TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

2013 TT 1.8L worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 TT 1.8L worth it?

Hi there

Looking to get some opinions from Audi enthusiasts

Looking to get a new car, have been looking at Audi two door cars

I'll be honest and say that my budget was more in the range of the A3 2.0L Diesel cabriolet - as a female, I have no issues with driving this car

However I've seen a 2013 TT 1.8L for sale at below the cost of a new A3 Cab.

The thing is, the TT is the base model - it doesn't have any factory fittings at all. My thoughts were to add rear sensors, sat nav etc, however it still has 2 years factory warranty. I'm suspecting that the main draw card of this model is the 'look at me factor'.

The plan is to drive the car for two years, then move it on, so need to consider the resale value of the TT and A3 Cab.

So, my question is: Is it worth getting the TT (knowing that the Mk3 will be out soon, which may, or may not, affect the resale value of the 2013 TT) -

Or would be it be better to get the 2014 updated A3 (with styling, technik and launch packages) and resell that in a couple of years

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 10-26-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Knowing where you live would be a help

Originally Posted by timtamslams
Hi there

Looking to get some opinions from Audi enthusiasts

Looking to get a new car, have been looking at Audi two door cars

I'll be honest and say that my budget was more in the range of the A3 2.0L Diesel cabriolet - as a female, I have no issues with driving this car

However I've seen a 2013 TT 1.8L for sale at below the cost of a new A3 Cab.

The thing is, the TT is the base model - it doesn't have any factory fittings at all. My thoughts were to add rear sensors, sat nav etc, however it still has 2 years factory warranty. I'm suspecting that the main draw card of this model is the 'look at me factor'.

The plan is to drive the car for two years, then move it on, so need to consider the resale value of the TT and A3 Cab.

So, my question is: Is it worth getting the TT (knowing that the Mk3 will be out soon, which may, or may not, affect the resale value of the 2013 TT) -

Or would be it be better to get the 2014 updated A3 (with styling, technik and launch packages) and resell that in a couple of years

Any thoughts would be appreciated
I assume you are not in the USA since the A3 cab is not offered with TDI in the US yet according the Audi USA web site. Most of my response is flavored by USA models. I also assume we are only talking about convertibles.

The most important thing is can you live with a 2 seat car? Many folks think they can but wind up ditching the car quickly when they realize they can't take more than 1 friend anywhere. This is more important than people realize and is the reason why there are relatively more late model low mileage used roadster for sale (by any manufacturer) than any other model car. A second factor against the TT roadster is the smaller trunk and no back seat to haul stuff.

The TT offered a nav option, so you can find a car with it. I would not add "sensors" as it would be cost prohibitive.

I do not expect the TT resale price to be effected by the Mk 3 release.

The used TT will retain more of its resale value than a new A3 cab. Almost every new car takes a large value hit as soon as it is driven off the lot. The 2011 TT roadster I bought used 2 years ago is still selling for about what I paid for it.

In the US, I would look nationally on the Audi web site for CPOs, and check nationally on Cars.com and Autotrader.com. It is often worth the plane ticket to get a car outside your local area.

As shown here Fourtitude.com - MK2 TT a5 FAQ

the best Mk 2 models are 2011 and newer, so don't limit yourself to the 2013.. The 2014 MY also added even more standard features.

In terms of performance and handling, the TT is far better than the A3 in all respects.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Good suggestions

Thanks for your quick response

Am located in Australia, so the A3 Convertible is currently available with the 1.4L, 1.8L or the 2.0 Diesel engines. Costs for the 1.8L are about AUD$58k (~USD$53k). The 2013 1.8L TT (no options) that I'm looking at is going for less at the minute.

That's a good point about the 2 seater - the plan is to have a 'fun' car for the next two years, before moving onto a more 'people friendly' car, so the two seater is probably okay for now.

However, the A3 Cab has the option for child seats at the back..

They were also good points about the resale value of the TT vs A3

My only concern was that the TT I was looking at, although a very nice looking car.. was kind of bare on the inside. There's not much else, besides knowing that you are in a 'sporty' car..

Another question would be - is it worth getting the Navigation system -

And what other features are 'non-negotiables' for people..

Cheers
Old 10-27-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Non-negotiable for me was a manual transmission - which is why I still have my '08!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for posting that link to Fourtitude, VegasroadsTTer. I'm looking to purchase my first TT and have been doing a lot of research here of late. That information is very helpful in me making a decision in which model year to get.