TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

tastic's tt build

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tastic's tt build

Hello AW members! I just picked up a '14 TT roadster. It will primarily be my wife's daily...though I'll be doing all the the mods/maintenance/detailing.

Currently, my own daily is a '13 mazda3 skyactiv...not much left to do with this ride, other than completing the tune I am in the middle of, so I'm glad I have the TT to tinker with now LOL! A couple of pics...

Name:  advans1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  273.1 KB

First thing we have to do is get a set of winters for the TT. I had always assumed I would be using whatever OEM wheels we got as the winters and getting an aftermarket summer setup, but since this TT was an S-line comp pkg, it came with the 19x9+52 wheels with the summer 255/35 rubber. I'm not sure if I want to put winters on the 19s.

I'm looking into getting a set of 18x8.5+35 to put winters on. What rubber size would you guys recommend?

I'm considering 225/45/18 or 245/40/18.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tastic
Hello AW members! I just picked up a '14 TT roadster. It will primarily be my wife's daily...though I'll be doing all the the mods/maintenance/detailing.

Currently, my own daily is a '13 mazda3 skyactiv...not much left to do with this ride, other than completing the tune I am in the middle of, so I'm glad I have the TT to tinker with now LOL! A couple of pics...

First thing we have to do is get a set of winters for the TT. I had always assumed I would be using whatever OEM wheels we got as the winters and getting an aftermarket summer setup, but since this TT was an S-line comp pkg, it came with the 19x9+52 wheels with the summer 255/35 rubber. I'm not sure if I want to put winters on the 19s.

I'm looking into getting a set of 18x8.5+35 to put winters on. What rubber size would you guys recommend?

I'm considering 225/45/18 or 245/40/18.
I have an '08 s-line with 19's that originally came with Pilot Sports. In winter (eastern PA) put on 18" stock turbine wheels with P-Zero Nero all-seasons which were fine and got me through any weather. But, honestly, was a pain to swap out wheels and tires every 6months, so I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the 19"s and have used them for the past 2 years - handling is fine in wet or dry and I've had no issues with snow - and hell, did we have a lot last year!! Works for me - but if you must have summer tires for more aggressive handling, swap out the 19"s for a set of 18"s and either A/S or good winter tires. Good luck!!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

It would be a shame to run those nice looking wheels in the winter. I am currently running a set of 17's on my TTS, but that is only because I had them left over from my '10 TT. (was running a -1 from the stock 18's). They work, but I will be updating to 18's soon, and they will be hub-centric. The set I have are not hub-centric and have centering rings that are a PITA with all capital letters! I don't have the issue of swapping the wheels, and since I spend a lot of time on the road in winter (it is my daily driver and I ski in NH and VT) I went with dedicated snows I am a big fan of Nokian tires). It all really comes down to your driving style, storage options for the extra wheels, and willingness to change them over. Not sure on the size of 18's I would go with, but usually tend to the larger sidewall option in the winter for a bit more compliance to the so-called roads here in MA in winter, but would depend on the wheel.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks...we live in Vancouver, BC so our winters are mainly freezing rain...not much snow accumulation that persists. I'm leaning towards a 245/40/18 over a 225/45/18 winter tire so I don't give up too much dry traction.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
It would be a shame to run those nice looking wheels in the winter. I am currently running a set of 17's on my TTS, but that is only because I had them left over from my '10 TT. (was running a -1 from the stock 18's). They work, but I will be updating to 18's soon, and they will be hub-centric. The set I have are not hub-centric and have centering rings that are a PITA with all capital letters! I don't have the issue of swapping the wheels, and since I spend a lot of time on the road in winter (it is my daily driver and I ski in NH and VT) I went with dedicated snows I am a big fan of Nokian tires). It all really comes down to your driving style, storage options for the extra wheels, and willingness to change them over. Not sure on the size of 18's I would go with, but usually tend to the larger sidewall option in the winter for a bit more compliance to the so-called roads here in MA in winter, but would depend on the wheel.
For me it became an issue of effort and storage - my dealer refused to store my wheels and tires (they do it for the guys who by A8's, but apparently not TT's) and I got sick of jacking my car up and swapping out the wheels myself.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Phil G.
For me it became an issue of effort and storage - my dealer refused to store my wheels and tires (they do it for the guys who by A8's, but apparently not TT's) and I got sick of jacking my car up and swapping out the wheels myself.
I found out (after many years of doing it myself) that my dealer would store them....go figure.....I found that out when they mounted some tires for me on my winter wheels, but since I had a flat in one of them I acutally had one of the summer wheels on the car and the flat in the back. When I picked up the car, I had extra tires. They thought I wanted to save them and remount them later due to a miscommunication. That was when I found out they would have just done the whole store/mount thing for me. Anyway, I still do my own and have to get a nice day as I don't have a garage and end up doing it in the driveway. But I've got it down to an hour or less for the whole rodeo as long as the wheels are waxed and ready to go.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, guys. I didn't know they offered storage. I guess it would be dealership specific as some places simply wouldn't have room.

I will ask, since the dealership is known to be one of the larger ones in the area, but just planned on doing it myself...I do it twice a year for my mazda anyway.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

It will probably vary from dealer to dealer. The one I go to is a fairly large Audi-Porche dealer that just did a ginormous upgrade to the building on the Audi side (messing with the Porche side now). I don't really mind as I can do the changeover on my schedule. You never know when you might get a Halloween surprise snowstorm again......
Old 10-22-2014, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
I found out (after many years of doing it myself) that my dealer would store them....go figure.....I found that out when they mounted some tires for me on my winter wheels, but since I had a flat in one of them I acutally had one of the summer wheels on the car and the flat in the back. When I picked up the car, I had extra tires. They thought I wanted to save them and remount them later due to a miscommunication. That was when I found out they would have just done the whole store/mount thing for me. Anyway, I still do my own and have to get a nice day as I don't have a garage and end up doing it in the driveway. But I've got it down to an hour or less for the whole rodeo as long as the wheels are waxed and ready to go.
I've only bought 9 or 10 Audis from my dealer, so go figure why they wouldn't store them for me! As for swapping out all 4 wheels in an hour - yeah, I could do that. Before I got my Medicare card
Old 10-22-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I've only bought 9 or 10 Audis from my dealer, so go figure why they wouldn't store them for me! As for swapping out all 4 wheels in an hour - yeah, I could do that. Before I got my Medicare card
I am getting to that point in my driveway care care life myself. I think having some strapping young lad do it for me is definitely an improved option!

Quick Reply: tastic's tt build