TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

New to TT problem with cd

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to TT problem with cd

I recently bought a 2012 TT Roadster and cannot figure out the cd. Looks like there may have been a cd changer in the glove box. the cd drive on the panel will not accept a cd?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default CD changer was an option

Originally Posted by fitzpp
I recently bought a 2012 TT Roadster and cannot figure out the cd. Looks like there may have been a cd changer in the glove box. the cd drive on the panel will not accept a cd?
The TT was wired for a changer but the changer was an option. No issues with my radio playing CDs. Which sound system do you have? Concert or Bose?

Most folks have foregone use of CDs in favor of digital media. I've loaded all my CDs on an iPod, many put their music on their phone. There is an auxiliary audio jack in the rear "tray" of the center console that you can plug anything into. The jack is hard to see on the roadster and is positioned on the right front facing lip. On the Concert, to engage AUX input just select the CD music source button and don't load a CD. Note that the equalizer on the Concert changes with the music source selected. So if you set it up for the FM radio and then switch to CD, the setting will change.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 05-17-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fitzpp
The cd slot behind the screen is set up for the Nav DVD. Won't play anything. I had the CD in the glove box and changed it out originally for the iPod tray. Since I didn't have all the other wiring for the iPod, it played like a CD, but I was able to keep the iPod in the glove box and charged. Since then I kept the tray, but slipped in a Tune to Air converter that allows me to play the iPod over Bluetooth. Still plays like a CD, but allows switching between the radio and the "CD" without fiddling with the iPod.

I used the AUX input between the seats, but when you switched between the AUX and the radio (for example) there was no pausing of the iPod so things just kept going independently. Using the iPod tray a/o the tune to air option lets you switch between different inputs without having to pause the iPod independently.

There is another thread in this forum with the part numbers for the switchover.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It depends on what you have which is why I asked the question

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
The cd slot behind the screen is set up for the Nav DVD. Won't play anything. I had the CD in the glove box and changed it out originally for the iPod tray. Since I didn't have all the other wiring for the iPod, it played like a CD, but I was able to keep the iPod in the glove box and charged. Since then I kept the tray, but slipped in a Tune to Air converter that allows me to play the iPod over Bluetooth. Still plays like a CD, but allows switching between the radio and the "CD" without fiddling with the iPod.

I used the AUX input between the seats, but when you switched between the AUX and the radio (for example) there was no pausing of the iPod so things just kept going independently. Using the iPod tray a/o the tune to air option lets you switch between different inputs without having to pause the iPod independently.

There is another thread in this forum with the part numbers for the switchover.
My 2011 Concert with no MMI option plays CDs just fine. Agree about the limitations of the AUX input. Like the AUX input on any sound system, it has no control over the source. For me, I have several playlists and always use the "shuffle", so it is just a matter of hitting one button to turn the iPod on or off, but I rarely listen to radio anymore. I used to listen to radio primarily for traffic alerts during work commutes but Waze has taken over that role for me.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 05-18-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
My 2011 Concert with no MMI option plays CDs just fine. Agree about the limitations of the AUX input. Like the AUX input on any sound system, it has no control over the source. For me, I have several playlists and always use the "shuffle", so it is just a matter of hitting one button to turn the iPod on or off, but I rarely listen to radio anymore. I used to listen to radio primarily for traffic alerts during work commutes but Waze has taken over that role for me.
I don't listen to commercial radio much either. Just screaming DJs and mediocre music. I just get the local news or the baseball game. And sometimes when stuck in traffic and the playlist isn't long enough to get me to Virginia, I'll switch to the sat-radio. Otherwise, just pick a looooong playlist and go!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not sure if it's my AUX input that's bad or the cables I buy. I've already bought two AUX cables and I always have to adjust the wire so it plays. Is there a known issue for the TTs AUX inputs? My TTs' year is 2009.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Never seen any complaints on this or two other Mk 2 boards I follow

Originally Posted by JNguyen_TTS09
I'm not sure if it's my AUX input that's bad or the cables I buy. I've already bought two AUX cables and I always have to adjust the wire so it plays. Is there a known issue for the TTs AUX inputs? My TTs' year is 2009.
Are you sure you have plugged it in all the way? It is a tight fit initially and can take some force.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh yeah, I make sure that sucker is all the way in. I ordered a couple more AUX cables to test them out.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JNguyen_TTS09
I have never had an issue with my AUX input (other than having to stand on my head to find it the first time). You may just have a loose connector at the input side between the seats. Worth a quick check for that.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL! Had a hard time finding mine too

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
I have never had an issue with my AUX input (other than having to stand on my head to find it the first time). You may just have a loose connector at the input side between the seats. Worth a quick check for that.
Someone on a forum suggested to me that it was easier to see from the back seat. Still looking for the back seat in my roadster.

Quick Reply: New to TT problem with cd