TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Why such low volume

Old 04-16-2015, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why such low volume

I'm new to the forum, and I'm very interested in the upcoming 2016 TTS. One thing that worries me is the fact that the TT model is selling so poorly. For March 2015, only 11 (literally just eleven) TT were sold in the whole country. For the year, it's a little under 400 total. I can't find a dealer that even carries a new TT, much less a TTS. C&D claims that the anticipation for the new model is what is driving sales to low levels. But 11 sales, really?

I don't need to be sold on the car's virtues (do I?), but it worries me that Audi may pull out of the market. A related worry, is resale value. What are the residuals on these after 2 or 3 years?

Small sport coupes are a niche as it is, but these numbers concern me. Any thoughts from the experts on here?

I promise future posts will be more optimistic.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Answers

Originally Posted by angelbones
I'm new to the forum, and I'm very interested in the upcoming 2016 TTS. One thing that worries me is the fact that the TT model is selling so poorly. For March 2015, only 11 (literally just eleven) TT were sold in the whole country. For the year, it's a little under 400 total. I can't find a dealer that even carries a new TT, much less a TTS. C&D claims that the anticipation for the new model is what is driving sales to low levels. But 11 sales, really?

I don't need to be sold on the car's virtues (do I?), but it worries me that Audi may pull out of the market. A related worry, is resale value. What are the residuals on these after 2 or 3 years?

Small sport coupes are a niche as it is, but these numbers concern me. Any thoughts from the experts on here?

I promise future posts will be more optimistic.
The 2015 TT in the US was literally the last of the Mk 2 models off of the assembly line in late 2013. See this link:

Fourtitude.com - MK2 TT a5 FAQ

So most of the "2015" models in the USA were sold in CY2014. As you found out, there were virtually none left by the end of CY2014. The Mk 2 assembly line was shut down to change over to Mk 3 production so no more MK 2 could be ordered for the US market. Outside of North America, the rest of the world was selling the 2015 Mk 3 TT starting last summer, Due to the more stringent testing and qualification requirements, sales of a TT model in the US lags the rest of the world by at least a year. Dealers will receive price and configuration data for the Mk 3 US 2016 TTs on May 11. If you want one of the first ordered to your specifications, I recommend you see your dealer ASAP.

That said, the Mk 2 TT was a poor seller in the US. The only Audi model that sold fewer cars in the last 4-5 years was the R8. Only about 2000/year of the various TT models were sold for the last 4-5 model years in the US. The reasons are many. Enthusiasts want a stick shift and a stick was only offered on the TT with the 3.2L engine which was considerable more expensive than the base TT and stopped in the 2010MY. Many did not like the fact that Audi changed the body design dramatically from the iconic Mk 1 design. The base engine in the original 2.0L engine had less HP and torque than the 225HP engine that was the most popular drivetrain in the Mk 1. Therefore there was little to entice existing TT owners to move to the new model. This was corrected with the 2L engine upgrade introduced in the 2011 MY but by then it was too late. Everyone only remembered the original reviews in 2008. Only an Audi TT enthusiast would even be aware of that improvement. Finally, enthusiasts like to have a supply of aftermarket goodies to improve performance. The Mk 2 was sold with 5 different engines split among a few thousand sales a year. Thus it was not worthwhile for most aftermarket companies to develop items for the fractured TT market.

From a power and handling perspective, the TTS, TTRS, and the 2011+ TTs are far superior to the Mk 1 models.

I, and others, have postulated that it would be financially stupid for Audi to invest the $ in testing, parts inventory, etc required to sell the Mk 3 here. Sales of a few thousand cars a year just do not justify the expense. However, the several Audi reps I have talked to say that Audi USA is committed to the TT for the long haul, even if the Mk 3 does not have sales in the tens of thousands like the Mk 1 had.

One big advantage of lower sales numbers is that it is an uncommon car that draws attention everywhere you go. IMO, the resale value of used cars is average and not effected by the low sales figures.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you Vegas-roadster. That was very helpful in understanding and as a noob, that makes a lot more sense. In fact, your description makes the anticipation for the Mk 3 that much more interesting. Also, I agree with you that I like to drive cars that you don't see a lot of. I've had a 2-series BMW for about a year now, and I've only seen two others on the road that whole time.

Anyway, I hope the dealers will have enough 2016s scattered around out there to allow a test drive.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Professional reviews of the Mk 3 have been very positive

Thank you Vegas-roadster. That was very helpful in understanding and as a noob, that makes a lot more sense. In fact, your description makes the anticipation for the Mk 3 that much more interesting. Also, I agree with you that I like to drive cars that you don't see a lot of. I've had a 2-series BMW for about a year now, and I've only seen two others on the road that whole time.

