TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

New TT/TTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TT/TTS

I read the review of the new Audi TT and TTS, especially looking at the Roadster. I note that the new roadster will only be available with the smaller engine, and that a manual transmission will not be available on any of the incoming TTs this year. I am in the market for a car this Spring, and the TT is now off my list - unless Audi AG sees fit to import a new TTRS. It's the only TT I would take a second look at. The Boxster S or Cayman S are looking awfully good to me at this point. Are there others who feel as I do about the new TT?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default If you want a new car this Spring, you are out of luck for any Mk 3 TT

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I read the review of the new Audi TT and TTS, especially looking at the Roadster. I note that the new roadster will only be available with the smaller engine, and that a manual transmission will not be available on any of the incoming TTs this year. I am in the market for a car this Spring, and the TT is now off my list - unless Audi AG sees fit to import a new TTRS. It's the only TT I would take a second look at. The Boxster S or Cayman S are looking awfully good to me at this point. Are there others who feel as I do about the new TT?
The only official word I have heard about the Mk 3 release in the US is "late 2015" while dealers are still hoping to have them for sale sometime this summer at best. The latest official statements to the press say there will be a base coupe and roadster offered, as well as a TTS coupe which will be sold as 2016 models. All automatics. No one at Audi will confirm or deny if or when a TTS roadster will be sold in the US but those of us reading between the lines assume not in the 2016 MY since it was conspicuously missing from Audi communications on the Mk 3 release in the US. We know the TTS roadster exists because it is on the Audi.de configurator but it is interesting to note that it is not offered in the UK today. According to the latest edition of Quattro Quarterly, there will be a TTRS for the 2017 MY which I assume will be only a coupe as was in the Mk 2. No tranny has been mentioned for the US TTRS version yet.

Yeah there is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about the lack of a manual tranny but the auto has better acceleration numbers than the manual and 95% of drivers drive better with an auto 99% of the time. The auto gets better fuel economy and the US CAFE standards are forcing manufacturers to autos for the US market, except for low production specialty cars like the TTRS.

As far as the Boxster/Cayman S go, they are great cars. I'm anxious for Car & Driver to do a Lightning Lap test of the new TTS to see how it compares but given the HP boost of the new TTS and improved handling, I expect the TTS to be at least comparable, if not superior to those Porsches at a lot less money for comparably equipped cars. Furthermore< I fully expect the new TTRS to leave the Boxster/Cayman S in the dust as the Mk 2 version did in the Lightning Lap. At that time, the Mk 2 TTRS was the best bang for the buck for a performance car. Today, most enthusiasts agree that the new Corvette gets that honor but the real wolf in sheep's clothing, according to Lightning Lap, is the high performance model of the Camaro for even less money.

Frankly, as poorly as the Mk 2 sold in the US (only about 2000 cars/year for the past 7 years), I'm amazed that Audi is bothering to sell it in the US at all. The cost of US certifications for each model plus the cost of the logistics chain of parts inventory etc make the TT a financial loser in the US unless sales increase dramatically which I think is unlikely due to its pre-conception as a "girls car" which has yet to be shaken off despite the dramatic improvement in each generation. I think what killed the Mk 2 TT was the lower HP in the original MK 2 engine compared to the Mk 1 225. Yeah you could get a 3.2 with a manual but the extra 150 pounds on the nose created significant understeer. Only TT enthusiasts recognize the dramatic HP and torque performance boost that became standard in 2011 but by that time the Mk2 was doomed by pre-conception. The TT has been the worst selling mass produced sports car in the US and will likely continue to be so until the name and exterior design is changed. Personally, I love the car and am hopefully waiting for a Mk 3 TTS roadster to be sold.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 02-11-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
The only official word I have heard about the Mk 3 release in the US is "late 2015" while dealers are still hoping to have them for sale sometime this summer at best. The latest official statements to the press say there will be a base coupe and roadster offered, as well as a TTS coupe which will be sold as 2016 models. All automatics. No one at Audi will confirm or deny if or when a TTS roadster will be sold in the US but those of us reading between the lines assume not in the 2016 MY since it was conspicuously missing from Audi communications on the Mk 3 release in the US. We know the TTS roadster exists because it is on the Audi.de configurator but it is interesting to note that it is not offered in the UK today. According to the latest edition of Quattro Quarterly, there will be a TTRS for the 2017 MY which I assume will be only a coupe as was in the Mk 2. No tranny has been mentioned for the US version yet.

Yeah there is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about the lack of a manual tranny but the auto has better acceleration numbers than the manual and 95% of drivers drive better with an auto 99% of the time. The auto gets better fuel economy and the US CAFE standards are forcing manufacturers to autos for the US market, except for low production specialty cars like the TTRS.

