TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Timing Belt replacement writeup with 61 pictures and 44 steps....>>

Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8 rolls to perfection... Thanks man... this write-up is definitely a live and die by!
Old 05-05-2015, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you!

This is the first time I've ever signed up for one of these forums and it is to say THANK YOU! I have the Bentley manual and this write up is much more detailed and helps ALOT! I found the hardest part to be getting the new timing belt back on. Like others have stated, I thought I had to try and muscle it on at TDC which is quite impossible. Don't worry about turning the crank a full turn if need be to get it on. As long as the belt is marked and clamped at the cam sprocket there is no issue with doing this. I found the tensioner compressing tool referenced in the Bentley manual to be pretty worthless as it is very hard to get a wrench in there to turn it. I took my time with this and it took me a solid weekend to complete. Thanks so much for this EXCELLENT write up. It is people like you that make the world a better (and a little bit easier) place.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Many Thanks!

Awesome write up! This was by far the best tool in the gargage for this job. After a good 2 1/2 solid days I got her done with a ECS Tuning Timing Kit with the Gates Racing belt.

I am new to the Forum and to Audi ownership. I have just purchased a 2002 Audi TT 225HP less than a month ago from the original owner. The car had been meticulously maintained with every receipt, invoice, and all documentation from day one. Nicely modified with all the right components. I still had approximately 20k left before belt was due for the 2nd time but figured with winter quickly approaching here in New England I would get it replaced.

Thank you again for the time an effort that was put into creating and sharing this. This information was invaluable.

Now if I can only talk my wife into letting me get a winter car so I can put my new winter car away.

Many thanks again, and if if you are ever in the New Hampshire area I owe you a few nice Bourbon's!!!
Old 03-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Many Thanks!

Not sure if this is forbidden (posting on an older post)

But I have to say thank you VERY much for this tutorial. It was fantastically written and extremely helpful. Literally everything was to a tee. The only thing I didn't do was the zip tie method. I was able to attach the belt just a tinnyyyyy little bit over every pulley except for the water pump, pulled damn hard and slipped it over the water pump.

Thank you very much again! I hope everyone else can benefit from this tutorial.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great write up - used it this week to replace timing belt, water pump, etc...

Used in combination with ECS instructions - Many thanks!!!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Picture links have been fixed.

Cheers
Old 02-04-2018, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great write up, just finished mine and for those who have never had the water pump changed here's what mine looked like after 140,000klms, found the bits inside the water pump housing

Old 02-11-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any possibility of getting the PDF or instructions? Or are they gone forever?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I really wish I'd followed these instructions instead of ECS's. Your inclusion of foot pounds of torque would have saved me so much work!. I buggered the idler pulley hole and had to use heli-coil inserts. It should go back together soon. I hope you find a good place to host as modshack seems to have dropped. I just hope I can find such a great set of instructions for changing the downpipe/exhaust.

This is one of the best how-to's I've found on the net and I've used a bunch of them.
The following users liked this post:
Blue TTop (04-01-2021)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by iborg
I really wish I'd followed these instructions instead of ECS's. Your inclusion of foot pounds of torque would have saved me so much work!. I buggered the idler pulley hole and had to use heli-coil inserts. It should go back together soon. I hope you find a good place to host as modshack seems to have dropped. I just hope I can find such a great set of instructions for changing the downpipe/exhaust.

This is one of the best how-to's I've found on the net and I've used a bunch of them.
Herein lies a problem. Some advocate leaving the pulley off to facilitate getting the belt on by putting the belt in place and then feeding it over the pulley last and then putting the pulley bolt in. I'm not convinced. It works but the danger is that the bolt goes into the soft aluminium of the cylinder head and get that wrong and your in trouble. Slightly differently to iborg applying too much torque, but a difficult repair to ensure a full nights sleep. Its not worth risking damaging the thread because that bolt is crucial to the operation, takes so much pressure and needs to be really firmly mounted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt replacement writeup with 61 pictures and 44 steps....>>