TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

TTS vs. Boxster vs. Z4 vs. Others?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS vs. Boxster vs. Z4 vs. Others?

I know this has been discussed tons of times before - but I was hoping to get some feedback for my specific situation. I'm considering getting a roadster (CPO from 2011-2012) for the summers. I will not be tracking the car.

Boxster
I currently have a Porsche (Macan) and it would be convenient to have a Boxster just from having the same interfaces, same dealership for service, etc.. On the flip side, the Boxster Base is too slow, the Boxster S is too pricey. Also, after market performance upgrades add limited HP and are tricky because of the mid-mounted engine.

TTS
I've had an A7 before and love Audi's. I haven't really done any work on a car in a while but wouldn't mind getting involved with tuning & performance upgrades. The TTS seems to have tons of ECU, intake, etc.. upgrades that are relatively cheap and I'd be able to do myself. On the flip side, it's not a Porsche and can't compete with Porsche handling. The resale prices are also relatively high (almost as much as Boxster S in some cases).

Z4
I always shift my own gears (even in the auto trannys). The BMW opposite upshift/downshift directions compared to my current daily driver Porsche Macan (that I'm keeping) would drive me nuts. So I'd have to rule it out just based on that alone.

Nissan 370Z / Miata / Etc
I haven't driven the 370Z but reviews don't seem great (especially regarding the auto tranny). The Miata (even the new one) would probably be too under powered and stripped down for my liking. Although I have never driven a Miata.

Any other choices I'm missing? I seem to be in between the TTS and Boxster. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by amelen; 10-14-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

PM sent
Old 10-15-2014, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default TTS is the best bang for the buck

It's slightly slower than a comparable Boxster S on the track according to C&D Lightning Lap data, but much faster than the Z4 or 370Z. If you travel a lot, the TTS roadster trunk is much more useable than the Boxster's split trunks. My friends who have Boxsters have experienced much higher routine maintenance cost than the TT roadsters I have owned. The Miata is a great car for the money, but too spartan and punishing a ride for me for long distance driving.

I have a personal bias against the Boxsters. Although they drive great, I just don't like a car that won't allow me to inspect the engine bay prior to a long trip. As you pointed out, the Boxster's mid-engine is totally obscured.

Personally, I'm holding out for the Mk 3 TTS which, on paper, is going to be a screamer.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadsTTer
It's slightly slower than a comparable Boxster S on the track according to C&D Lightning Lap data, but much faster than the Z4 or 370Z. If you travel a lot, the TTS roadster trunk is much more useable than the Boxster's split trunks. My friends who have Boxsters have experienced much higher routine maintenance cost than the TT roadsters I have owned. The Miata is a great car for the money, but too spartan and punishing a ride for me for long distance driving.

I have a personal bias against the Boxsters. Although they drive great, I just don't like a car that won't allow me to inspect the engine bay prior to a long trip. As you pointed out, the Boxster's mid-engine is totally obscured.

Personally, I'm holding out for the Mk 3 TTS which, on paper, is going to be a screamer.
Mk3 TTS looks great, but is still 9mo away and will be selling at/above MSRP for a while I think.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can't go wrong with the TT. My experience has been very positive with my TT coupes, and our MK I TT roadster was also great. And Porche repairs, even just routine maintenance can be a bear due to the mid engine design (we have a Cayman). As to the shared dealer experience, my dealer handles both Audi and Porche. Perhaps there is one like that in your neighborhood?

I can't speak to modern Miatas as mine was one of the original MK I (with a whopping 116 hp) but even now they are not in the same league with the TT.

You mentioned not planning on tracking the car. The TT and, in my opinion, the TTS, is a very useable, fun, spirited and if you wish modable car.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi does not allow charging over MSRP

Originally Posted by amelen
Mk3 TTS looks great, but is still 9mo away and will be selling at/above MSRP for a while I think.
. If you are a member of ACNA you get a 6% discount from MSRP.