TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

New 2012 TT Owner - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Ave
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2012 TT Owner - Questions

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2012 TT 2.0L TFSI Premium Plus, absolutely love it and had few questions:

1) Wanted to add Navigation and found a few used Audi Navigation Plus systems to replace the Audi Symphony - are these plug & play and will they function with the steering wheel controls? Alternatively, would you recommend an aftermarket which has the latest CarPlay, rear camera, Google Maps, etc options?

2) There's a dedicated light above the heating controls which states the Passenger's airbag is OFF. A bit freaked out given the car had been safety & tested - is this just bad wiring under the passenger seat which prompts the light or is the airbag actually disconnected?

3) Looking at winter tires and wanted to know all compatible rims/tire packages? Will all 5x112 work (even from A4/S4/other Sedans)? 245/40/R18 is the stock size though there's many options in 225/50/R17 or 225/45/R18 - would these be compatible?

Appreciate all feedback, thanks again.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Some answers

Originally Posted by Ave
Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2012 TT 2.0L TFSI Premium Plus, absolutely love it and had few questions:

1) Wanted to add Navigation and found a few used Audi Navigation Plus systems to replace the Audi Symphony - are these plug & play and will they function with the steering wheel controls? Alternatively, would you recommend an aftermarket which has the latest CarPlay, rear camera, Google Maps, etc options?

2) There's a dedicated light above the heating controls which states the Passenger's airbag is OFF. A bit freaked out given the car had been safety & tested - is this just bad wiring under the passenger seat which prompts the light or is the airbag actually disconnected?

3) Looking at winter tires and wanted to know all compatible rims/tire packages? Will all 5x112 work (even from A4/S4/other Sedans)? 245/40/R18 is the stock size though there's many options in 225/50/R17 or 225/45/R18 - would these be compatible?

Appreciate all feedback, thanks again.
The passenger airbag stays off until someone sits in the passenger seat.

Most folks want the most narrow tire for snow so that the PSI on the tread patch is highest and narrow tires are less likely to "ski". 225/50/17 were offered on the original bone stock Mk 2 TT. I carry a 205/60/16 as a spare that has no clearance issues and is the same diameter as the OEM tire options. In addition to bolt pattern on rims, you also need to consider offset. Rim clearance of brakes is easy to check with unmounted rims at your local tire/rim store.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a set of the 225/50/17 as my winter set up on my TTS. I got them for my '13 TT before I got the TTS, but they still cleared my brakes, so carried them forward to the TTS. I use Hakkapeliitta snow tires (have for the last 20 years) and love them. They are great in the snow, good in the wet, and not too noisy (for a winter tire) and I can get 2 or three seasons out of them depending on how many road trips I take. People have also had good luck with the Blizaks.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Ave
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your feedback. We just had a storm here in Canada (Greater Toronto area), I drove with my Pirelli all-seasons and they absolutely crushed it without issue. I've never felt that confident driving in the winter, will go another week to see how they perform. Feeling all 4 tires grip with traction control was great. Perhaps when the roads are icy the difference will be more noticeable.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Ave
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
The passenger airbag stays off until someone sits in the passenger seat.

Most folks want the most narrow tire for snow so that the PSI on the tread patch is highest and narrow tires are less likely to "ski". 225/50/17 were offered on the original bone stock Mk 2 TT. I carry a 205/60/16 as a spare that has no clearance issues and is the same diameter as the OEM tire options. In addition to bolt pattern on rims, you also need to consider offset. Rim clearance of brakes is easy to check with unmounted rims at your local tire/rim store.
So as long as the rims are 5 x 112 on 225/50/17 they can swap my 18's without issue as they're both stock sizes?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default You will not have an issue with tire interference

Originally Posted by Ave
So as long as the rims are 5 x 112 on 225/50/17 they can swap my 18's without issue as they're both stock sizes?
and no brake interference if the rim's offset is in the mid-40s
Old 12-24-2016, 09:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

On the navigation, i replaced the audi symphony with an aftermarket nav and it is amazing, got a back up camera hooked up and steering controls work, the downside is the parts are expensive, the kit, harness, steering controls is almost as much as the nav unit.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Ave
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by risedragon510
On the navigation, i replaced the audi symphony with an aftermarket nav and it is amazing, got a back up camera hooked up and steering controls work, the downside is the parts are expensive, the kit, harness, steering controls is almost as much as the nav unit.
Thanks, what unit did you get? Kenwood/Pioneer seem to be the best options from the reviews. I'm still considering the stock RNS-E to keep the factory look and costs reasonable (I found one used for $400 CDN). If I were to go with the factory Nav, what else would I require other than the harness and antenna adaptor?
Old 12-25-2016, 10:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got a pioneer and it looks pretty good IMO, got the lights red to match the rest of the car and apple carplay is nice. As for what else you would need for the stock unit i'm not sure, I read the stock nav was a pain to work with but i never actually tried one myself.