TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Auto high beams on 2017 TT (how?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto high beams on 2017 TT (how?)

I have a new 2017 US Audi TT w/ tech packaged, LED lights, etc. The manual for the car indicates all LED headlight TT's have an auto high beam feature. The MMI has setting for it (under external lights) for early, mid and late setting (presumably for when they dim). However, on the darkest roads (or any, for that matter!), I cannot get this feature to work. Advice?
thanks
Old 11-23-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Auto high beams are not available on US TTs.. the setting you're seeing is for automatic headlights. Either the manual is wrong or you misread it.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just to amplify this, the setting is about the level of ambient sensitivity for the point at which the headlights automatically turn on. The bigger disappointment was learning that the matrix headlights aren't on NA cars. Maybe someday, but not as yet at those are not DOT approved.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

At least in NA we have cornering lights which are quite helpful (albeit fixed angle offset and therefore not the European steered-dynamic type).
Old 11-23-2016, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
At least in NA we have cornering lights which are quite helpful (albeit fixed angle offset and therefore not the European steered-dynamic type).
Amen. I tried them out this morning and unlike most aux lights they really made a noticeable difference. Personally I'm glad they're fixed. I find the swiveling lights a little distracting and of course, its just one more expensive thing to go wrong somewhere down the line.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the responses. However, I'm still a bit confused. The MMI has a setting under External Lighting, called "Auto-dim. high beams" with an activation setting of early, mid or late as shown in the picture. It seems this would indicate that it relates specifically to the high beams given the title. Has anybody seen this and seen what affect it has on the lighting. The US manual also makes reference to these settings and described them as high beam adjustments for cars with LED lights. Therefore, both the manual and MMI are consistent in describing this feature as an auto dimming high beam function... but I still can't figure out how it's really supposed to work and the comments above suggest it's not in US cars... but why would both the US manual, and MMI have the setting? Further thoughts!? Thanks

Old 11-23-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I find swiveling lights, and tinsel, distracting. Festivus for the rest of us.

Seriously, I too prefer the fixed cornering lights.

Originally Posted by Tailwagger
Amen. I tried them out this morning and unlike most aux lights they really made a noticeable difference. Personally I'm glad they're fixed. I find the swiveling lights a little distracting and of course, its just one more expensive thing to go wrong somewhere down the line.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

But you'll note theres no configuration for turning the auto dimming system on and off. If you look in the manual on page 37, if we had this function there would be an 'Audi Adaptive Light' on or off checkbox. Of course, I'd be happy to be wrong.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ryseattle
Thanks for the responses. However, I'm still a bit confused. The MMI has a setting under External Lighting, called "Auto-dim. high beams" with an activation setting of early, mid or late as shown in the picture. It seems this would indicate that it relates specifically to the high beams given the title. Has anybody seen this and seen what affect it has on the lighting. The US manual also makes reference to these settings and described them as high beam adjustments for cars with LED lights. Therefore, both the manual and MMI are consistent in describing this feature as an auto dimming high beam function... but I still can't figure out how it's really supposed to work and the comments above suggest it's not in US cars... but why would both the US manual, and MMI have the setting? Further thoughts!? Thanks

This is for auto headlight activation time, not auto high beams, even though that it what it says. A 2016 TT has it written differently (correctly). This will adjust how sensitive the light sensor is for when to turn on the headlights.

There are no auto high beams in the US.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2013 Toyota has auto dimming high beams and it is a very convenient option. If Toyota can do it I don't know why Audi won't enable it for US cars.

Quick Reply: Auto high beams on 2017 TT (how?)