TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Need Perspective on Warr Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Need Perspective on Warr Issue

Was wondering if you guys could help me put this in perspective:

2011 Audi TT Roadster, 35k miles still under factory warranty.

- At about 18k miles I mention to the dealer that something in the front suspension feels loose and you can hear and feel it when hitting bumps. No Problem Found

- Decide to switch dealers and mention this again to the dealer while its in for the 35k mile service. They do indeed fine something wrong with the steering column, only when they go to install the part they find that 2 of the 3 bolts that connect the steering column to the subframe cross member were stripped from the factory and cannot be tightened in place, and were most likely for their deduction never tighter to specs!

Car has been with the dealers for 4 weeks, and now they are saying it will be AT LEAST another 2-3 weeks until we get it back as they have to perform an aluminum subframe repair that requires Audi to assist. In other words, car will be out of service for almost 2 months!

Lemon law in TX only covers for 24 month/24,000 miles and would cover this since the car will be out of service for well over 30 days. Since I am at 35k miles its not so cut and dry, although I did at least notify them of the problem during the first 24k miles.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on whether I should push the issue with Audi corporate for some form of replacement or buy back. I have bought 4 Audi vehicles in the past 4 years so obviously I would think they would consider me a 'good' customer. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but the fact that it will be out of service for 6 weeks + while audi is working on this, during the warranty period, in my mind is pretty extreme. My dealer, however, has been very good in communication, etc. . .
Old 09-04-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me lemon law would apply only if problem couldn't be fixed on repeated attempts. As for Audi NA helping you out - I would definitely give them a call. I had a problem with my B8 S4 when new involving manual shifter that could not be fixed to my or their satisfaction. With incentives, they put me in my TTR which I love. I had some top issues with that car - requiring replacement of sensors and flap motors, etc. and my dealer repaired it on 2 or 3 occasions, even after the warrantee on the car expired. My experience with Audi both at the local and corporate level has been excellent. Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Audi assisting with the cost of the repair, as it seems they should? I would certainly follow through with Audi. Pursuing the lemon law might be premature at this point. I think you at least have to give Audi and your dealership a chance to fix the car. If you have a lease or loan payment, perhaps you can ask Audi to compensate you in that amount for the time the car has been out of service. That would be my initial approach.