Anyway, I hope the dealers will have enough 2016s scattered around out there to allow a test drive.
The engine in the base Mk 3 is not expected to be dramatically different in performance compared to the upgraded Mk 2. As the link to the FAQ stated, the Mk 2 upgraded engine was grossly underspeced. However, handling has improved dramatically again, as much as the improvement from Mk 1 to Mk 2. Also, the new Mk 3 virtual dash is a state of the art game changer for the industry. However, most professional reviewers rate the BMW 2 series as the best driving car under $50K and the Mk 3 has been compared to the 2 in that regard and consistently comes up a little short.

I expect test drives to be scarce initially. Dealers are rationed in the number of TTs they can order over a given time period and I expect initial sales to be brisk for folks who want the "next big thing".
Old 04-18-2015, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Went to the dealer today, and they had NO information on the Mk III. Expected more since I saw a commercial today. However, they had a 2011 TT. Very unimpressed, but I'm sure it was not as loaded as I would have ordered it. Did the 2011 come with the most recent engine/suspension/drivetrain (pre-2016 models)? I'm excited for the latest model, and I know the new ones will have more, but I hope to be blown away, unlike the 2011 I saw today.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes

Went to the dealer today, and they had NO information on the Mk III. Expected more since I saw a commercial today. However, they had a 2011 TT. Very unimpressed, but I'm sure it was not as loaded as I would have ordered it. Did the 2011 come with the most recent engine/suspension/drivetrain (pre-2016 models)? I'm excited for the latest model, and I know the new ones will have more, but I hope to be blown away, unlike the 2011 I saw today.
Go to the link in the above posts to get detailed info on Mk 2 model years. Regarding the Mk 3, you are not going to be blown away by the engine in the base TT as it is not much different from the 2011+ Mk 2. You will be blown away by the Mk 3 TTS engine. Mk3 will have a much better interior and handling than the Mk 2.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Go to the link in the above posts to get detailed info on Mk 2 model years. Regarding the Mk 3, you are not going to be blown away by the engine in the base TT as it is not much different from the 2011+ Mk 2. You will be blown away by the Mk 3 TTS engine. Mk3 will have a much better interior and handling than the Mk 2.
^^ I went from a '10 TT to a '13 TTS. You Will be impressed by the difference in the two models. The giddiup factor between them is impressive.

I am looking forward to seeing the new MKIII but don't think I will jump right in. My current TT is barely broken in at 28K miles..... But I am interested in seeing one in the flesh just to see that futuristic dash.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RoadTTripper
^^ I went from a '10 TT to a '13 TTS. You Will be impressed by the difference in the two models. The giddiup factor between them is impressive.

I am looking forward to seeing the new MKIII but don't think I will jump right in. My current TT is barely broken in at 28K miles..... But I am interested in seeing one in the flesh just to see that futuristic dash.
I'm also eager to see the new MKIII, for the design and dash. But, having one of the few '08s with a V6 and only 35K miles, my car is pretty quick, sounds great and now that the top is working again :/ not quite ready for a trade. Except for that new Boxster S I saw this weekend. GT silver over red - very nice car.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the information pertaining to the low sales volumn of the TT in recent years. I was going to ask why the 2015 TT had the 211 hp version of the 2.0T and not the 220 hp version like the new 2015 A3. I assume it was because the car was built in early 2014. I saw two 2015 TT at two dealers on the internet for around $36,000 with about 6,000 - 7,000 miles and thought it would be a good car for the wife. She test drove the new A3 and thought it did not look very sporty. Is the reliability of the 2015 TT good? I am still interested in the 2015 TT although it is the discontinued model. Thank you. Jim in Michigan
Old 04-30-2015, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Reliability of all the Mk 2 models has been excelent

Originally Posted by CopperCounTTry
Thank you for the information pertaining to the low sales volumn of the TT in recent years. I was going to ask why the 2015 TT had the 211 hp version of the 2.0T and not the 220 hp version like the new 2015 A3. I assume it was because the car was built in early 2014. I saw two 2015 TT at two dealers on the internet for around $36,000 with about 6,000 - 7,000 miles and thought it would be a good car for the wife. She test drove the new A3 and thought it did not look very sporty. Is the reliability of the 2015 TT good? I am still interested in the 2015 TT although it is the discontinued model. Thank you. Jim in Michigan
If you read the boards you will find no chronic issues like you see in the Mk 1 (like timing belts and clusters).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why such low volume