TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Another Convertible Top Issue... different twist.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoodyTT
Thanks visuar. This is the first time I am dealing with the top not working. I had hoped that by manually putting the top up, it would somehow reset things and all would be well. Not only does the top not work, but the other issues started. I think they are minor software fixes though. The dealer said his tech tried to reset things with the computer. That may have reset other things. My window is working against that's progress.
If the problem with the top "freezing" in mid-position continues to occur, turn off the ignition and restart the car, then retry the switch. Sometimes this will reset the tolerances and the top will operate. Audi has TSBs on this problem and is very aware of it - so you should expect to pay nothing to get it fixed. At the time of my sale, the top worked perfectly. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Phil G.
If the problem with the top "freezing" in mid-position continues to occur, turn off the ignition and restart the car, then retry the switch. Sometimes this will reset the tolerances and the top will operate. Audi has TSBs on this problem and is very aware of it - so you should expect to pay nothing to get it fixed. At the time of my sale, the top worked perfectly. Good luck.
Phil

Thanks for the reply. When the top stopped working it was in full down position. I tried to close it up and the flaps came up but not the top. I scanned this issue on line and saw your comments about the TSB's. I mentioned that to the dealer. He said the TSB's were only for technician benefit to know what to look at...but he did not think the dealership would make he repairs for free. I will have to talk to e actual service manager and see if this new dealership wants my business.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This happened to me 3 times...with my 08....first one I didn't pay for...but once out of warranty...I had to pay...flap motor was replaced..sensors replaced... they kind of have you... especially when your top is a quarter of the way up and stuck.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update on my wife's 08 TT roadster. About two weeks ago, she put the top down, wouldn't go back up. Same old symptoms, top goes down fine, activate button to close, flaps up that's all. Used hydraulic release valve in trunk, manually raised top, used switch to lock top and close flaps. Brought the car to the dealer, "repair" this time was to "re-adapt" flap sensors and motors. So far top is working. By the way, we bought the car new in 08 and this is the seventh time the top has failed in 8 years. We were not charged for the re-adaptation.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Here we go again!

Originally Posted by BSullivan
Update on my wife's 08 TT roadster. About two weeks ago, she put the top down, wouldn't go back up. Same old symptoms, top goes down fine, activate button to close, flaps up that's all. Used hydraulic release valve in trunk, manually raised top, used switch to lock top and close flaps. Brought the car to the dealer, "repair" this time was to "re-adapt" flap sensors and motors. So far top is working. By the way, we bought the car new in 08 and this is the seventh time the top has failed in 8 years. We were not charged for the re-adaptation.
Another update on this issue. The convertible top in the 08 TT roadsters is notorious for failing and/or being overly sensitive to the position of the two flaps. In February of this year (2016) wifes TT top mechanism failed again. Was fixed by dealer for free with a flap motor adaptation. It is now October and guess what, it got stuck open again. Here's the car's top history for reference.
We purchased the car in June 08,
Sep 08 - first failure dealer re-adapted top
Oct 08 - TSB 2018777, top still inop, top module replaced, roof flap assemblies replaced, re-adapted top.
June 09 - left and right flap motors replaced, top adjusted per TSB2015779/3
Sep 10 - flap motors replaced per TSB2018777/5 top adjusted per TSB2015779/5, flap motors adapted.
Aug 11 - top re-adapted
June 12 - Internal electrical failure of top. top module replaced, updated flap motors replaced, re-adapted
Thought everything was fixed when we went over a year but:
Feb 16 - flap motors re-adapted
Oct 16 - top failed in open position again. Going to dealer Oct 4.
Good thing we live in Phoenix area. The really bad thing is, the top stays up during the summer, too hot to use convertible even after dark. She/we use it mainly in the fall/winter/spring, so on average, the top is used maybe 3 or 4 times per month over the course of a year.
I cannot say anything bad about the dealer, I have not had to pay for top repair yet, just really - really annoying to have all these trips to the dealer. Will update the post when we get the car back with the fix.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default TT convertible top issues - different twist

Originally Posted by BSullivan
Another update on this issue. The convertible top in the 08 TT roadsters is notorious for failing and/or being overly sensitive to the position of the two flaps. In February of this year (2016) wifes TT top mechanism failed again. Was fixed by dealer for free with a flap motor adaptation. It is now October and guess what, it got stuck open again. Here's the car's top history for reference.
We purchased the car in June 08,
Sep 08 - first failure dealer re-adapted top
Oct 08 - TSB 2018777, top still inop, top module replaced, roof flap assemblies replaced, re-adapted top.
June 09 - left and right flap motors replaced, top adjusted per TSB2015779/3
Sep 10 - flap motors replaced per TSB2018777/5 top adjusted per TSB2015779/5, flap motors adapted.
Aug 11 - top re-adapted
June 12 - Internal electrical failure of top. top module replaced, updated flap motors replaced, re-adapted
Thought everything was fixed when we went over a year but:
Feb 16 - flap motors re-adapted
Oct 16 - top failed in open position again. Going to dealer Oct 4.
Good thing we live in Phoenix area. The really bad thing is, the top stays up during the summer, too hot to use convertible even after dark. She/we use it mainly in the fall/winter/spring, so on average, the top is used maybe 3 or 4 times per month over the course of a year.
I cannot say anything bad about the dealer, I have not had to pay for top repair yet, just really - really annoying to have all these trips to the dealer. Will update the post when we get the car back with the fix.
Okay, here's the update I promised.
The dealer diagnosed the problem this time as bad flap motor sensors. Wanted to charge me over $900 to fix. I reminded them, gently, that my records indicated the flap motors/sensors have been replaced 4 times and I didn't understand why I had to pay for a recurring failure and an obvious design flaw in the 08 TT roadster. Service technician talked to service manager and the answer was, Audi will fix the top this time for free but it will be the last time. If the top fails again you (meaning me) will have to pay for the repair. I reluctantly agreed and the top is now working correctly. Question is for how long. Wife is now seriously considering getting rid of TT and is recommending I get rid of my A6. We may.