TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Buyer remorse from buying off the lot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer remorse from buying off the lot?

I picked up my TTS 2016 Vegas Yellow off the lot last week. This is my very first 'brand new' car. The specs are pretty much what I wanted; 20" wheels, Napa leather seats, MMI tech, etc. That's why I decided not to place a factory order because I didn't want to wait for 4 months. I wanted to drive a car before Summer ends. Dealership offered me about $4,200 discount off sticker price. When I picked up the car, it had 180 miles on it because it was transported from Audi in Jersey to Greenwich, CT. I was a little bum knowing that someone drove my car from Jersey to CT. Needless to say, the paint was in excellent condition (very very minor swirls). My mind was set on driving home with a TTS that day so I ignored those issues.

After a week of driving around, I'm starting to have a buyer remorse and feeling like I should've gone with a factory order. Now in the back of my mind, I wonder if this car had been used for test driving (since Jersey is only 84 miles from Greenwich, where did the extra 96 miles come from?). While washing my car yesterday, I also noticed a small spot of bad swirls on the roof that def needs a new wax job. You could only see it on a bright sunny day.

Other than that, I LOVE the car. Did anyone buy their TTS off the lot? Did you feel that you should've gone with a factory order? The car has specs that I want, it's just small little things that I'm trying to look over (miles on it and minor swirls). ... Friends said I'm crazy for feeling paranoid I don't know for sure if the car had been test driven by other people. I'm not looking to get rid of it or anything .. just want everyone else to share their experience buying off the lot.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also bought TT off the lot and noticed slight abrasion marks in paint caused from straps holding car to carrier after 5 days ownership. Dealer fixed and I moved on.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw your car at the NJ dealer parked in the showroom when I was having my TT serviced. It is a great car and don't worry about the miles and the swirls can be buffed out. I had to wait 3 months for my special order and that was painful. Enjoy the car and maybe I will see you around as I live close to CT
Old 08-22-2016, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

There isn't a single dealership I know of that employs real car detailers. Most every dealership uses some outside contract for this service, although they work within the dealership. I would never let them clean the inside or the outside of my car. ever. In fact I made a bright laminated sign that I put on the dash when the car goes in for service. It says simple" Do not clean interior or exterior of this car. No Wash is in bright red above that.
I would take the car to a real pro...or do it yourself if you have the time and knowledge.

I have a Misano Red 2011 A3. I'm the only one to detail that car. It looks like wet liquid gloss and no issues. I use a Griot's Garage orbital buffer, and high quality foam pads for it's twice a year detail.

To be honest though that has nothing to do with your car. I wouldn't sweat the miles or swirl marks as a result. If you got a good deal and you like the make and model, then just know that every car isn't 100% perfect, and even if you did special order one...they might have detailed it for you anyway...and you would still have those swirl marks. MAybe you could negotiate a couple free oil changes to help you pay someone else to detail the car professionally.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I purchased my car from a broker. So essentially it came off the lot of a local dealer. It had 12miles on it. I am so happy with this car I can hardly stand it.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't sweat it, you have it now and can enjoy it.

Mine was on the dealer floor with 80 miles, I drove it home and have never looked back !!

Ed
Old 08-24-2016, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The car is wonderful...

I have purchased or leased 31 cars, always off the lot. I have no patience for ordering. I have a few non-negotiable options, but most everything else is just fine tuning. Your TTS is just beautiful. Find some sinuous roads and make a regular loop - learn the car and its behavior - it will take at least a year. That's the great fun...

I think the remorse is normal as you get such a buildup and then, boom, the car is in your driveway. Life goes on with all of the challenges - just in a nicer car. Buying/leasing cars is always a delightful distraction from my professional crush (which is relentless). Once the new car is acquired, I am back to the tasks.

…Except when I am in the canyons :-)
Old 09-04-2016, 11:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think we all get "buyers remorse" to some degree, whether it's minor or major, 1 minute or 1 month, it just happens to us when we buy a new car. I have owned 50+ cars in the last 25 years. 15 brand new Audi's since 2009. And all sorts of others in between. New or used they all have their issues. Even the new ones are never 100.0% perfect.

Your TTS is beautiful! Enjoy!