TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

20' or 19"

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20' or 19"

Hi All

For those who have the 20" rims, how is the ride quality? Would you rather of got the 19's. I'm trying to decide which size to get.

Has anyone bought any after market ones or ones they would recommend.

Thank You
Old 05-02-2016, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default my guess is go with 19s

Originally Posted by Nas Toronto
Hi All

For those who have the 20" rims, how is the ride quality? Would you rather of got the 19's. I'm trying to decide which size to get.

Has anyone bought any after market ones or ones they would recommend.

Thank You
Given the complaints I've seen from professional reviewers and forum posters about the ride quality of 19s, and given that some folks with 19s are looking into 18s, ride on 20s has to be close to riding in a buckboard wagon.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is so subjective, the only way to tell if you are OK with the ride is drive them.
On the UK TT Forum there is a better sampling of owners who have the 20" wheels, but it really does not help.
Those who have them pretty much all say they are fine, and better than a Mk2 on 19s.
Some folks who do not have them say you would end up with the fillings vibrated out of your head if the ride was any rougher.
It's all over the map.

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 05-02-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not in the best position to comment since mine hasn't come in yet but here's how I've rationalized my purchase. I think there's pros and cons. Mine is coming in with 20's and it's not what I would have picked but that's what the dealership has coming in so I went with it rather than ordering from scratch and waiting 3 months. Yes, I am a bit concerned that the ride will be rough but I'm currently on 19" with run flats on a (JCW) sports suspension so....can it get much worse?!?

On the other hand, I've got to figure that the 20's are going to provide extra grip and feel more nimble and sporty - no? As a bonus - they look GREAT! You're sitting pretty low in the TT so whether you have 19's or 20's, I think the ride is going to feel "sporty" (hard) no matter what. I figure I will play with the individual settings others have mentioned to get the feel I want. And I'll likely look for 18" with snows for winter and take a cushy break.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree there's Pro & Cons. Like Fun101, I've yet to take delivery so no subject matter expert. I ordered the 19s - my thinking being to have the best of both worlds. Semi decent ride given Toronto city streets these days and a fairly appealing looking vehicle. Compromises? Yes but as Can_Q said, it's totally subjective and until you've tried both it would be difficult to make an educated determination. Factor in all the other variables and at the end of the day it might just come down to personal preference.

Good luck Nas Toronto.

I'm liking the idea of 18s for those "brisker" months we have
Old 05-03-2016, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with the 19's, worst case scenario I'll use the rims as my winters and buy 20's if I want them in the future.

Thanks again
Old 05-04-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with the 19's, worst case scenario I'll use the rims as my winters and buy 20's if I want them in the future.

Thanks again
That's a wise decision. Did you pick a dealership yet? Keep us posted...Mickster (also from T.O.) wants to do a photo shoot when we get our new cars if you're interested.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks again
Wise decision. After 400 miles on 20's in the past couple days, I can confirm that the ride is harsh and bouncy. The 20's need perfect smooth roads.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by twoesfour
Wise decision. After 400 miles on 20's in the past couple days, I can confirm that the ride is harsh and bouncy. The 20's need perfect smooth roads.
Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts
Old 05-05-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fun101
That's a wise decision. Did you pick a dealership yet? Keep us posted...Mickster (also from T.O.) wants to do a photo shoot when we get our new cars if you're interested.
Definitely, I'll keep you in the loop.

Quick Reply: 20' or 19"