TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

A5 >> TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A5 >> TT

Its still a year away, but when the lease is up, I'm seriously considering a TT. I'm about 80% TT, 20% another A5. I initially wanted a TT, but when I went into the dealership in late 2014 there wasn't even a TT to look at and the new one was about a year away from release, so I got the A5. It's a beautiful and capable car. I really like it, except it's Brilliant Black and I spend 8 hours a week keeping it spotless.

No manual on the TT is a bummer, but I can live with it, though my last 4 cars have been VAG 6MT's, and the driving experience in a VAG torque happy turbo is perfection.

My bigger concern is the TFT display instead of analogue gauges. A lot of cars have that "video game" interface, and I'm more of a traditionalist, especially because VAG analogue instrumentation is so precise and classic looking.
How happy are owners with the new cockpit display? Do they fog? How easy to keep clean? Can they replicate a 'traditional' analogue display?

Also what colors do you all recommend? Aside from black, yellow or red, how are white, silver, grey and blue to keep looking clean? My silver GTI always looked clean, even after weeks without washing. I'm actually leaning towards one of the whites, as everything else is black, and this looks really sharp to me. Second choice is scuba blue--I guess.

Sorry for the ramble.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey Tom, I'm in southeastern MA and have had an A5 and now a TT so feel I can be of some help.

The A5 is a truly beautiful Grand Touring car as you well know. I often looked back after parking to admire it. Mine was Ice Silver with a black interior and even with winter salt and June pollen looked quite good. Definitely easier to keep looking good than black. I would choose silver for it again.

In the shade my Sepang Blue looks a lot like Scuba Blue so that would be my choice in a TT.

The virtual cockpit is very well done. Not video game like, as some prior attempts by other manufacturers have been. As nice as traditional Audi analog gauges are I don't think you'll be disappointed. And the display is just so much more versatile it's well worth the transition. Same goes for the DSG transmission.

So I guess it comes down to remaining with a stellar Grand Tourer or going with a high tech sportscar. All the best with your decision. You can't lose either way.

Originally Posted by Tom Kenney
Its still a year away, but when the lease is up, I'm seriously considering a TT. I'm about 80% TT, 20% another A5. I initially wanted a TT, but when I went into the dealership in late 2014 there wasn't even a TT to look at and the new one was about a year away from release, so I got the A5. It's a beautiful and capable car. I really like it, except it's Brilliant Black and I spend 8 hours a week keeping it spotless.

No manual on the TT is a bummer, but I can live with it, though my last 4 cars have been VAG 6MT's, and the driving experience in a VAG torque happy turbo is perfection.

My bigger concern is the TFT display instead of analogue gauges. A lot of cars have that "video game" interface, and I'm more of a traditionalist, especially because VAG analogue instrumentation is so precise and classic looking.
How happy are owners with the new cockpit display? Do they fog? How easy to keep clean? Can they replicate a 'traditional' analogue display?

Also what colors do you all recommend? Aside from black, yellow or red, how are white, silver, grey and blue to keep looking clean? My silver GTI always looked clean, even after weeks without washing. I'm actually leaning towards one of the whites, as everything else is black, and this looks really sharp to me. Second choice is scuba blue--I guess.

Sorry for the ramble.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for the ramble.
Looking at the same move myself. Would be taking delivery of one very soon if the local economy had not gone into the crapper.
Anyway, the new A5 will be shown next month apparently which may complicate decision making.
The new A5 is expected to be very much an evolution in design, not a dramatic change.
I would not say the virtual cockpit concept thrills me, but does not bother me, everybody seems to like it.
Color choices are poor, my biggest pet peeve, that and no seat memory.
One of my criteria is my next car should be lighter than my A5, the new one is supposed to be slightly lighter but not near the TT.
I find my A5 a little heavy, with poor steering feel, so I want something more nimble.
Here is an interesting comparison in case you are interested:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 04-28-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My A5, and moreso allroad, were much heavier in weight and performance dynamics. But then for grand touring and sport wagon types a more planted feel is advantageous imho. I must say there are times I miss their smoother ride. Both much more comfortable than my wife's Caddy ATS.
The steering feel of the TT is definitely better given its more evolved electric power steering and of course lower weight and sportscar design.
Gents - think long and hard on whether you want a GT or a sportscar.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

As you have found out, silver is the easiest color to keep looking good between washes. It is also the best color for making rock chips less noticeable. After owning 2 silver TTs I wanted a change and got the scuba blue. Color is a very personal choice but I have gotten more favorable comments on the scuba color that any car I have owned in a long time. It is not the best color for the desert heat here but slightly better than black, so that is a negative for me. Another major negative is that rock chips are VERY visible. I just had my front end re-sprayed and got a full frontal clearbra. If you do a lot of freeway driving, I strongly recommend a clearbra.

I am always scratching my head about the incredible lack of style Audi USA uses when selecting colors for the US market, 70% of which are monochromatic.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. The GT vs. sport car is something to consider, and since the A5 is a new model next year, that's the wildcard--I'm kind of hoping the engine in the TT gets the same upgrade as the A4/A5- 252hp for next year, though not holding my breath, since it was just upgraded for 2016. The 220hp in the TT, by owner accounts and reviews seems plenty, but we'll see once the A5 comes out. Still 80/20 TT/A5 for now. Just need to narrow down the color. I can't say enough how gorgeous the BB A5 is when freshly detailed, but every speck of dust and water spot shows, and the older I get, the less time I want to spend cleaning it.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. The GT vs. sport car is something to consider, and since the A5 is a new model next year, that's the wildcard--I'm kind of hoping the engine in the TT gets the same upgrade as the A4/A5- 252hp for next year, though not holding my breath, since it was just upgraded for 2016. The 220hp in the TT, by owner accounts and reviews seems plenty, but we'll see once the A5 comes out. Still 80/20 TT/A5 for now. Just need to narrow down the color. I can't say enough how gorgeous the BB A5 is when freshly detailed, but every speck of dust and water spot shows, and the older I get, the less time I want to spend cleaning it.
If you go TT, why not the "S"? Black always looks fantastic in cars but you are right...it takes commitment to clean. However, the TT should be easier. It has a smaller surface area and lower to the ground so easier to clean! (looking on the bright side )
Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Highly unlikely

Thanks guys. The GT vs. sport car is something to consider, and since the A5 is a new model next year, that's the wildcard--I'm kind of hoping the engine in the TT gets the same upgrade as the A4/A5- 252hp for next year, though not holding my breath, since it was just upgraded for 2016. The 220hp in the TT, by owner accounts and reviews seems plenty
As you said, the TT is too new to get an engine upgrade so soon. Look at how late the 3.2 was introduced in the Mk 1 cycle and the Mk 2 engine upgrade in 2011, 4 years into the model cycle. Also, 252 HP in the base would steal some sales from the more profitable TTS.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the A5 too before I choose the TT

I asked myself: why drive around so much space in the back
since in 7 years I never (may be once or twice) had rear seat passengers
in my GTI Fahrenheit.
I'm very happy with my choice, the basic TT is such a perfectly balanced vehicle.
ok, with yellow paint it sticks out a bit in the driveway and on the road. LOL

X.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by x_man
I asked myself: why drive around so much space in the back since in 7 years I never (may be once or twice) had rear seat passengers in my GTI Fahrenheit.

I'm very happy with my choice, the basic TT is such a perfectly balanced vehicle.
ok, with yellow paint it sticks out a bit in the driveway and on the road.
Agree on all counts. The TTS has room to hold four tires or both our bikes (folding trike and a Brompton) plus weekend luggage. (I have ridden in the back while a friend and her husband drove it, but wouldn't want to do it for very long.)

The yellow kind of glows on gloomy days, which is pretty cool. I definitely like how the aluminum trim looks against the body color, and it's certainly easy to find in a parking lot.

- Chuck

Quick Reply: A5 >> TT