TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Choosing between a 2009 and a 2011 model

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing between a 2009 and a 2011 model

Hello all,

I will be buying a 2.0 TT very soon. Currently, I am stuck between getting a 2009 TT that I can afford comfortably or a 2011 that kinda pushes my budget limit. Both years have a mileage just over 100,000 Km (below 120,000 Km).

Is there an advantage for getting the newer 2011 model?

Also, anything I should watch out for in these models/cars with this mileage?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default 2011+ is the best of the base TTs

Originally Posted by mist303
Hello all,

I will be buying a 2.0 TT very soon. Currently, I am stuck between getting a 2009 TT that I can afford comfortably or a 2011 that kinda pushes my budget limit. Both years have a mileage just over 100,000 Km (below 120,000 Km).

Is there an advantage for getting the newer 2011 model?

Also, anything I should watch out for in these models/cars with this mileage?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Read this FAQ about MY differences and you will choose the 2011. Fourtitude.com - MK2 TT a5 FAQ

The Mk 2 has no chronic issues like the Mk 1 had.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Read this FAQ about MY differences and you will choose the 2011. Fourtitude.com - MK2 TT a5 FAQ

The Mk 2 has no chronic issues like the Mk 1 had.
I have read this before. Any other information?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just bought an 09 and love it. Was in a similar dilemma and decided to buy the cheaper car and definitely made the right choice.

I say go with the 09. Being over financed or car poor is never fun. You get a bit more torque with the 2011 but that is about it. You also get a timing chain rather then a timing belt. Problem is the tensioner for the timing chain was built poorly and still needs to be replaced every 75k miles. So regardless what year you need to budget that in if the previous owner has not already done that. It is a big job in america a timing belt replacement is 900-1100 depending what shop you use.

You can make an 09 faster then a 2011 with a safe reliable stage 1 apr tune for $600. The 2011 with same tune will only be marginally faster. I am coming from a slower car so my stock 2009 feels plenty fast and satisfactory without a tune but may do one later on.

These cars are awesome. Sporty and surprisingly practical due to the large amount of hatchback trunk space.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More thoughts

Originally Posted by Henry321
I just bought an 09 and love it. Was in a similar dilemma and decided to buy the cheaper car and definitely made the right choice.

I say go with the 09. Being over financed or car poor is never fun. You get a bit more torque with the 2011 but that is about it. You also get a timing chain rather then a timing belt. Problem is the tensioner for the timing chain was built poorly and still needs to be replaced every 75k miles. So regardless what year you need to budget that in if the previous owner has not already done that. It is a big job in america a timing belt replacement is 900-1100 depending what shop you use.

You can make an 09 faster then a 2011 with a safe reliable stage 1 apr tune for $600. The 2011 with same tune will only be marginally faster. I am coming from a slower car so my stock 2009 feels plenty fast and satisfactory without a tune but may do one later on.

These cars are awesome. Sporty and surprisingly practical due to the large amount of hatchback trunk space.
The numbers show you get more than "a bit more torque" with the non-tuned 11+ engine. A 25% boost according to Audi and a 33% boost according to APR. 0-60 is 6.1 for the 09 vs 5.3 for the 11+, and 1/4 mile is 14.8 vs 14.1. You also get xenon headlights standard, power seats standard, LED running lights standard, split dual tail pipes, rain sensor wipers standard, auto-dimming mirror standard, Bluetooth standard as compared to the 09 which did not even offer many of these items as options.

I agree that you should never buy more than you can afford. I also agree that tuning the 11+ seems to provide marginal improvement. I never looked into the pre-11 tune numbers but looking at the APR chip for the 11 did not seem to be worth the investment.

Your enjoyment does depend on what your prior car was. I was coming from a Mk 1 which had more pep than the pre-11 Mk 2. Test drives with the pre-11 Mk 2 seemed to me to lug at times around town if you were not in the sport mode. IMO this is the prime reason why the Mk 2 was a sales failure because there was no incentive for Mk 1 owners to trade up unless they spent the extra $ for the 3.2. By the time they fixed it in 2011, it was too late because the reputation of the Mk 2 had already been forever tarnished. Irrespective of the engine, any version of the Mk 2 is a far superior handling car than the Mk 1.

