TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Temperature stays at cold, HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature stays at cold, HELP PLEASE!

It has probably been a week now since I noticed my temperature gauge stays at cold the entire time. It doesn't rise at all, even when the engine is definitely warmed up from driving. This issue happened all of a sudden, the day before it happened it was working perfectly fine. I check the oil temperature on the digital menu and oil temperature is normal. I also don't have a check engine light on or any other lights on, but can it still be a sensor? It's an '09 TTS that just hit 40k miles. Does anyone know what it could be? I really hope it's not the instrument cluster because I heard they're expensive.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JNguyen_TTS09
It has probably been a week now since I noticed my temperature gauge stays at cold the entire time. It doesn't rise at all, even when the engine is definitely warmed up from driving. This issue happened all of a sudden, the day before it happened it was working perfectly fine. I check the oil temperature on the digital menu and oil temperature is normal. I also don't have a check engine light on or any other lights on, but can it still be a sensor? It's an '09 TTS that just hit 40k miles. Does anyone know what it could be? I really hope it's not the instrument cluster because I heard they're expensive.
Bump
Old 04-18-2016, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wife had the same problem in her TT. Turned out to be the temp sensor failed and the thermostat had stuck open. I had not expected both failures at once. Had dealer replace and all is well.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by JNguyen_TTS09
Bump
I ordered a new sensor which should be here by Wednesday. My check engine light also recently turned on which indicated a P2181 fault code which is "cooling system performance". My uncles who are mechanics checked the car and determined that it's the sensor that's bad since the car isn't overheating, no coolant leaks, and fans are working fine. Hopefully when they change the sensor all will be well again. I do have one question though, how much did the dealer charge to do the thermostat if you paid out of pocket? I got a quote from a shop that specializes in European cars for $400, does that seem about right?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sensor did it!

Originally Posted by BSullivan
Wife had the same problem in her TT. Turned out to be the temp sensor failed and the thermostat had stuck open. I had not expected both failures at once. Had dealer replace and all is well.
My sensor that I had ordered from Amazon did the trick! Replaced the old sensor and cleared the code, next thing you know the sensor moves straight to the middle like it's supposed to.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Womp womp

Originally Posted by BSullivan
Looks like I'm going to have to replace the thermostat as well afterall. This morning when I got to work I noticed my temperature gauge stay on cold again. Kind of a bummer since its only been 4 days since the coolant temperature sensor replacement, but at least I know that is has to be the thermostat... I'm going go call Audi and see how much they charge, if not I might bring it to a shop that specializes on European vehicles that previously quoted me $400 for the whole thermostat job. Sound reasonable?
Old 04-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Been busy but in my wife's case, the car was still under warranty. No out of pocket cost. It is interesting that sensors and thermostats tend to fail at the same time