TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

top sinsor

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top sinsor

When I put the top up on my 2001 TT the top sensor shows that the top is not locked and it keeps the windows down 1/2 inch. What do I need to do to fix this.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Use standard Automotive electrical troubleshooting techniques to determine if the sensor is not actually detecting the proper top position.If not, repair the reason this is not happening. Or, if the sensor is truly being activated, determine if the internal electrical/electronic circuit is working. If not, replace the sensor. If good, trace wiring to the module and confirm continuity. No continuity? Repair (Again, using standard electrical troubleshooting & repair techniques). Everything checks ok? Use Ross-Tech software and their genuine interface cable to read any fault codes related to your issue. Actually, you should do this first, but I presume you don't have this so I offered a few suggestions. At this point, stop and buy this cable. Wait for it to come in. Then run the test. Of course you'll need a properly configured PC to do this.

You're probably going to ask: "where is this alleged module"? You need to buy the proper service manual for the car to get this information as well as a vehicle wiring diagram. Bentley Publishers has the manual or buy an All Data subscription. Otherwise, pay someone to repair the problem for you.

If all of this turns up nothing, you probably have a defective module. Replace it, but there is a risk something else is wrong. These modules hardly ever go bad. You may need the module, if replaced, to be coded to your vehicle. That's a dealer only procedure.

It could be something else, like your door lock mechanisms are defective as they can affect the window position. Ross-Tech diagnostic scan is the best way to determine. The $20-$100 scan tools are worthless for Audi-specific faults. The convertible top diagnostics are not SAE fault codes.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 01-01-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem and the micro switch was not being engaged by the handle mechanism when closed. It's not hard to get to the switch in the windshield header. Take it out and bend the thin metal lever that actuates the switch. It's hard to describe, but once you see it, you'll know what I mean. Get the switch to close when the handle is locked and your problem will be solved.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Agree, this is a common Mk 1 roadster problem

Originally Posted by Walpole5
I had this problem and the micro switch was not being engaged by the handle mechanism when closed. It's not hard to get to the switch in the windshield header. Take it out and bend the thin metal lever that actuates the switch. It's hard to describe, but once you see it, you'll know what I mean. Get the switch to close when the handle is locked and your problem will be solved.
If you don't want to take out the switch, you can glue a small piece of thin plastic to the windshield header switch tab.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried that and it only worked for a while for me. Worth a try before removing the switch.