TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

2008 TT 2.0 has been sitting for 4 years, help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 TT 2.0 has been sitting for 4 years, help!

Hello! I have inherited a 2008 TT 2.0 FWD from my in-laws. It has been sitting since 2011, and has moss growing on the paint... The hatch has been open since then because they removed the battery. Don't know why.

Here is my list of issues:

1. Brakes are seized, and I need to have it towed. It's parked in 24" of snow. Can I have it dragged onto a flat bed without damaging anything? How can I get it off the flat bed once I get it home?

2. I installed a fresh battery, and the head/tail lights came on immediately, also a fan under the hood. Very strange since the keys were in my pocket, not in the ignition. I opened the door and inserted the key, no dahs lights, fan still running. Had to disconnect the battery to stop it. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post...This is just the beginning...
Old 02-15-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Some thoughts

Originally Posted by dstojni
Hello! I have inherited a 2008 TT 2.0 FWD from my in-laws. It has been sitting since 2011, and has moss growing on the paint... The hatch has been open since then because they removed the battery. Don't know why.

Here is my list of issues:

1. Brakes are seized, and I need to have it towed. It's parked in 24" of snow. Can I have it dragged onto a flat bed without damaging anything? How can I get it off the flat bed once I get it home?

2. I installed a fresh battery, and the head/tail lights came on immediately, also a fan under the hood. Very strange since the keys were in my pocket, not in the ignition. I opened the door and inserted the key, no dahs lights, fan still running. Had to disconnect the battery to stop it. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post...This is just the beginning...
Assuming the hand (emergency) brake was engaged the past 4 years, that is what seized. This effects only the rear brakes and should not harm anything for the short trip on/off a flatbed. I'd tow it directly to a shop to drain fuel, release brakes, change oil, etc.

Don't know what you mean by "fan". There is an internal pump (I think for the turbo oil) that runs for a few minutes after the key is removed even if the car was not started. This is what you probably hear. It would not surprise me that it engages when the battery is replaced. If you truly mean the inside heater fan or radiator fan, I have no clue.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Assuming the hand (emergency) brake was engaged the past 4 years, that is what seized. This effects only the rear brakes and should not harm anything for the short trip on/off a flatbed. I'd tow it directly to a shop to drain fuel, release brakes, change oil, etc.

Don't know what you mean by "fan". There is an internal pump (I think for the turbo oil) that runs for a few minutes after the key is removed even if the car was not started. This is what you probably hear. It would not surprise me that it engages when the battery is replaced. If you truly mean the inside heater fan or radiator fan, I have no clue.
Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on why I have no dash lights/chimes with the key in the ignition? My father in-law said that it started and ran fine last year, never had this happen before. The paint and interior are another story, but less critical. Could be immobilizer, or maybe the key needs to be reprogrammed?
Old 02-16-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default No ideas other than a blown fuse

Originally Posted by dstojni
Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on why I have no dash lights/chimes with the key in the ignition? My father in-law said that it started and ran fine last year, never had this happen before. The paint and interior are another story, but less critical. Could be immobilizer, or maybe the key needs to be reprogrammed?