TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Cross shopping the new TTS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default I've never understod color restrictions by any manufacturer at all

Originally Posted by adg44
Don't get me wrong, I love yellow cars. But I don't want my car to look like McDonald's. I assume that the colors are restricted because they don't want the dealers to end up with aged inventory. Yellow over red isn't for most people.
I agree that yellow/red isn't for most folks and believe no dealer would order that combo unless it was a pre-sold car with a big deposit. Dealers know what sells in their market and order cars accordingly. Unfortunately for folks like me who like to take advantage of prices on low mileage used TTs, that means a lot of monochromatic cars with black/gray paint and black seats. (Eliminate black/gray paint and/or black seats and you eliminate about 80% of TTs, and most other cars, in the US).

So i agree with Can that a pre-sold customer should be able to buy any color paint or interior offered by the manufacturer in the world market without having to pay the extra $ for a special order. It does not effect dealer inventory except when the car gets to the used car lot and then the owner can expect a low trade-in for unusual color combinations because it will be harder to re-sell without a price incentive.

I can understand that Audi wants to reserve some colors for certain models, like Sepang being available only for the TTS, as an incentive for getting the more expensive car. As I've posted before, the standard paint options for the Mk 3 in the US are pretty boring, with Sepang, Scuba, and Vegas being the few exceptions. Part of the problem is dealers themselves because they are too scared to order cars that are not monochromatic. Case in point was the Volcano Red for the Mk 2 which I thought was a fabulous color on the TT but was almost never ordered for dealer inventory nor as a pre-sold car. Scuba was almost as scarce. I think one of the main reasons i got such a good deal on my Scuba was the color because it sat on the dealer's used car lot for about 6 months. So maybe folks like Can and I are just non-mainstream buyers who dare to be different.