There have been a few cases reported regarding the timing chain but if you look at the various Mk 2 forums you rarely see it mentioned. Nowhere near as chronic as the Mk 1 timing belt. The Mk 2 timing belt assembly seems to be much improved as compared to the Mk 1 with no reports of premature failures. If you read the FAQ, Audi switched from a belt to a chain during the 09 MY so you need to check the engine code to determine what you have. So all 09s do not have a timing belt.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Henry321

Thanks for the reply, motivated me to go for the 09
Old 06-16-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
The numbers show you get more than "a bit more torque" with the non-tuned 11+ engine. A 25% boost according to Audi and a 33% boost according to APR. 0-60 is 6.1 for the 09 vs 5.3 for the 11+, and 1/4 mile is 14.8 vs 14.1. You also get xenon headlights standard, power seats standard, LED running lights standard, split dual tail pipes, rain sensor wipers standard, auto-dimming mirror standard, Bluetooth standard as compared to the 09 which did not even offer many of these items as options.

I agree that you should never buy more than you can afford. I also agree that tuning the 11+ seems to provide marginal improvement. I never looked into the pre-11 tune numbers but looking at the APR chip for the 11 did not seem to be worth the investment.

Your enjoyment does depend on what your prior car was. I was coming from a Mk 1 which had more pep than the pre-11 Mk 2. Test drives with the pre-11 Mk 2 seemed to me to lug at times around town if you were not in the sport mode. IMO this is the prime reason why the Mk 2 was a sales failure because there was no incentive for Mk 1 owners to trade up unless they spent the extra $ for the 3.2. By the time they fixed it in 2011, it was too late because the reputation of the Mk 2 had already been forever tarnished. Irrespective of the engine, any version of the Mk 2 is a far superior handling car than the Mk 1.

There have been a few cases reported regarding the timing chain but if you look at the various Mk 2 forums you rarely see it mentioned. Nowhere near as chronic as the Mk 1 timing belt. The Mk 2 timing belt assembly seems to be much improved as compared to the Mk 1 with no reports of premature failures. If you read the FAQ, Audi switched from a belt to a chain during the 09 MY so you need to check the engine code to determine what you have. So all 09s do not have a timing belt.
Those features can turn the table for me. I'll check if I can find a 2009 or 2010 with those features. If not, I'll wait a bit then go for a 2011 model. Thank you for the detailed reply
Old 06-19-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't brake the bank. I love my 2009 TT coupe 3.2. Bought it a few months back with only 43k miles on it, still nice and tight. I'm the 3rd owner. Avoid 2008 models, I had one and it emptied my wallet. Also owned a 2009 TTS coupe a few years back, due to $$, had to sell it, but also a very solid car. Good luck with purchase.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree that the 3.2 is a comletely different animal

Originally Posted by Dhynes
Don't brake the bank. I love my 2009 TT coupe 3.2. Bought it a few months back with only 43k miles on it, still nice and tight. I'm the 3rd owner. Avoid 2008 models, I had one and it emptied my wallet. Also owned a 2009 TTS coupe a few years back, due to $$, had to sell it, but also a very solid car. Good luck with purchase.
The 3.2 has plenty of power. Most folks who have them love them. The biggest plus is that, other than the TTRS, it is the only Mk 2 that was offered with a manual tranny.

However, as pointed out in the FAQ, the 2011+ version of the 2.0 is just as fast as the 3.2 in straight line acceleration, has better handling because there is 150 pounds less weight on the nose, and yet gets better gas mileage too.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More info on timing belt & timing chain maintenance

Talked to the service manager at my dealership yesterday to discuss this. He said they are not seeing any premature failures on the Mk 2 base TT and TTS timing belts. However, he said that if it were his car, he would replace the belt early for preventive maintenance at around 75K.

He said he has only seen timing chain issues on higher mileage TTs, starting around 150K, and then only if the engine oil had not been maintained properly at 10K intervals. Then he has seen chain tensioner failures due to oil sludge.

Quick Reply: Choosing between a 2009 and a 2011 model