TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

18" A/S vs 19"

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 18" A/S vs 19"

Wife and I are moving to an area where the streets are less than ideal (New Orleans), and we are going to make an attempt to keep the TT. Basically, reasonable amount of potholes and broken asphalt on some of the daily drives for those of you that have never had the privilege of driving down there.

We never had the chance to drive the 18" with the A/S tires, so wanted to see from those that have driven both (this is the TT not TTS) to see how much of a difference there is in impact harshness and daily comfort. I know that you are always going to improve comfort as your move up in sidewall height all else being equal, so looking more here for real world experience in gaining .5" of sidewall and going to a softer A/S as it relates to this TT.

We have the Hankook OEM tires now, and I did find those to be a bit quieter and softer (barely) than the OEM bridgestones. Another option I was looking at was maybe going with Conti DW on the stock 19" since I know those have a softer sidewall, and at 35 profile tires even with a soft sidewall I still expect to maintain a reasonable level of steering response.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default one thought

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
Wife and I are moving to an area where the streets are less than ideal (New Orleans), and we are going to make an attempt to keep the TT. Basically, reasonable amount of potholes and broken asphalt on some of the daily drives for those of you that have never had the privilege of driving down there.

We never had the chance to drive the 18" with the A/S tires, so wanted to see from those that have driven both (this is the TT not TTS) to see how much of a difference there is in impact harshness and daily comfort. I know that you are always going to improve comfort as your move up in sidewall height all else being equal, so looking more here for real world experience in gaining .5" of sidewall and going to a softer A/S as it relates to this TT.

We have the Hankook OEM tires now, and I did find those to be a bit quieter and softer (barely) than the OEM bridgestones. Another option I was looking at was maybe going with Conti DW on the stock 19" since I know those have a softer sidewall, and at 35 profile tires even with a soft sidewall I still expect to maintain a reasonable level of steering response.

Thanks!
If you go with the Bridgestone, don't you want the A/S DWS instead of the summer DW? I just replaced a rear pair of DWS on my wife's MB E350. They performed better than the OEM Pirelli PZero AS in rain and much better in snow. However, they wore out in 10K miles! Tire rack has several recent reviews by owners reporting premature wear on the DWS.