TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

2008 Audi TT Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Audi TT Oil Consumption

Hello

I purchased a used 2008 TT beginning of this year. The first week I took it to the audi dealership and did an oil change. Three weeks later, the oil light came on. I checked the dip stick and it was at minimum. I first thought, I had an oil leak. I checked the car and couldn't not find a spot where it was leaking at. Took it back to the dealer next day and they said probably it was not filled all the way. They topped it off. The same thing happen next three weeks, oil light came on. Between February and September, probably put 13 quarts of oil into my car. I started doing research online and came across a few forums where owners are reporting the same issue. I am here today, just trying to get some feedback from owners of the TT.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default IMO it is a rare problem

Originally Posted by Markensy
Hello

I purchased a used 2008 TT beginning of this year. The first week I took it to the audi dealership and did an oil change. Three weeks later, the oil light came on. I checked the dip stick and it was at minimum. I first thought, I had an oil leak. I checked the car and couldn't not find a spot where it was leaking at. Took it back to the dealer next day and they said probably it was not filled all the way. They topped it off. The same thing happen next three weeks, oil light came on. Between February and September, probably put 13 quarts of oil into my car. I started doing research online and came across a few forums where owners are reporting the same issue. I am here today, just trying to get some feedback from owners of the TT.
I follow 3 Mk 2 forums regularly and I see a post about oil consumption about once a year. You don't say how many miles are on the car so I don't know if your oil use is due to wear or a defect in manufacture. However, I've seen a few reports of oil use on early MY Mk 2s when they were new. The discussions always revolved around Audi's position that using a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so was "normal" and won't help them even though 99% of owners don't add any oil between 10K changes. The same engine was used in other Audi models and, for some reason, seems to be much more prevalent on them. It could be "rare" in the TT because there are so few sold in the US. Do a search on this forum, Quattroworld, and Fourtitude. I'm sure I've seen a thread on this in one of them in 2015.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hello

My 2008 V6 3.2 has never burned oil. I don't think in all the years I've had the car, I've added a drop. Wonder if it's just an issue with the 2.0??
Old 09-27-2015, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

My MKI with the 1.8 burned some oil between changes. Nowhere near the amounts you are using though. My first MKII was a '10 and I think had the same engine as yours and it didn't use any oil at all in the 40k I drove it. There was a change to the engine in (I think) 2011. My '13 TTS has never used a drop. Even compared to my oil burning MKI this oil usage seems a bit excessive.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
I follow 3 Mk 2 forums regularly and I see a post about oil consumption about once a year. You don't say how many miles are on the car so I don't know if your oil use is due to wear or a defect in manufacture. However, I've seen a few reports of oil use on early MY Mk 2s when they were new. The discussions always revolved around Audi's position that using a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so was "normal" and won't help them even though 99% of owners don't add any oil between 10K changes. The same engine was used in other Audi models and, for some reason, seems to be much more prevalent on them. It could be "rare" in the TT because there are so few sold in the US. Do a search on this forum, Quattroworld, and Fourtitude. I'm sure I've seen a thread on this in one of them in 2015.
The car has 95k on there now. Im just stuck on what next to do. The oil is not leaking anywhere. I may just have to take it to the dealership and see what they say.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
My MKI with the 1.8 burned some oil between changes. Nowhere near the amounts you are using though. My first MKII was a '10 and I think had the same engine as yours and it didn't use any oil at all in the 40k I drove it. There was a change to the engine in (I think) 2011. My '13 TTS has never used a drop. Even compared to my oil burning MKI this oil usage seems a bit excessive.
Yeah the oil amount is excessive.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Compression test?

The car has 95k on there now. Im just stuck on what next to do. The oil is not leaking anywhere. I may just have to take it to the dealership and see what they say.
I'm wondering if a prior owner ran the car with low oil, or if it is one of the rare engines that had the oil issue. The dealer Service Manager should have the early service records to see if the problem existed early in its life. Too late now, but never buy any used car without checking the dealer service records. They may not show it to you but they will tell you if anything was unusual.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a good idea to check your oil levels every 2 fill ups is what I have found works the best, I've only had my TT for a few weeks now but have come from a long line of turbo cars. Also I found adding a bit of Synthetic Lucas goes a long way. I ran that in my E93 v8 M3 and what a difference. That car is also known to burn off lots of oil....

Worth a Try!
Old 12-12-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm facing this exact same issue on my 2008 coupe 2.0l (my 3rd TT so far), which I've owned for almost two years now.

It has 113k miles on it, but never i have had any issues... until recently, when i noticed a drastic increase in the oil consumption.

The only fault code i have is the P0456 (HVAC - Very small leak detected) but for all i know this foult has no effect on oil consumption.

Any ideas?