As far as the Boxster/Cayman S go, they are great cars. I'm anxious for Car & Driver to do a Lightning Lap test of the new TTS to see how it compares but given the HP boost of the new TTS and improved handling, I expect the TTS to be at least comparable, if not superior to those Porsches at a lot less money for comparably equipped cars. Furthermore< I fully expect the new TTRS to leave the Boxster/Cayman S in the dust as the Mk 2 version did in the Lightning Lap. At the time, the Mk 2 TTRS was the best bang for the buck for a performance car. Today, most enthusiasts agree that the new Corvette gets that honor but the real wolf in sheep's clothing, according to Lightning Lap, is the high performance model of the Camaro for even less money.
Thanks for the info! I have read a great deal about these cars, and there's no question the automatics on German cars are incredibly capable - some of us "old" guys just love to shift for ourselves, even though the cars are slower with manual trannys. The new TT just doesn't do it for me - my TTR is a more basic car, and there's something nice about that. A Corvette, although it's a great bargain, is just not for me. Perhaps a very lightly used 911? I owed a 2004 C4S coupe that I bought in 2007 with 1100 miles and it was just a great car - got hammered when I sold it, since the 996's were not in demand once the 997's came out. May be the case now with the 997 having been replaced, I can get a really good low mile 911 coupe or cab for a "reasonable" (in Porsche terms) price. We'll see. Looking for something interesting this Spring. When I decide, someone is going to get a perfect 2008 TTR s-line 3.2V6 6MT with 34000 miles that is absolutely as new.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Folks who have the 3.2 really like them

Thanks for the info! I have read a great deal about these cars, and there's no question the automatics on German cars are incredibly capable - some of us "old" guys just love to shift for ourselves, even though the cars are slower with manual trannys. The new TT just doesn't do it for me - my TTR is a more basic car, and there's something nice about that. A Corvette, although it's a great bargain, is just not for me. Perhaps a very lightly used 911? I owed a 2004 C4S coupe that I bought in 2007 with 1100 miles and it was just a great car - got hammered when I sold it, since the 996's were not in demand once the 997's came out. May be the case now with the 997 having been replaced, I can get a really good low mile 911 coupe or cab for a "reasonable" (in Porsche terms) price. We'll see. Looking for something interesting this Spring. When I decide, someone is going to get a perfect 2008 TTR s-line 3.2V6 6MT with 34000 miles that is absolutely as new.
Agree that someone is going to get a real nice car
Old 02-11-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Agree that someone is going to get a real nice car
That's why I'm having such a tough time deciding to sell it. It's a great car that other than the top sensors, flap motors etc (fixed for past 3 years) has given me zero problems. Dependable and fun!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got flap sensor issues too

That's why I'm having such a tough time deciding to sell it. It's a great car that other than the top sensors, flap motors etc (fixed for past 3 years) has given me zero problems. Dependable and fun!
Says the top is "insecure" if I leave it down for more than a day. Maybe I should buy it a blankie LOL! Minor annoyance for many Mk 2 convertible owners.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Says the top is "insecure" if I leave it down for more than a day. Maybe I should buy it a blankie LOL! Minor annoyance for many Mk 2 convertible owners.
Have experienced exactly the same issue, even after they replaced all of my sensors and both flap motors. If I turn the car off then back on the warning light goes away. Yes, just a minor annoyance. Being near Philly, don't think I'll be lowering my top this weekend - predicting 4" of snow, 0 degrees and 60 mph wind. I hate winter.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Says the top is "insecure" if I leave it down for more than a day. Maybe I should buy it a blankie LOL!
Ha! I love this!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

?.......Being near Philly, don't think I'll be lowering my top this weekend - predicting 4" of snow, 0 degrees and 60 mph wind. I hate winter.
I don't think there will be any roadsters out this weekend....We are at about 7 feet of snow for the year with another foot expected today. Yep, I'm done with winter too.

Although the TT is an excellent winter car, and I have driven them the last 11 winters, this year I have given up and am using my backup vehicle. At least in my Toyota FJ I can *almost* seeover the snowbanks.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What is "snow"? Have had the top down almost all week here

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
I don't think there will be any roadsters out this weekend....We are at about 7 feet of snow for the year with another foot expected today. Yep, I'm done with winter too.

Although the TT is an excellent winter car, and I have driven them the last 11 winters, this year I have given up and am using my backup vehicle. At least in my Toyota FJ I can *almost* seeover the snowbanks.

Quick Reply: New TT/TTS