TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Automobile magazine compares the TTRS and Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Automobile magazine compares the TTRS and Cayman S

The review is unique because it is composed of two independent comparisons, one by a magazine writer and a "pro" review by Andy Pilgrim. In the end, both give the Cayman a slight edge based primarily on its rear engine being a more engaging ride. I find this comment curious because I have seen similar comments in reviews of all Mk 3 models. They go something like "The car is firmly planted in curves while xxx is more engaging" which sounds to me that pro reviewers prefer a car that needs to be manhandled to one that does well on its own.

The TTRS gets the nod on a better and easier to understand dash, is much faster from 0-60 thanks to more HP and Quattro, and has much better brakes (unless you get the Cayman's super-expensive brake upgrade option). As I've seen elsewhere, they pan the TTRS sport package option as too jarring.

Because of the TTRS folding rear seats and hatch, it gets the nod as the more practical daily driver. Not mentioned is the TTRS compact spare which adds to its DD usefulness.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 12-25-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
They go something like "The car is firmly planted in curves while xxx is more engaging" which sounds to me that pro reviewers prefer a car that needs to be manhandled to one that does well on its own.
I haven yet read the review, but from my personal experience, I wouldn't necessarily interpret it that way. First, a Cayman requires no manhandling whatsoever. Quite the opposite. It's a car that suffers fools well. I'd wager the comments are more about feel, connection and predicability.

As we all know, the TT platform generates an intoxicatingly high level of stick. But, there isnt a lot of feel in the steering. It is a car that elicits the classic, 'corners on rails' sort of comments. And as it behaves that way, its somewhat of a point and shoot. Engaging, in this context, I take to mean more communicative and capable of more deftly performing slight mid corner corrections at, or close to the the limit. Something the TT is certainly challenged by given a dearth of feedback from its electric rack. Besides, realistically and despite a lot of progress, our cars still sport a lot of weight in the nose. Given the physics involved, when pushed, it will, well, push... whereas with a mid-engined car, more or less rotation is pretty much as easy thinking about it. The basic layout strongly favors the Cayman when we're talking abut handling.

The TT is great platform with well above average performance, more than enough for daily duties and far more practical than a Cayman. But that latter is certainly a more focused, sports car. The RS doesn't change anything major in the TT equation other than stuffing an admittedly awesome motor in, so it's not surprising to read the same sort of comments made last year when comparing the handling of the TT or S to a base Boxster or Cayman. Despite the comparisons the cars truly serve different purposes and really appeal (or at least should) to folks with very different sets of requirements.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish they would have put in each "as tested" price and not just the base price. I realize there is no price yet for the U.S. Model Audi but the Porsche can get out of hand quickly with options.
I'll be looking for a fun, comfortable daily that won't see track duty and I'm thinking the TT RS will fit that need better for me.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The article goves the impression that the TTRS is significantly cheaper

Originally Posted by Rapture
I wish they would have put in each "as tested" price and not just the base price. I realize there is no price yet for the U.S. Model Audi but the Porsche can get out of hand quickly with options.
I'll be looking for a fun, comfortable daily that won't see track duty and I'm thinking the TT RS will fit that need better for me.
The TTRS base price is already fully loaded with relatively few options available to add (and even fewer if you don't consider the sport suspension). The magazine lists the Cayman S price starts a few $k more than the expected price of the TTRS and quickly goes up from there with Porsche's usual long menu of "options", many of which are "must haves" that are standard on the TTRS.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Because of the TTRS folding rear seats and hatch, it gets the nod as the more practical daily driver. Not mentioned is the TTRS compact spare which adds to its DD usefulness.
That's because there isn't a spare in the TT RS.

RS models come with a tire repair kit.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Was not aware of that

Originally Posted by adg44
That's because there isn't a spare in the TT RS.

RS models come with a tire repair kit.
Since the Mk 3 was designed for a compact spare and is present in the base and TTS models, what caused them to delete it from the TTRS trunk? Is it just weight saving so you could buy a spare and install it or is the space used for something else?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Since the Mk 3 was designed for a compact spare and is present in the base and TTS models, what caused them to delete it from the TTRS trunk? Is it just weight saving so you could buy a spare and install it or is the space used for something else?
The battery is in the spare tire well in the RS 3 and TT RS.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had both a 2014 Cayman base and recently a 2015 Cayman S and really prefer my 2017 TT over both of them. I can't articulate all of the reasons, but as a daily driver the TT is fast-enough and feels a bit more luxurious to me. No one beats the virtual cockpit and I think the TT sounds better in dynamic mode than the Cayman ever sounded to me.

Just my humble opinion. We are all quite blessed to have such grand experiences with these beautiful machines.