TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Cross shopping the new TTS.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default I would not say the TTS and S3 are essentially the same

Originally Posted by eric strauss
… but don't forget that the TTS, S3 and VW-R ride on the same chassis and have essentially identical performance specifications. The new R is a hoot, and I have included a shot of my old beloved R32 from a bygone era. All are a great choice.

Happy Motoring

Eric
I know nothing about the VW-R. True the two Audi models have the same engine and tranny (although there may be differences in the Quattro control). Audi officially quotes the TTS as only 0.1 seconds faster in a straight line 0-60 as compared to the S3. However, the TTS is about 300 pounds lighter, a lower cg, and better handling, so I'm certain the TTS would leave the S3 in the dust on a track.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you taken an S5 for a drive? My wife and I looked at Boxster and Cayman but they are another step up from the S5. In fact, it was the Porsche saleman that asked, 'have you look at an S5?' Dial in dynamic mode and the S5 is hard to beat in the fun department, I'm constantly amazed at what it can do. We went S5 because we felt it had the most bang for the buck across many factors. But having said all that, we're looking at the new TT so we both can have a 'fun' car!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mjm3457
The local dealer just told me that he doesn't expect to see a new 2016 TT model in Denver before mid Sepetmber. I was disappointed. I have been seriously considering this car, but looks like I have to wait until then for a test drive and couldn't get the car I plan order until mid-December at the earliest. I have been cross shopping for something else. Being an older guy I'd prefer real analog instruments to the virtual display, no matter how sexy that may be to some. I also prefer a center dash mounted MMI screen because my wife and I tour together, and when I'm driving she uses the MMI a lot. Also she does not use it at all when she is driving because it is a distraction to her. Even though the TT has lots of positives, these are serious considerations for us. So I'm looking at Porsche Cayman and Jaguar F-Type as possibilities, although they are a step up in price. Recent year used models are also under consideration.
I have many of the same concerns as you. Since I want a cab, I am seriously looking at a Porsche Boxster S or F-type Jaguar. Both have the option of manuals which is important to me. I had a '65 e-type fixed head coupe that won several awards - unfortunately, it was a trailer queen, and there's no question it was one of the most beautiful sports cars ever made.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I have many of the same concerns as you. Since I want a cab, I am seriously looking at a Porsche Boxster S or F-type Jaguar. Both have the option of manuals which is important to me. I had a '65 e-type fixed head coupe that won several awards - unfortunately, it was a trailer queen, and there's no question it was one of the most beautiful sports cars ever made.
I took a 2014 used Cayman S Coupe with 6-speed manual for test drive recently. Spent 2 hours driving the car in the city and on the highway. There's a lot to like about it, but I found the transmission a little notchy, and the clutch pedal stiff; but I did get more comfortable with it as the time went on. I'm a pretty short guy and the seating position is a little low for me, but visibility was OK. Handling is superb, but steering is quite heavy at low speeds. I could get used to it, but.... Next I took a test drive in a new F-Type Coupe V6 with the 8-speed auto with shift paddles. The car was comfortable in every way from the beginning and just about perfect in meeting what I am looking for. The engine is incredible and the tranny has at least 6 different modes to drive in when switching between Auto, Sport, and Dynamic modes with stick shifting or paddle shifting. Steering is positive, direct, and delightful at all speeds; what fun on curvy roads and it's gentle in the city, too. In addition, what a gorgeous machine. I was smitten, and can't believe that the TTS will beat it in any category. This is the car for me.

So I factory ordered a custom F-Type past week, and I'm expecting a 3 to 4 month delivery. A 6-speed manual is available for 2016, but there are none in the US now, and no estimate when one might be available to test. You can also order certain models with AWD, but not on the Base model. Some have ordered the car months ago, but none has been delieved in the US to date. I didn't want to order a car I hadn't test driven first, and the 8-speed was so slick with the paddles, oh my! There's no TT in my near future, but I'm not deserting the Audi fold; I've got a 2012 A7 which I love and is our long distance touring car, and a 2013 Q5 for when conditions get nasty here in CO.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mjm3457
I took a 2014 used Cayman S Coupe with 6-speed manual for test drive recently. Spent 2 hours driving the car in the city and on the highway. There's a lot to like about it, but I found the transmission a little notchy, and the clutch pedal stiff; but I did get more comfortable with it as the time went on. I'm a pretty short guy and the seating position is a little low for me, but visibility was OK. Handling is superb, but steering is quite heavy at low speeds. I could get used to it, but.... Next I took a test drive in a new F-Type Coupe V6 with the 8-speed auto with shift paddles. The car was comfortable in every way from the beginning and just about perfect in meeting what I am looking for. The engine is incredible and the tranny has at least 6 different modes to drive in when switching between Auto, Sport, and Dynamic modes with stick shifting or paddle shifting. Steering is positive, direct, and delightful at all speeds; what fun on curvy roads and it's gentle in the city, too. In addition, what a gorgeous machine. I was smitten, and can't believe that the TTS will beat it in any category. This is the car for me.

