TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Audi TTS vs BMW M2

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TTS vs BMW M2

I believe this is a hot topic between the TTS and the M2 and the Bimmerpost forum is stepping on the TTS like there is no tomorrow.

As far as I know, the M2 hits 4.0secs in 0-60 and the TTS hits 4.6secs in 0.60. What about the actual drive, comfort, and practicality?

I know some of you are eagar to share your ideas and experiences. I am looking forward to hear from you.

Topgun77
Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

One word, Quattro. You either appreciate and want it or you don't.

The M2 is a fine machine but I like AWD.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question TopGun!

I seriously considered the M2 when I bought my car. However the M2 is strictly RWD and that was a deal breaker for me. My husband has owned non x-drive BMW's in the past and they were terrible in the snow even with snow tires. If I lived in a snow free climate or had the luxury of keeping the M2 as a fair weather vehicle then it would have been on my short list but now that I own the TTS, I'm extremely happy with my choice.

Pros for M2
- It is available in standard
- Reviewers say the performance is outstanding. It has big horsepower, lots of torque and is getting rave reviews on the "spirited driving front". BUT the TTS is lighter and the 0-60 on the M2 is only a tad faster.
- Great exhaust sound...it's a low growl. I like the sound of the TTS as well when it's shifting or when the turbo kicks in but sometimes the pitch sounds a bit high and some reviewers have called out the pops as sounding like a fart. (face palm)
- I like the new body style on the M2; the big vents, the flared hips, the M2 badging, etc. (Although some might say it's overdone)
- The Long Beach Blue is a spectacular colour (imho) but I still love the Sepang too.
- The price includes a long list of standard options so it comes in well equipped for less than a TTS. (example: includes driver seat memory, heated steering wheel, etc)
- Potential resale value. It's getting reviews that are touting it as the next great M car like the M1 (aka the unicorn)

Cons
- Only available in RWD - not ideal for snow drivers.
- Interior surfaces and finishes seem cheap and plastic-y. TTS is way more refined and bespoke.
- Leather seating is sub quality to the TTS. The leather in the TTS is supple and the sports seats are top notch in the TTS.
- Interior is nothing special...with the exception of the blue stitching, it almost seems cheap and like just another 2 series. The TT's clean dash with the integrated vents beats out the M2 in my books.
- The virtual cockpit on the TT is beyond compare. The M2 has that big screen in the middle which I think is getting dated.
- Hard to explain but I feel the M2 seems more like an "entry level" M car whereas the TTS is a more upscale and refined sports-car.
- I think the TTS wins for unique styling and overall luxury in general. Especially the new body style and interior changes in the TT Mk3 release.

My young (car buff) son was really pushing me to get the M2 and disappointed when I bought the TTS. But he came with me for delivery and after picking it up and owning it, he's completely changed his tune and absolutely loves the car and now respects the choice. TTS for the win!
Old 07-08-2016, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another advantage for the TTS: our bikes fit inside, and there's zero chance of that with the M2.

- Chuck
Old 07-08-2016, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great discussions! I totally agree with Fun101 as the AWD is quite attractive to me and so as the TTS style.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is great to hear that bikes fit inside!
Old 07-08-2016, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The cars have different purposes...

Both are great in their own envelope. I really pay no attention to 0-60 times as long as they are not slugs. If you wanted a stoplight weapon, there is faster iron at a fraction of the cost. Roads to me are only interesting when there are lots of corners. I have always been a fan of quattro and put up with the inherent understeer to have it. (My German car score so far: Audi = 9, BMW=1). That being said, if I could afford a third car for the canyons, the M2 would be hands-down choice (or a well tended E36 M3). However, the TTS is so practical. I was always amazed at how much stuff I could get into my TT. My wife and I have considered that drivetrain in different guises - and driven them all; TTS, S3 and Golf R. Great fun in any form. Right now, the M2 is selling at above list, so it really makes no sense to acquire one until the market saturates and the prices fall. That is happening now with current gen Golf R.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 07-08-2016, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by topgun77
It is great to hear that bikes fit inside!
Ours are not typical bikes. My wife's is a Brompton, which I think probably would fit in the M2. Mine is a folding trike (HP Velotechnik Gekko), which can't fit through the M2 trunk lid, but there's no problem with TTS.

I haven't tried standard bikes in the TTS, but I suspect they'd fit with the front wheels removed.

- Chuck
Old 07-13-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love this discussion, and agree with the practicality of the hatch and AWD. Besides, I think the TTS looks better too
Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Road and Track recently did a comparo on the M2, M235, and 228

There was not a lot of love for the M2. If you track your car, the M2 is the car of choice although there is a significant increase in cost compared to the M235 for a relatively small amount performance increase. There will be no discounts offered on the M2 while the discounts on the M235 are substantial. The M235 was a far better daily driver due to ride comfort. Surprisingly, they liked the 228 the best. With less weight on the nose, they thought it handled far better than the M2 and M235.

For me, the M235 and 228 are going to get a serious look on my next buy because the picture is totally different for those of us who love convertibles. First let me say that if AoA offered a TTS roadster, I'd own one by now. However, my choice is between a TT roadster and a M235 or 228 convertible. Every professional reviewer that I have read would chose the M235 over the TTS from an overall performance evaluation, much less a comparison to the base TT. Second, an M235 convertible equipped the way I want is about $5K less than the TT roadster. (I really think AoA has screwed the pooch raising the price of the TT by about 20% over the past few years and the $800 price increase for 2017 doesn't help.) The M235 convertible has a lower MSRP than a TT roadster and half-decent negotiation can get nearly 10% off of MSRP at a BMW dealer as compared to the, at best, 6% at Audi. Third, included in that BMW price is 4 years of free maintenance. Finally, the BMW is offered with a manual tranny. Not living in a snow area, Quattro for snow has no value to me, however, I do appreciate its contribution to non-snow handling but the RWD 228 and M235 are better (again according to pro reviewers). Also, the BMW has historically had better resale value.

The advantages of the TT roadster are the state of the art dash display and a superior interior. When considering convertibles, the TT and the BMW are similar for hauling stuff. Another huge plus for me is the TT spare tire which was my biggest bitch about the Mk 2. From a cost perspective, the only thing likely to keep me in a TT roadster will be its continued significant depreciation which will allow me to pick up a lightly used (under 10K miles) roadster that is about 2 years old for 25% or more off of the original MSRP which is how I've bought my last two.

Quick Reply: Audi TTS vs BMW M2