TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TT left taillight intermittent issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT left taillight intermittent issues

Hi all;

I have been looking at these forums for a long time and they have been a great resource. I was hoping to get a little help with an issue with my left taillight on a 09 3.2 TT.

As I'm driving I intermittently get an error to check my taillight (and more recently the turn signal) on the left; but when I stop the car and check it, the light is working.

I looked at the forums before and found information that is pretty similar to the issue for the A6:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...746075/page7/#

I disassembled the light and check the leads and found corrosion on the ground. I cleaned it and the error went away for a few years.

Now the problem is back and even after cleaning it with some alcohol, it only got rid of the error for a few weeks.

I was considering replacing the wiring harness and the bulb holder. Before doing this; I was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts on how to troubleshoot.

Also, I wasn't able to find a part number and information on installing the wiring harness. Does anyone know how easy/difficult this is?

I also saw a post on creating a separate ground on the taillight- but this seems a little extreme:
Intermittent Taillight Issue - Page 2

Thanks
Old 10-20-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem a few years ago. Mostly occurred on the right side but then started to happen on the left also. Since the car was still under warranty, the problem was fixed by the dealer. They replaced the connectors and the ground wires. The description was "shorted grounds on both left and right tail lights".

This has been written up many times on the forums for the TT. Mine is a 2008 roadster.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Alan4.2
I had the same problem a few years ago. Mostly occurred on the right side but then started to happen on the left also. Since the car was still under warranty, the problem was fixed by the dealer. They replaced the connectors and the ground wires. The description was "shorted grounds on both left and right tail lights".

This has been written up many times on the forums for the TT. Mine is a 2008 roadster.
Mine is no longer under warranty; all the posts suggest that this should be an easy fix; however I couldn't find the part number or a link for the connector.

I have cleaned the ground lead a few times; but I'm not sure how to replace the harness
Old 11-12-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Have you found an answer??

Originally Posted by ng12345
Hi all;

I have been looking at these forums for a long time and they have been a great resource. I was hoping to get a little help with an issue with my left taillight on a 09 3.2 TT.

As I'm driving I intermittently get an error to check my taillight (and more recently the turn signal) on the left; but when I stop the car and check it, the light is working.

I looked at the forums before and found information that is pretty similar to the issue for the A6:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...746075/page7/#

I disassembled the light and check the leads and found corrosion on the ground. I cleaned it and the error went away for a few years.

Now the problem is back and even after cleaning it with some alcohol, it only got rid of the error for a few weeks.

I was considering replacing the wiring harness and the bulb holder. Before doing this; I was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts on how to troubleshoot.

Also, I wasn't able to find a part number and information on installing the wiring harness. Does anyone know how easy/difficult this is?

I also saw a post on creating a separate ground on the taillight- but this seems a little extreme:
Intermittent Taillight Issue - Page 2

Thanks
Hello my name is Jen and I have the same problem and have not been able to find a solution. My brake light decides to work whenever I clean the corrosion off the adapter but then decided to not work a couple weeks after. Have you found a solution? If so can you tell me where you got the parts for it? I know that the ground wire is the problem because the corrosion is right above the little hole where the ground wire goes. (Sorry I'm not to sure about the names of anything) I can include pictures but I would be veryyyyy grateful if you can tell me what you did. I've looked at so many forums but I need to know if I have to replace the whole adapter and the ground wire or the whole brake light housing.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2015, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same problem, and replacing the connector will only be a temporary fix. Honestly Audi should have done a recall to fix the substandard wiring. The only permanent solution will be to provide a better ground connection. It's a pretty easy fix, and you can follow the instructions here:
The following users liked this post:
Superswede74 (01-17-2021)
Old 12-04-2015, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you!!!

Yes this is exactly what I need to do!! But I am still a little co fused at some parts (I'm a girl so I need exactl explanation and I don't want to mess anything up) is there any way you can email me so I can ask you about the materials you used? I am also a little confused on what you did under the car and e-mail is a little easier. I just want to make sure to get all the things I need and do it correctly. I would be so thankful because my light have been off for a while and I've been driving like this trying to find a solution that doesn't cost me the money I don't have! My email is Jeniecelinan@gmail.com.

Originally Posted by ebusch
I've had the same problem, and replacing the connector will only be a temporary fix. Honestly Audi should have done a recall to fix the substandard wiring. The only permanent solution will be to provide a better ground connection. It's a pretty easy fix, and you can follow the instructions here: Audi TT Mk2 Rear Light Error Repair OEM Method Earthing Issue - YouTube
Old 12-04-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by ebusch
I've had the same problem, and replacing the connector will only be a temporary fix. Honestly Audi should have done a recall to fix the substandard wiring. The only permanent solution will be to provide a better ground connection. It's a pretty easy fix, and you can follow the instructions here: Audi TT Mk2 Rear Light Error Repair OEM Method Earthing Issue - YouTube
If you can't it's okay we can talk through this forum I just know I'll have some questions and I am new to this site. Is there a direct message option?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bump...

Giving this post a bump since I've been monopolizing this forum as of late.

Cheers,
Bull
Old 12-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had this problem twice on the left side tail light. The first time I located the corroded terminal, cleaned it out and re-installed the tail light assembly. When the problem occurred the second time about a year later, I cleaned the terminal thoroughly with a very small pointed file, and coated the connector with Bulb Grease to help keep moisture out. No problems for two years.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:43 PM
AOP
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a problem with an A6 R rear indicator with moisture in it. Still under warranty and Audi decline to fix/repair and want to charge almost AUS$1000 to replace !!!!!!!, Its a completely sealed unit and despite 2 trips to the Audi service centre no-one can find the source of the moisture.

Unbelievable lack of after sales care, no way to engender brand loyalty.

This will be the 1st and last Audi I purchase

Quick Reply: TT left taillight intermittent issues