TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Want to buy the Audi TT Mk1, but have concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy the Audi TT Mk1, but have concerns

I am looking to buy an Audi TT 1.8 Quattro (Coupe) with a 6 speed manual, but I have a few concerns before I do. This will be my first car. I am 22 years old and I have a job in the military, so I will be paying for everything out of pocket and I am confident I can take care of an Audi TT. Despite my confidence, is this car impossible to work on myself?

Everyone I have spoken with about buying one has told me that I am an idiot for considering a car that "looks sporty" over a car that is stereotypically a good "first car." None of these people had previously owned an Audi TT, though one of them does own an Audi S4 and was hit full force with a timing belt failure (a possible issue I am well aware of with this car as well).

None of these people have researched the Audi TT either, their reaction being right after I showed them a picture.

Nobody has given a great reason not to get one, so I am asking TT owners (you) for your opinion. Please be moderately constructive as your word will probably be the final deciding factor and my justification for buying it.

Thank you for your time!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Look at the "looking to buy a used TT" thread a few spaces down

First, I think anyone who buys any 10 year old car for reliability is crazy. The mechanicals on the Mk 1 are excellent with many folks having 150k miles or more with few issues. The early years of the Mk 1 had more issues than later production which is typical of most brand new car designs. The 2002+ models have had fewer issues over the years. However, I have seen a disturbing trend recently of several posts a month on this and other TT boards from folks who are experiencing weird electrical problems which night be an indication that the electronics life is about 15 years,