TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Best wax, micro fiber rags and paint swirl removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best wax, micro fiber rags and paint swirl removal

Hello again, I guess this is really a general question not just for us new TT owners but I have been postings everything in this section so I figure I would stay here. So when I purchased my new Brilliat Black TT this past Tuesday evening the sales guy was using a rag to wipe off finger prints and clean the car down. I asked him what's the best type of rag to use and he said micro fiber. I asked what brand and he said really any brand but only use micro fiber so it will not leave swirl marks. So rather then just go to Walmart and purchase cheap rags, yesterday I went to an auto parts store and bought some micro fiber clothes and drying towel. I figure they would have nice stuff there. So today was really the first time I had time to really look over the car during day light. I noticed some finger prints and marks on the car and used one of my brand new micro fiber rags which left swirl marks and lite scratches. After yelling at myself. I had some soft rags that I use for polishing my cars and it did not take out the marks. I did not want to start polishing brand new paint even thought I know the dealer polished the car due to I see some polish in the corners that actually will not come off. So I love the classy black paint on my car but it is not loving me back right now. Any thoughts? I know the dealer uses a 3rd party company to clean and polish all the new cars so I am going to reach out to them and see if they can help or even try and take the car to them. This car is like having a brand new first baby and worrying about dropping it the first time you hold it.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice choice on the TT!

Owner of a '15 Brilliant Black A5 here, and all I can say is invest in a high quality waterless wash- I like Chemical Guys EcoSmart--and a supply of plush microfiber towels for in between real washes/waxes Love my car, but it's a beast to keep clean.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

As you may know, most swirls are actually induced by well-intentioned drying and detailing cloths. Use the highest quality microfiber cloths and always a lubricating fluid such as Griot's Speed Shine, Zaino gloss enhancer, etc. Go easy with the rubbing pressure and try to maintain straight lines rather than circular motions where possible.
When polishing start with the least abrasive compound and only move to a more abrasive when absolutely necessary.
There are many excellent in-depth tips and video's out there by Mother's, Griot's, et al, so these are just my high level comments.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you go to the detailing forums, you will get a dozen different answers. Don't be afraid to polish a new car. In fact, with black you should invest in a light polishing machine like the Porter Cable XP. For me, the best protection has been with "coatings" rather than wax. For a beginner, the coatings offered at Auto Geek work great. DP coating is one PPC is more expensive, but even easier to apply. The Rag Company has great MF towels.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jermarTT

Don't be afraid to polish a new car. In fact, with black you should invest in a light polishing machine like the Porter Cable XP.

For me, the best protection has been with "coatings" rather than wax.

For a beginner, the coatings offered at Auto Geek work great.

DP coating is one PPC is more expensive, but even easier to apply.

The Rag Company has great MF towels.

^^ This is a great summary!

And, the best wax is a coating!!
Old 11-02-2015, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

^ Indeed with Zaino's polish/sealant product line being my go-to (to include their "border free" towels).

Zaino Store: Protect & Shine

Mine will get my usual Porter Cable random-orbital polishing as soon as I get it home from delivery.

Last edited by Huey52; 11-02-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I just ordered some polish and towels from Zaino. Only going to install by hand, don't want to chance using a power polishing machine at this time. Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Although a random-orbital is very user friendly I understand the trepidation on a band new car.

Zaino really is an excellent product line. Just remember that less is more as far as product amount applied.

Originally Posted by flmtrain
Thanks for the info. I just ordered some polish and towels from Zaino. Only going to install by hand, don't want to chance using a power polishing machine at this time. Thanks again.

Last edited by Huey52; 11-03-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I use products from chemicalguys.com (also sold on Amazon). There are many grades of microfiber, ranging from high pile for drying the car to no pile for polishing glass. Look for ones that have silk banding, and remove the label before using. For dirty work like wheels, I bought a monster package of MF towels from Costco. You will also need a proper MF detergent to clean your towels and wash mitt in a washing machine.

But it might not be the towel that is your issue. If you have smudges and fingerprints, I would not use a dry towel, but would ensure that I lubricated the area to be wiped or the towel itself with instant detailer.

I am on my second black TT, the first was Brilliant Black and my new one is Mythos Black. I must be crazy.

Last edited by cr8nA4; 11-05-2015 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

For black, the Turtle Wax 3-step black kit is really good. Called Black Magic or Back to Black or something like that. Waxed a friend's Volvo for her, 4 years old and had never been waxed. The tinted waxes really do a nice job.