TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Installed a Defi Racer Series White Bar Gauge this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Installed a Defi Racer Series White Bar Gauge this weekend...

Couldn't get my hands on a PSI one so I settled for a Bar (kPa) one. I'll eventually mentally convert

I didn't capture all of the process, but basically similar to other write-ups you'll find when searching.

- 034Motorsports boost tap
- OSIR vent mount ring (removed spacer to fit 60mm gauge)
- Defi Racer series gauge

Notes:
- Boost tap installed easily. Connect and secure boost hose before installing boost tap.
- I mounted my boost gauge's remote sending unit to the power steering reservoir. That was about as far as the supplied hose would extend while routing it to avoid heat and moving parts.
- I wrapped elec tape around section of coat hanger and the wiring to route wiring into cabin through the cut off nipple on the electrical wiring grommet.
- After the wires ran through, it caused the nipple to flip inside out. I pulled all the length into the cabin, wrapped some electrical tape as high up the wire inside the cabin (behind clutch pedal) that I could, then pulled it back into the engine bay so the electrical tape flipped the nipple the original way and sealed up any gap between it and the wiring.
- I connected the white illumination wire of my Defi gauge to ground, so that it never thinks the headlights go on, and thus never dims the gauge. I didn't want to mess with the PWM signal to make that work, but more notably I always drive with my lights on, so I didn't want the gauge to dim during the day, so I just forced it to full on always. I considered adding a switch to control it, and would only do that if I found it too bright at night. Time will tell.
- I trimmed the OSIR ring so the gauge front fit more flush. Details below.
- I disassembled the original vent slightly different that previously documented which I found much easier. Details below.

Parts:

When I started to pry the silver trim away from the bulk of the part, I had difficultly separating those (I gave up before I broke anything). However, I did notice the black ring inside the silver was popping out easily. So I removed that:

With that out of the way, I could now see how the silver was connected to the rest of the assembly - through 3 black plastic clips:

Put in flat screwdriver:

And press/twist and those retract easily. Move silver ring to keep it from popping back in and repeat with the other two:

And now you have what you need. Set aside the part on the right for someday should you need to reverse this:

Then you can put the black trim back inside the silver:

Here's another photo of the parts at this stage:

Here's the OSIR adapter fit in to the metal ring, being sure to line up the clips (they only fit one way)

Different angle:

Test fitting the gauge, it looks nice, but extends too far out for my desires:

I determined how much material to remove, and then using a razor blade, guide, and spacer, I carefully scored a line around the inside of the trim ring. I then cut it deeper; careful again. And then I started cutting away the material with side cutters. This wasn't working great as I knew I would need to clean up the job after with a file or similar. I didn't feel like taking out the dremel and making a mess.

Then I found that my score was deep enough that I could just bend back the material with pointy pliers and it would break nice and clean. So I continued that and then filed after as needed:

The result. Good enough considering it would all be hidden. I test fit and filed a little more in areas it need to sit lower.

Here was my final test fit, recessed flush as I desired:

Here was my final test fit, recessed flush as I desired:

Installed, angle view, off:

Installed, angle view, on:

Installed, angle view, zoomed, off:

Installed, angle view, zoomed, on:

Installed, straight, off:

Installed, straight, on:

Installed, driving position, off:

Installed, driving position, on (dimly lit in garage):

Installed, driving position, on (brighter outdoors):
Old 09-20-2016, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up. I'd keep the bar gauge as it looks right at home.

Regards,
mlfox