TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

What is this between my seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this between my seats?

I just bought a 2008 TTS and between the seats, right below the rear storage box, is this:
It looks like something electronic can go on top because of the metal contacts. Can someone please tell me what this is for?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe that is some sort of an older style phone cradle. I have never actually seen one before. Usually there is just a filler piece that I use as a mini package shelf for my phone or such items. Don't know what actually mates up with it.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I thnk it was for iPods

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
I believe that is some sort of an older style phone cradle. I have never actually seen one before. Usually there is just a filler piece that I use as a mini package shelf for my phone or such items. Don't know what actually mates up with it.
My 2011 roadster has a flat tray there and no "AUX" button. However, if you look in the tray corner nearest the AUX button, you should see an input for a audio mini-jack facing backwards. For a TT with the Concert stereos, you can plug in any audio device via this mini jack. If you use this jack, and if there is no CD inserted in the stereo, when you press the CD button on the stereo the stereo will light up as" EXT. Source" and play the music from the mini-jack. In your case, you may also need to do something with the AUX button.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadsTTer
My 2011 roadster has a flat tray there and no "AUX" button. However, if you look in the tray corner nearest the AUX button, you should see an input for a audio mini-jack facing backwards. For a TT with the Concert stereos, you can plug in any audio device via this mini jack. If you use this jack, and if there is no CD inserted in the stereo, when you press the CD button on the stereo the stereo will light up as" EXT. Source" and play the music from the mini-jack. In your case, you may also need to do something with the AUX button.
Thanks for the reply Vegas. In the pic, it looks like an Aux button, but it's actually a cover to the aux mini-jack you were mentioning.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Guess they changed the configuration

Originally Posted by benjamin247
Thanks for the reply Vegas. In the pic, it looks like an Aux button, but it's actually a cover to the aux mini-jack you were mentioning.
Probably because the jack was accidently getting sheared off by an elbow frequently if it was standing up. I only have the 12V item.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

They probably put the "Aux" connector in that location on the early Mark 2's since the phone unit that mounted on that plate took up the whole space & wouldn't allow access where the later Aux connectors are located.
That's probably a good point about why they relocated the connector from the top of the console to the backside inside what is now just a parcel tray.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Definitely an Audi telephone cradle
Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, that's it! And I just looked at the prices...way to much just to have a place for my phone to sit and charge. I wonder if there's a way to put an extra glove box over it.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is what the tray looks like in my coupe. This works out pretty well as a small bag/phone/snack shelf. I agree that the phone cradle takes up a lot of space for what you can get out of it. Just as easy to plug an adapter into the 12V.
Attached Images   
Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I knew I had seen this somewhere (thank goodness for a forum search function). It's from the Audizine TT forum - MK2 TT Phone holder replacement

Quick Reply: What is this between my seats?