TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Looking at buying a '13 Audi TT RS sight unseen, hoping for some second opinions befo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a '13 Audi TT RS sight unseen, hoping for some second opinions befo

Alright, here's the deal. The car is a '13, 46k miles, the price is right. Pictures look super clean. I had a PPI done by what seems to be a reputable shop (Euro Motors in Orlando, FL). They found some stuff that gives me a bit of pause, but doesn't kill the idea. They said the car has a Hofele tune (I believe it's this), and had some minor peeling on the wheels, which I've asked for photos of. Otherwise, he said the vehicle drove great and he didn't see any problems.

This wouldn't be the first time I've purchased a tuned car, and I haven't had any bad experiences doing so. This is, however, the first time I've spent anywhere near this much on a vehicle. I can certainly afford it, but I'd hate to do this and regret my purchase.

I can't find much info about Hofele tuning at all, so I'm curious if anyone on here has more experience with their tunes and if it's something I should steer clear of. In general, I expect that a tuned car has been driven a bit harder, but I expect that all examples of these cars have been driven hard at some point in their lives.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Personally, I would never buy a tuned car unless I knew the owner or tuner. These days, a tune intself by a reputable company does not seem to effect engine life or reliability but I'll guaranty that a tuned car has always been driven much harder than 90% of non-tuned cars.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, that's my general feeling as well. With that said, I don't think that it's likely that any RS car out there hasn't been driven hard at some point, that's just the kind of market that these cars appeal to. Being driven hard does not inherently scare me away, I just want to know that the car has been properly cared for. I'm not 100% certain that I can say that about this car, which is where I'm hesitating.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm with both of you. I would hesitate purchasing a tuned car. I realize this probably increases the value for many, but all I can think about is what will it cost to replace that engine, etc. I'm pretty sure my RS was well cared for by the previous owner, but who knows, right? But I'm fairly confident the car was never stressed with more than 360 horses behind it.

I'll take interest in how this plays out...
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.hofele-motor-technik.com/...-rs-8j/401.htm

The attached link is what I was able to find on hofele tuning...You've likely found the same. They seem legit and very interesting to me. Impressive power output for sure.
Not being able to test drive the car would make me uneasy. TTRS's are special cars for sure. Enjoy!
Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, got some more info on the car today. Appears that the car did come with the black/red wheel option from the factory, so these wheels are refinished. The finish is coming off pretty badly on two, and would inevitably start to come off on the other wheels I'm sure. Would need to get them refinished. There's also a dent on the passenger door, and a scuff on the mirror.

Pics of the wheel, dent and mirror here.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good on the leasing, thanks...you also don't have any offers on the car I'm looking for. I don't think advertising is allowed on these forums, either.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default To echo the thoughts...

I would be very cautious with the TTRS... it is already a brute from the factory and tuning will no doubt add hp, but reduce liability and drive ability, etc. It is an expensive engine for parts and service. Tread with caution... in my opinion, Audi S and RS cars never lack power, so beyond exhaust/intake, I generally leave them alone. Brakes, suspension bits, wheel/tire combos are where I invest additional resources...

Happy Hunting

Eric
Old 02-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Eric - Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I'm all but definitely walking away from the tuned car at this point, I have a lead on what appears to be an immaculate white '12 with all the options I want and that's the direction I'm leaning now, totally stock I believe. Going to have a PPI done on that car today and may pull the trigger right away if all looks good!
Old 02-23-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Best wishes and good luck...

... send us a picture! What a great car - you will love it. Nothing sounds quite like that particular Audi engine. What a sweet wail...

Last edited by eric strauss; 02-23-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a '13 Audi TT RS sight unseen, hoping for some second opinions befo