TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Anyone tinted their windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tinted their windows

Hi is there anyone here that has tinted their windows? If so what did you choose and can you post a pic?

I'm thinking of PINNACLE SERIES premium ceramic film 30 in the front and 15 at the back on a 2016 Sepang Blue TTS.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We are in Atlanta, GA and I have been seriously considering tinting the windows on our TT primarily for reduction in UV and heat. In that regard, I've found that 3M Crystalline appears to be the most effective.....and has a concurrently higher price than others. It is also more difficult to work with, so there aren't as many installers with expertise to deal with it. I did have it installed on my Abarth 500 and was very satisfied.

Nonetheless, I am a bit hesitant about having it done on the TT. As we know, our cars are loaded with electronics and computers and I'm concerned that the copious amounts of water used during the installation process might 'drown' something. If you're inclined, you might want to google about audi's and window tinting. And there's a website for window tinters where you can find much info about tint materials, results, etc. You might have to wade through some wonky posts in the process but there is good info to be gleaned. URL is: TintDude.com The Window Tinting Resource
Old 06-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

had mine tinted by the dealer's 3rd party vendor. They used 3m. Never had any issues with water or anything else. Had the car for almost a year now (bought the first TT in Colorado). Looks good and is holding up well
Old 06-20-2016, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the replies. I did check out tintdude and I think I'll stick with the Formula One Pinnacle tint. Now I have to make the decision of 30 all around or the 30/15 split.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nas Toronto
Thanks for the replies. I did check out tintdude and I think I'll stick with the Formula One Pinnacle tint. Now I have to make the decision of 30 all around or the 30/15 split.
If you ever move to Nova Scotia you will have to remove any side tint.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Nas,

Not sure if you had your windows tinted yet but I believe Ontario just passed a new law that the front windows have to be 35% and above. Not saying you can't get it 30%, but just letting you know there's a new law.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Lain

Its done, I did 30 all around. They don't look too dark, hopefully I'll be ok.

Originally Posted by lain
Hey Nas,

Not sure if you had your windows tinted yet but I believe Ontario just passed a new law that the front windows have to be 35% and above. Not saying you can't get it 30%, but just letting you know there's a new law.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cool. You'll probably be fine it you aren't speeding around the city
Old 08-16-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have some pictures of your tint?

I'm looking at either Crystalline 40%, because it's the highest IR rejection tint, but they don't go below 40%.

Or Huper Optik Ceramic 30%, because it's the 2nd highest IR rejection tint but their 35% is more reflective/metallic looking than the 30% for some reason and don't want reflective looking tint.

So I'm trying to figure out if 40% is too light or 30% is too dark.

I'm getting a White TTS with black interior, so I know that will make whatever I get look a bit darker.

If you don't have pictures, no worries. Just thought I'd check.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here you go. You can come see it, if you want (PM me if interested).

Originally Posted by lain
Do you have some pictures of your tint?

I'm looking at either Crystalline 40%, because it's the highest IR rejection tint, but they don't go below 40%.

Or Huper Optik Ceramic 30%, because it's the 2nd highest IR rejection tint but their 35% is more reflective/metallic looking than the 30% for some reason and don't want reflective looking tint.

So I'm trying to figure out if 40% is too light or 30% is too dark.

I'm getting a White TTS with black interior, so I know that will make whatever I get look a bit darker.

If you don't have pictures, no worries. Just thought I'd check.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone tinted their windows-20160725_154713.jpg  

Last edited by Nas Toronto; 08-16-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone tinted their windows