TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Spare tire info...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire info...

Greetings All,

One of the things that is of concern to me is having run flats or goop when dealing with a flat tire. Being old school, having a spare tire is my preferred method of dealing with this issue.

Seeing that the MK3 has the compact spare, I posed the question to them as to if it would fit on a MK2 TTS. Vegas-roadster replied that it would fit.

Also:
Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Same bolt pattern. The spare from the most recent version of the A4 will also work.
So "Thanks" for the info and I'm sure us old school folks will make great use of it.

Cheers,
Bull
Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm the self-proclaimed expert on spares for the Mk 2, having spent countless hours researching it. You will find a lot of discussion on this, mostly by me, in the Fourtitude Mk 2 forum if you do a search. Discussed are compact spares, almost full size spares (which I carry), full size spares, and inflatable spares. FYI, there was an article in a UK Mk 2 forum about converting the trunk for a compact spare but it does not work for North American Mk 2s because Euro models do not have the "hump" in the trunk.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will MK3 spare fit TTRS?
TA
Old 05-01-2016, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My guess

Originally Posted by Tim Allen
Will MK3 spare fit TTRS?
TA
The spare will fit the rear but may not clear the front brake. So worst case you may have to do a double switch - put the spare on the rear and move the good rear to the front.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to check with the Audi parts dept this week. I would also like a spare tire. But what is prompting me is that I just discovered I don't have a jack with my just bought (2 months) used TT coupe MK2. I'll follow up back on this thread with what information I get. I'm sure this is going to be expensive as my Hyundai spare kit cost over a $175.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Be prepared for sticker shock

Originally Posted by Dhynes
I'm going to check with the Audi parts dept this week. I would also like a spare tire. But what is prompting me is that I just discovered I don't have a jack with my just bought (2 months) used TT coupe MK2. I'll follow up back on this thread with what information I get. I'm sure this is going to be expensive as my Hyundai spare kit cost over a $175.
You can search this forum or the Fourtitude Mk 2 forum for my posts about spare options for the Mk 2 but as I remember, the compact spare for the A4 was around $350! If it had been under $200, I would have bought it. You can probably get a salvage one for a more reasonable price. You can get a nice scissors jack at pep boys or harbor freight that are better then the one sided "widow maker" in the Mk 1.

Don't expect any help from an Audi parts clerk. They have no clue that the A4 spare works for the Mk 2. Nor would they know which series A4 spare, which is the present series about to be replaced. If you do look into it, Post here if it is the same part number as the Mk 3 compact spare.

The expense of the A4 spare led me to my almost full size spare which was about $125. Go to your local discount tire store, get the cheapest and smallest rim that fits over the front brakes (16" for the base Mk 2) and then calculate the tire that makes the tire diameter correct. Then get the cheapest tire of that size on the rim. You will wind up with a spare a few inches narrower than the normal tire. The biggest advantage of the almost full size, besides cost, is that there are no distance or speed restrictions when using that spare.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

$350!!! Ouch! But for Audi, that sounds about right. lol. Your recommendation on a new rim and tall tire is a good idea. I'm going to visit my local town fair tire to check it out. I've gotta check out the height space under the car. I'd like to get a hydraulic lift pump, but need to see what my options are. They may not be as stable as a sissor jack.

Thanks Vegas
Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good point about clearance

Originally Posted by Dhynes
$350!!! Ouch! But for Audi, that sounds about right. lol. Your recommendation on a new rim and tall tire is a good idea. I'm going to visit my local town fair tire to check it out. I've gotta check out the height space under the car. I'd like to get a hydraulic lift pump, but need to see what my options are. They may not be as stable as a sissor jack.

Thanks Vegas
If the tire is totally flat, there is not much space to fit the jack under the rocker.

Let me know what works as an almost full size on the TTS. The question comes up occasionally.

Another advantage of the almost full size for my roadster, where trunk space is limited, is that I can use the "well" of the rim to stare stuff too. The compact spare does not have a well.

There is ample space under to trunk cover for the scissors jack, lug nuts for the new rim, etc. Audi gives you a lug wrench which I have never understood since there is no spare.

I'll get a Mk 3 in a few years and be glad to get my whole trunk again.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're running an 18" compact spare from a 2014 GTI. It fits over the V6's larger brake calipers front & back as well as the hump. It isn't the perfect tire size circumference wise but will work in a pinch. I was never able to find the right tire which I think was a 115/85/18 perhaps. $125 roughly off ebay.
All the original foam came out and I cut a new piece of 4" thick 4'X4' foam to fit to allow for the spare, fire extinguisher, battery, jack & tools - all cut into individual pockets.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you post a pic of the newly installed foam with the cut outs?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Spare tire info...