and does not have an AUX input - although it's not crucial, it would be nice for the stereo to match the rest of the car in terms of how well maintained it's been kept. If the stereo is in safe mode, can I just go ahead and buy a new (more updated) stereo and install it myself? What stereo could you guys recommend? Ideally, I would like AUX for my iPod, or some method to play music from my iPod.

3. The instrument panel display is very hard to read - the panel which tells you outside temp, gives warning about open doors, etc. seems like it has dead pixels or something wrong where it really can't be read very well. Do I have to take it to a dealership and get the whole cluster replaced? Or does anyone know of a method to fix at home?

Thank you so much for your time!
Old 05-31-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The instrument display dead pixels is a common item on these vehicles. Search for threads on this forum that may address this issue.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Audio unit is in safe mode because the battery was disconnected. You can find the 4 digit code in owner's manual. Key RDS +Scan buttons then enter code using radio preset buttons. Key RDS + Scan again. Procedure is also in manual. If you don't have manual with safe code, it's labeled on the unit, but you'll have to pull head unit out. Pretty tight fit!
Denison makes a great Bluetooth iPad add on for Audi that's very easy to wire in. Enfigcarstereo.com sells them.
Instrument panel failure was a major issue in early models (2000-2002), so bad Audi issued a recall. Dealer will hit you hard to repair. However, you can find people willing to repair units on eBay for about $300 with pretty quick turnaround. Panel is easy to remove.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Really helpful!