TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Used TT or TTS (2011+)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:49 AM
els
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used TT or TTS (2011+)

Hi,

I'm looking at some used TT/TTS and am not really in a rush to buy one though TTS seems to be a bit hard to find locally. It'll be my DD (I currently drive old 4Runner which will be replaced with TT/TTS). I do have SQ5 which I will keep. I think I like at least 2011 but am not quite sure which model to get. TT has newer engine EA888 while TTS has older engine EA113. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer as to which one is better. I will likely do stage 1 tune. TT S-line might be a good option but I'm not sure what would be missing compared to TTS (brakes?). Ideally, something that is fairly reliable and easy to maintain. In a couple years, I'll upgrade to MK3.

Thanks in advance for insight.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a base 2009 TT (mostly because of money or lack there of). I can't attest to which model is better per say but I will say that my experience with Audi TT's you can't go wrong with any of them. I know the base TT has more torque on the lower end which is very nice! but TTS has great torque on the top end. It is really about what you want to use the car for and what you expect to get out of it as to which model you should choose. Someone with more knowledge can correct me if i am wrong though.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Read this FAQ

Originally Posted by els
Hi,

I'm looking at some used TT/TTS and am not really in a rush to buy one though TTS seems to be a bit hard to find locally. It'll be my DD (I currently drive old 4Runner which will be replaced with TT/TTS). I do have SQ5 which I will keep. I think I like at least 2011 but am not quite sure which model to get. TT has newer engine EA888 while TTS has older engine EA113. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer as to which one is better. I will likely do stage 1 tune. TT S-line might be a good option but I'm not sure what would be missing compared to TTS (brakes?). Ideally, something that is fairly reliable and easy to maintain. In a couple years, I'll upgrade to MK3.

Thanks in advance for insight.
It may give you better insight. Fourtitude.com - MK2 TT a5 FAQ

The TTS is the better performer but the new engine in the base 2011+ TT narrowed the gap considerably. That engine was significantly under-speced by Audi, IMO to avoid poaching TTS sales.

The TT/TTS is a rare car with only about 2000 sold per year. So to get the car you want and/or a decent price you will have to search at least 250 miles (cars.com, autotrader, etc). When I shop I do a nationwide search. Last time I had the itch was last December and there were several TTS for sale for only a few $k more than the base TT.

For maintenance, the TTS has a timing belt that needs periodic replacement while the 2010+ base TT has a chain (again read the FAQ).
Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 AM
els
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
It may give you better insight. Fourtitude.com - MK2 TT a5 FAQ

The TTS is the better performer but the new engine in the base 2011+ TT narrowed the gap considerably. That engine was significantly under-speced by Audi, IMO to avoid poaching TTS sales.

The TT/TTS is a rare car with only about 2000 sold per year. So to get the car you want and/or a decent price you will have to search at least 250 miles (cars.com, autotrader, etc). When I shop I do a nationwide search. Last time I had the itch was last December and there were several TTS for sale for only a few $k more than the base TT.

For maintenance, the TTS has a timing belt that needs periodic replacement while the 2010+ base TT has a chain (again read the FAQ).
Thanks DrewWick10 and Vegas-roadster. I did test drive 2010 TTS the other day and turbo lag was very noticeable.

Given the lack of timing belt in 2010+ TT and the engine is more modern does that mean it's more reliable and can withstand more HP with a tune? I know I don't like to have to replace the timing belt every 60K which I do with my 4Runner. I'm not sure how much it cost to replace timing belt in TTS - with my 4Runner if I recall at an independent Toyota shop I would think it's around 1K (can't remember how much it was).

I've started to look 500+ miles for used TT/TTS. There are a few. Some TT come with S line package which I assume has everything including sport suspension and such except quad exhaust?
Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by els
Thanks DrewWick10 and Vegas-roadster. I did test drive 2010 TTS the other day and turbo lag was very noticeable.

Given the lack of timing belt in 2010+ TT and the engine is more modern does that mean it's more reliable and can withstand more HP with a tune? I know I don't like to have to replace the timing belt every 60K which I do with my 4Runner. I'm not sure how much it cost to replace timing belt in TTS - with my 4Runner if I recall at an independent Toyota shop I would think it's around 1K (can't remember how much it was).

I've started to look 500+ miles for used TT/TTS. There are a few. Some TT come with S line package which I assume has everything including sport suspension and such except quad exhaust?
There is no evidence that any of the base TT engines is more/less reliable.

Regarding the S-line package - again READ THE FAQ!!! Except for 1" bigger rims, the S-line option was purely cosmetic until 2013 and then only if you ordered the S-line competition package as opposed to the plain S-line package. The comp package came with black rims. There is a common misconception that all S-line cars have a 1/2" lower CG but that is not true unless you got the comp package. For even more information on each MY look at the AudiWorld Model Guide Model Guide - Audi TT - AudiWorld
Old 02-28-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't suppose you would be interested in 2008 VR6 manual TT?

I'm looking to sell my beloved MkII 3.2 VR6 MT6 Coupe in next few months...

Originally posted this in The Car Lounge on Fourtitude: Fourtitude.com - Decided to change my silver, AWD, MT, NA engined German coupe for another one!!

Just saying! It's a pretty rare car with a manual VR6. :-)