TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

2017 Audi TTS is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats lain, looks great.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Actually DVD/CD. I leave a DVD movie in there just for those rare times I'm bored waiting for someone. And concur, there have been a silly number of music interfaces for quite some time now, to include the "Jukebox" portion of the hard drive that I've never used. I do keep an antiquated iPod in the USB tray, just because. And for some unknown reason my Sirius is still working at 9+ months despite non-renewal by me. Perhaps my salesman did me a favor?

I do like the Google map overlay as part of US Audi Connect SIM. Better than Apple maps for sure.

Originally Posted by lain
... and a CD player... ya that's right I said CD player, no idea why it would have a CD player when there's 2 SD card slots and 2 USB ports when all 4 of those can play music.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ya I read it was a DVD too, which made sense to me if you had a centre screen for other people to watch. But didn't make so much sense when only the driver can watch it
But if you are waiting for someone it might be nice to throw on a movie.

I also don't use the Jukebox, I did try it but found I couldn't view folders like you can on an SD card or USB, you can only view by the normal things like artist and genre, ect.
I usually just use folder though to oraganise either playlists or my songs or my sons kids songs, ect. And it's easy to just pop out a USD or SD and add a few songs rather than downloading to the jukebox every time. And 10GB is enough, but you can get 16GB SD or USB keys for $10. So the Jukebox really isn't necessary.

Personally I would have liked to see them drop things like the Jukebox and CD/DVD player and give us more useful things like heated steering wheel, AC seats, power folding mirrors (USA got these but Canada didn't).

But overall I still think this car is amazing!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I luv those rims.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your reply, Iain. I don't know how complex it is to set up either CarPlay or Android Auto if you have the cables (I assume Audi provided those, or you may have some already), but if you have a friend or SO with a smartphone, you'd be the first kid on the block to run it in a TT/TTS. And probably the first to post photos of how Audi pulled it off with just a Virtual Cockpit available (Audi's other 2017 cars/SUVs use the ugly center screen). I'd like to think that Google and/or Apple worked with Audi to optimize the experience with clever and well-done integration, but who knows? It should be clear soon enough as more 2017 TT-series cars get on the road.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did get an iphone and android cable with the car. I don't know anyone with an Android phone (everyone's on the iPhone bandwagon).
I ran a quick test this morning and you can actually just use a regular iphone cable.

The interface is pretty much like you see on the youtube videos. iPhone icons on your screen.

The phone app is pretty good. Better than the Audi phone interface.

The text message is good because you can dictate messages to siri. However I couldn't see my imessage history (not sure about text messages as I only have imessages in there).

I don't have any music, podcasts or audibooks on my phone so couldn't test that.

Apple maps seems slow, but I was on 3G. I don't leave my phone on LTE because of battery drain. So probably quicker on LTE. But again, I don't really like Apple map anyways compared to in-car NAV systems.

Streaming Spotify it works well.
However, you need to be in the Large View mode for all CarPlay stuff and I typically like to be in the small view mode where I have my big RPM and Speed.
Using a SD or USD card you can be in the small view mode and still see and look through your music.

Also, you have siri which is better voice integration than the Audi voice control.

Another downside to CarPlay is you have to plug it in, so every time you get in and out the car you have to open the compartment, plug in your phone, then unplug you phone and close the compartment. Not as easy as just connecting by bluetooth.
I just read online that iOS9 supports wireless CarPlay but I'm not sure if Audi added that. It wasn't obvious that Audi had it when I was trying it this morning.

So for me the 3 biggest things are the phone setup is better, you can dictate texts to siri and you can use siri to make phone calls.
But plugging in everything and having to stay in large view mode for music/spotify kills it for me.

If I can use wireless CarPlay I'll probably use it for the phone and text app only (they were better than I expected) and you can still us the Audi SD/USB music and NAV.

Last edited by Lain; 09-02-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gbob
I luv those rims.
I really liked these rims also. I like the machine face rims.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Iain, thanks for posting those shots. Looks like Audi has figured out how to support phone integration on their idiosyncratic screen. Very helpful!
Old 09-03-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the CarPlay shots and other info. Really looking forward to my ED in October.

Any rear suspension issues?
Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats! Expecting mine to arrive in late November. Question on the carplay stuff. With the A3, I tend to preprogram a lot of destinations via MMI/Google. Was wondering if with carplay, you can open MMI and just reference the destinations directly to start navigation?

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi TTS is finally here!