So I factory ordered a custom F-Type past week, and I'm expecting a 3 to 4 month delivery. A 6-speed manual is available for 2016, but there are none in the US now, and no estimate when one might be available to test. You can also order certain models with AWD, but not on the Base model. Some have ordered the car months ago, but none has been delieved in the US to date. I didn't want to order a car I hadn't test driven first, and the 8-speed was so slick with the paddles, oh my! There's no TT in my near future, but I'm not deserting the Audi fold; I've got a 2012 A7 which I love and is our long distance touring car, and a 2013 Q5 for when conditions get nasty here in CO.

Good luck in your decision.
Thanks for your very helpful post. The more I see the F-type, the more I like it. It's gotten great reviews, and yours fits with what I've been reading. As for AWD in a car like this - I was thinking why would I order that since I wouldn't be using the car in winter (or rain for that matter). I did have a Porsche C4S that was AWD - essentially a 911 for "dummies" that forgives any mistake a driver (like me) could make. But it was a hell of a car. If I were to order the F-type, it would likely be the V6 with manual and rear drive. The V8s are gorgeous, and the exhaust note is to die for, but not sure they're worth the extra $$ for what I'd be using the car for. You're choice of a Q5 for Colorado weather is smart!

Phil
Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I cross shopped the new Cayman S and a used 997 C4S. I live in Colorado at a mile high, where altitude really kills the performance of naturally aspirated engines. The Cayman S was just terribly slow unless you were near redline. In a straight line the Cayman would get its doors blown off by diesel pickups, and that just won't work for me. Plus the Cayman was EXTREMELY LOUD. Near redline, yes it has some power, but you would attract WAY too much attention. If it was purely a track car I am sure it would be great, but around town it either had too little power or attracted too much attention.

The 997 C4S was much faster in low end torque and drove very nicely. I would have considered this car except in the $55k price range I would have been looking at a higher mileage car that had been beat up. The interior was nothing compared to the TTS (obviously). I did like the way the 911 accelerated and handled, but having someones sloppy seconds didnt appeal to me and repairs are expensive. The 911's I saw had all been rode hard and put away wet.

I ordered the TTS : )
Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So tell us the details, colors and options.
I am looking at a TTS as well, but a bit disappointed in the color restrictions in North America.
I want the Express Red Leather, so that limits the paint options even further.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 05-29-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
So tell us the details, colors and options.
I am looking at a TTS as well, but a bit disappointed in the color restrictions in North America.
I want the Express Red Leather, so that limits the paint options even further.
It looks like the only colors it is not available with are red, blue, and yellow. You want a red interior with one of those exterior colors??
Old 05-30-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
It looks like the only colors it is not available with are red, blue, and yellow. You want a red interior with one of those exterior colors??
Firstly, I guess I could have been more clear. Audi Canada appears to have dropped Monsoon Grey, Daytona Grey and Panther Black from the available colours which always bugs me a bit.

Secondly, the red seats look excellent with Sepang, and very good with the Tango Red, and Vegas yellow (even if everybody does not agree). You are free to choose these combinations in other markets, but not in North America.

Lastly, you are driving a yellow car, you should be a little more open minded, don't you think?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
Firstly, I guess I could have been more clear. Audi Canada appears to have dropped Monsoon Grey, Daytona Grey and Panther Black from the available colours which always bugs me a bit.

Secondly, the red seats look excellent with Sepang, and very good with the Tango Red, and Vegas yellow (even if everybody does not agree). You are free to choose these combinations in other markets, but not in North America.

Lastly, you are driving a yellow car, you should be a little more open minded, don't you think?
Don't get me wrong, I love yellow cars. But I don't want my car to look like McDonald's. I assume that the colors are restricted because they don't want the dealers to end up with aged inventory. Yellow over red isn't for most people.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross shopping the new TTS.