TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Convertible -- how to wash soft top?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible -- how to wash soft top?

Hello all,

Just bought my first audi which is also my first convertible. I was just wondering what others do to keep the soft top in good clean condition. Will running it through a car wash mess it up?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't run ANY car I actually liked through a car wash....but that is just me. Between the bumper thingys that align you in the wash rack messing with the wheels and the who knows how clean water and "kelp" scrubbers, I just won't go there. A good hand wash with a reputable car soap, rinse well and hand dry will work out just fine. My hubby had an '01 roadster and the top still looked new when he traded it 6 years later. And this was a daily driver in New England.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Agree. Never run a convertible through a car wash.

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
I wouldn't run ANY car I actually liked through a car wash....but that is just me. Between the bumper thingys that align you in the wash rack messing with the wheels and the who knows how clean water and "kelp" scrubbers, I just won't go there. A good hand wash with a reputable car soap, rinse well and hand dry will work out just fine. My hubby had an '01 roadster and the top still looked new when he traded it 6 years later. And this was a daily driver in New England.
I've owned convertibles for over 30 years and TT roadsters since 2001. I've heard too many stories of glass falling out after hitting the car wash's blowers.

I hand wash my top with a good brand car wash soap twice a year and would recommend no more than 4 times a year. Use a new clean cloth. The reason soap works is that it is chemically designed to attach to dirt and lift it away. Therefore any soap residue left on the top material will ATTRACT dirt that will stick to the top, so it is crucial to rinse the top well after washing. Never hand dry the top. Let it air dry. After it is dry, spray it with ScotchGuard. All the high priced convertible top water repellents sold are just the equivalent of ScotchGuard. Make sure you cover you glass with newspaper prior to spraying. It will help with clean-up. There is no need for conditioners, etc.

If the top gets dirty between washings, just rinse it off with water and let air dry. I only rinse mine off only when absolutely necessary because it erodes some of the Scotchguard each time you do it. I've never had to replace a top due to wear or leaking.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wash mine with the same gentle car wash soap I use on the rest of the car, then rinse with the hose.
Trick: My top is black and I use a black terry cloth towel to dry it - black towel = no noticible lint.

Twice a year I use RaggTop treatment on it - beads water.
True, my car is garaged, but after almost 14 years the top still looks new.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 'Ski
I wash mine with the same gentle car wash soap I use on the rest of the car, then rinse with the hose.
Trick: My top is black and I use a black terry cloth towel to dry it - black towel = no noticible lint.

Twice a year I use RaggTop treatment on it - beads water.
True, my car is garaged, but after almost 14 years the top still looks new.
Nice! I didn't know they even made stuff like that. Found this video on 303 vs RaggTop: