TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Air intake ducting

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake ducting

Finally have a day off and have been looking around the web for which air intake I want. For poops and giggles I took the stock box apart to look at the filter as I was considering a simple k&N panel filter. I took apart the air duct too.

Can someone please, for the love of god, tell me why ALL of the air intake is coming from RIGHT next to the engine and not from outside?! Genuinely flabbergasted at what I saw. Not a single hole to allow air from the front of the car into the intake system.

Last edited by OhBoyKittens; 02-10-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The intake air is most certainly from the front of the car and is indeed outside air. You didn't look closely enough. Observe the covered panel above the radiator.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Uhh I did. I took the panel off and theres nothing but a hole from next to the engine. Unless my car happens to be missing a piece of tubing.

Last edited by OhBoyKittens; 02-10-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You're not missing any parts. What I meant is that you may have missed that the air comes from the front directly (see inboard to outboard photo below; right side of duct from this viewpoint) and is not only the engine intake but also a pass thru to the engine bay.

Note there are also a couple radiator airflow relief flappers (the lower I have propped open in second photo).

Originally Posted by OhBoyKittens
Uhh I did. I took the panel off and theres nothing but a hole from next to the engine. Unless my car happens to be missing a piece of tubing.
Attached Thumbnails Air intake ducting-img_1134.jpg   Air intake ducting-img_1133.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The forge motorsport intake uses up the whole slot for cold air, I have seen no increases in oil temps since this conversion. Nice turbo noises too.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
You're not missing any parts. What I meant is that you may have missed that the air comes from the front directly (see inboard to outboard photo below; right side of duct from this viewpoint) and is not only the engine intake but also a pass thru to the engine bay.

Note there are also a couple radiator airflow relief flappers (the lower I have propped open in second photo).
I'm not sure which part I'm looking at on your left photo. Am I overreacting or is it insane that this is like the opposite of a ram air intake?

Moss: I was considering the forge cai like yours or

https://www.getunitronic.com/parts/i...nfiber-airduct
Old 02-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just opened the ducting back up. I see what you were saying about it coming from the front. I didn't see that sliver of an opening before. The radiator flaps confuse me as well. It's like, the car only needs that extra airflow at speed.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good looking intake. I'm just wondering it there was a design reason for the outside air pass thru to the engine bay that is now presumably negated by same.

Originally Posted by mossback
The forge motorsport intake uses up the whole slot for cold air, I have seen no increases in oil temps since this conversion. Nice turbo noises too.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Given the fact that they designed a turbo muffler I have to assume it's BC it's quieter. It's also not like a ton of air is going through so surely it's not for engine cooling purposes

Last edited by OhBoyKittens; 02-12-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would think that there may be an engine cooling component at speed. Remember that air simply flows faster thru a constriction to maintain volume (Venturi effect; the reciprocal of motorists).

And also keep in mind that no matter how "performance" the air filter it's still a natural restriction, so there's more than adequate availability from that relatively small front fascia slot.

But anyway, it's all enthusiast conjecture and I trust in Audi engineering for the most part.

Originally Posted by OhBoyKittens
Given the fact that they designed a turbo muffler I have to assume it's BC it's quieter. It's also not like a ton of air is going through so surely it's not for engine cooling purposes