TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Tighter steering in normal mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tighter steering in normal mode

Hi,
I have a 2014 TTS Roadster and i was wondering if there is a way to change the setting with the vag-com so i could keep the tighter steering from sport mode in normal mode
Old 10-17-2016, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I think your best bet would be to talk/email one of the one of the chip burning companies (APR, GIAC, etc...) and see if that is even possible.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tighter steering? I've seen this alleged in a few places, but I don't believe sport mode on the TT alters steering. It does stiffen the suspension (magnetic ride), which enhances handling. I'd enjoy reviewing any documentation that suggests actual steering changes, please share if you have details.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is surely something happening in the steering when the sport mode is switch on on a TTs, i don't know on a TT but on a TTs on normal mode the steering feel loose, when the sport mode is switch on, the steering feel tighter and the car feel like it's on rails, the only downside is the suspension stiffness on an every day usage. wich bring to the question as if there is a way to keep the tighter steering with the comfort of the normal mode suspension
Old 10-21-2016, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your description that the car feels like it is on rails in sport mode is a product of the stiffer suspension achieved in sport mode. Steering itself is not changed, for example, the steering ratio is not modified. The pitch / roll / sway is minimized, therefore the mass of the car follows changes in speed and direction more precisely, and steering will feel tighter. In my opinion, you could not modify this functionality to tighten the steering independently of the other sport mode characteristics and behaviors.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by crewltof
Your description that the car feels like it is on rails in sport mode is a product of the stiffer suspension achieved in sport mode. Steering itself is not changed, for example, the steering ratio is not modified. The pitch / roll / sway is minimized, therefore the mass of the car follows changes in speed and direction more precisely, and steering will feel tighter. In my opinion, you could not modify this functionality to tighten the steering independently of the other sport mode characteristics and behaviors.
You may be right but the steering have a completely different feeling when in sport mode even on a perfectly strait and even road. it really feel tighter
Old 10-22-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

After surfing the web, I haven't been able to find anything that suggest the steering ratio is altered when in sport mode. From what you just said, I'm thinking you're feeling a better steering response due to the stiffing of the electro-magnetic shocks and the almost 1/2" drop. I would drop my car every time I drove it. I miss that feature.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would drop my car every time I drove it. I miss that feature.
The sport mode completely change the whole dynamic of the car, I always have it in sport mode except when the road is too rough because i really don't like the loose steering feeling in normal mode. The sport mode is a really nice feature and when the shifter is shift to sport mode too, then, it wake up the beast and bring a smile on my face