TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Antenna: malfunction….Please contact Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Antenna: malfunction….Please contact Service

A few weeks ago, SiriusXM stopped working intermittently. FM also, but we didn’t notice it as often. (And we noticed the seat belt warning symbol on the MMI did not always light up with a passenger in the seat before attaching the belt.) The message displayed on the MMI is “Antenna: malfunction. A technical problem occurred. Please contact Service”. I took a photo of the display message and gave it to the dealer when I dropped off the car on Tuesday.

This problem started after the dealer repaired the right rear seatback release latch which I posted about on April 14. Is the antenna problem related the seat release repair? I don’t know. But I know the dealer sub’d out the seat latch repair to an ‘interior restorations’ company which had the car for two days. As mentioned previously they had received the ‘latch' part, but subsequently ordered a second part. It's apparent from the way things inside the boot (trunk) were ‘rearranged’ (my tools, cargo net, first aid kit, storage pouches, etc) that they removed the folding cover and the two-piece hard plastic ‘flooring’. I don’t know what else they removed in the process…..perhaps the front passenger seat.

At this point, the dealer has had our TT for three days and stated they assigned it to their technology tech. I’m not convinced it’s actually a technology issue but possibly an issue with a loose connection, pinched cable or something similar. I pointed out to the Service Advisor about the problem starting after the 'latch' repair but I don't think it was written on the repair order...and I don't think they're interested in knowing the possible connection.

Before I dropped the car off on Tuesday, I took all the flooring pieces out to take a look. I did notice one thick cable bundle crossed over a separate cable bundle on the right side near the rear seat. (I wish I had taken a photo to post in case someone else could compare.)

Has anyone had the “antenna malfunction’ issue and/or does anyone have any insight ?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails -audi-tt-antenna-error.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Robert Stevens (12-08-2021)
Old 06-03-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

As hard as it may be for we enthusiasts not to voice what we believe may be the root cause it's advisable not to do so. This as it may steer them in a particular direction to the exclusion of their own troubleshooting. Some service departments just love to throw on new parts if you tell them what you think it is (been there ...)

So, just do as you did and photo/cite the MMI readout and let them take it from there. I'm sure they'll be able to remedy... eventually.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just fyi, I found out this afternoon that the phone antennas (there are two) are located in the back of the car......I'm getting a new one.....will make another post.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's Fixed !!!

Dealer had it ready after three days and our TT has not had the "antenna malfunction" issue since then.

Service order says: ran GFF and found B10F413 - inspected and found connector for satellite radio at J794 loose - reconnected connector at J794 for satellite radio and had Q&I drive vehicle for 2+ hours and issue did not return.

When I asked the service advisor to describe what they did, he said they removed part of the dash to test for the fault, then removed the trunk compartment cover and flooring, and possibly the right rear seat to get to the connector. He acknowledged that the issue may have been caused when their "interiors restoration" sub-contractor did the rear seatback release latch replacement.

At least the dealer seems to be candid and honest. But I have to wonder if the sub-contractors that dealers use even have access to shop manuals (e.g. online) to see how these things should be properly disassembled and reassembled.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Good to hear it got resolved Bill, even if "self inflicted."
Old 06-21-2016, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, Huey.