TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Ara blue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ara blue

I see the 2017ttsvorder specs indicating that Sepang blue will be discontinued and replaced by Ara blue.

Does anyone have decent pictures of the ara blue vs sepang blue?
Old 07-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

FWIW I just saw a photo of an R8 in Ara Blue. It's NOTHING compared with Sepang.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by topgun77
Does anyone have decent pictures of the ara blue vs sepang blue?
Here's a thread with a few comparison pictures (but none of a TT that I found):
audi ara blue compared to sepang blue | Audi-Sport.net

- Chuck
Old 07-06-2016, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think blue's are tricky. I went with the Sepang Blue without having seen a "real" TTS in person. Seeing the colour in a different model still didn't give you an accurate visual and every picture on the internet looked different. I was a bit worried I wouldn't love the colour but when I took delivery, I was thrilled with the blue in person and get a ton of compliments on the colour. That being said, the Ara might also be quite striking but until you see one "in the wild" it's impossible to know which is nicer. As a foot note...I also went with the 20" rims sight unseen and the colour of the rims matches the aluminum trim on the bumper, mirrors and gas caps beautifully.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Very much my situation and concerns last Summer/Fall and I too was very impressed once in-person. Sepang has been around quite some time now so understandable that Audi is moving on. The Ara appears quite a bit lighter and therefore not my taste (although Audi generally assures good taste) but again having not seen it in person, judgement reserved.

Originally Posted by Fun101
I think blue's are tricky. I went with the Sepang Blue without having seen a "real" TTS in person. Seeing the colour in a different model still didn't give you an accurate visual and every picture on the internet looked different. I was a bit worried I wouldn't love the colour but when I took delivery, I was thrilled with the blue in person and get a ton of compliments on the colour. That being said, the Ara might also be quite striking but until you see one "in the wild" it's impossible to know which is nicer. As a foot note...I also went with the 20" rims sight unseen and the colour of the rims matches the aluminum trim on the bumper, mirrors and gas caps beautifully.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

This was exactly my dilemma. I went with the Sepang, to me the Ara just doesn't look as nice but I'm sure both will still look amazing.

Here's a video of the difference.
View this post on Instagram
Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Based on the video, the Sepang blue has a tint of purple in it and is darker. This is going to be a difficult decision as they look so similar.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by topgun77
Based on the video, the Sepang blue has a tint of purple in it and is darker. This is going to be a difficult decision as they look so similar.
Just remember the video looks to be in the evening and the Sepang shines much different in the sun. Part of the reason I like the Sepang is the variance in colour but that might not appeal to you.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

True.. I may stay with the Sepang blue but I will see it in person this coming weekend.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Do try to see the Sepang in Sun and shade as the perceptual change is dramatic. To me it looks like Scuba Blue in the shade which I appreciate and of course much lighter in the Sun.
I don't perceive the purple tint some have cited, but then I had an RX8 in black cherry mica and that had a serious purple tinge so perhaps jaded.

Quick Reply: Ara blue