TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Audi TT Convertible Top Issue

Old 08-27-2016, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top

Hi
I just buy my TT 2008 and after one day can t put the top back on its look like a verry bad problem for a convertible lol
Old 09-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The conv top on my 2012 works fine but I find the way it operates odd. Ie. when I lower the top, the side windows go down and the top goes down but the dash light will not go out until I have held the button up long enough for the side windows to start moving back up. Me personally, I prefer the windows to be down when I have the top down. Is it normal to have to hold the button until the side windows start going back up?

Last edited by tonywinga; 09-05-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, and you're probably better off letting them go fully up before releasing the button so the cycle is finished. I never want to upset the convertible top gods.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2015 roadster gives me grief sometimes when lowering the top. The windows go down half way but do not always cycle back up. When they stay down, the warning light stays on. So I will have to raise the top about five seconds, stop, then lower again. Sometimes works, sometimes not. On some occasions I've raised the windows and the light goes out or shut down the engine and boot back up. But I really can deal with it as my last vert was a G37S that ran amuck so bad once that it had to visit a body shop for roof paint and body work. At Infiniti expense.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top

Wow, thought that by now they would have solved the issues that have plagued me since I bought my 2008, until last years repair. Won't say anything else since I don't want to jinx myself (Check prior posts).
Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default My minor annoyance finally became a problem

Very early in this thread I mentioned that my "top not secure" light would come on if I had the top down for about 12 hours or more. Adjustments to the flap sensors did not fix the problem, but slightly raising and then lowering the top did so it was a minor annoyance. Finally, about a month ago, when lowering the top and holding the button for the windows to go up to complete the cycle, (AoA reps could never tell me why the windows need to go up when you put the top down. Seems counter-intuitive) my windows would stutter and the top not secure light would stay lit. Sometimes the light would go out but after exceeding the top's speed limit the light would come on immediately. Once the top refused to go down but after driving around half the day it began working again. In another recent isolated incident, the top went up put the windows froze half way up and would not budge (recycling the top down/up solved this glitch). Since I finally had a consistent failure with the alert light I took it to the dealer. He says the flap motors/sensors were fine but the top motor itself has position sensors in it to sense when the top is up/down and they were bad in my motor so it was replaced. I'll let you know if the fix is permanent.

The key finding here is that what I thought was a flap problem was actually a top motor problem that appeared like it might be a flap problem. Since Audi did not see fit to incorporate fault codes into the top system, correct diagnostic of the problems is pretty tough.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that input Vegas-roadster. I'd like to know later if the motor replacement was a final fix to your issue.
For sure my windows are all over the place or just stay halfway down on occasions and when either happen, the light stays on. Light only goes out when the windows come back up all the way. And I agree about the windows coming back up as counter intuitive!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Alas, the service writer gave me the wrong information

He told me over the phone that they replaced the motor to the top but the bill I got yesterday (done under warranty) said it was a flap motor. So far so good.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

While the new flap motor has solved my chronic issues, I still get my long term original annoyance of a "top not secure" alert sometimes when I leave the top down for extended periods, like overnight.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Geez, here we go again. I'm having doubts my service center could troubleshoot this issue. Last time I was in for service I told the service advisor of my issue and he said they'd clean the switches. HA! That raised a red flag and it's still acting up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi TT Convertible Top Issue