TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Dash rattling sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dash rattling sound

I have a 2016 TT coupe with 13000 miles. Has anyone experienced a rattling sound from the dash happens only when I have the transmission set to Dynamic and Sport, also only happens during acceleration and between 3000-4000 rpms. Note the sound does not happen in just dynamic, must be also in sport, leads me to believe it has to do with the fake engine sound causing a vibration. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-01-2016, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogthelog
I have a 2016 TT coupe with 13000 miles. Has anyone experienced a rattling sound from the dash happens only when I have the transmission set to Dynamic and Sport, also only happens during acceleration and between 3000-4000 rpms. Note the sound does not happen in just dynamic, must be also in sport, leads me to believe it has to do with the fake engine sound causing a vibration. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
What I'd try is programming individual mode by setting everything on dynamic except set the sound option to comfort and see if it makes any difference.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

About a month ago on my 2016 TT, there was a rattle in the front drivers side dash that was not related to the soundkator noise. It took the technician nearly 4 hours to dismantle the dash, add felt in places, and retighten everything.

That fixed the problem, but it created a new problem: I now heard a sizzle-buzz in the front speaker when in sport mode at low-medium revs. It took me three weeks to get another appointment at the dealer for it and my 5000 mi service. During that time, the buzz went away. At the dealer, the technician figured that it was something that might be heat/cold related or a piece that found its way to the right spot.

If your buzz doesn't fix itself, hopefully your dealer will do a good job at finding the cause in engine bay. The buzz sounds drive me craaaazzzyyy !

Like the previous poster said, it's good idea to try the individual mode. I hope you can get your car debuzzed soon !
Old 12-01-2016, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Soundaktor can be unplugged, or turned to 0 % with VCDS, either route would help determine if it is the cause.

VCDS Instructions:
The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - Vcds coding and electric schemes

Text search main post: -change the sound actuator volume

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 12-01-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a buzz in the dash near the windshield. I isolated the rpm and other circumstances that produced the noise. Then unplugged fuse F34. That killed the Soundaktor, among other things. Drove the car under the same conditions that previously created the noise. Noise went away. Replaced the fuse and unplugged the Soundaktor (pita) and haven't heard the buzz since.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffc
I had a buzz in the dash near the windshield. I isolated the rpm and other circumstances that produced the noise. Then unplugged fuse F34. That killed the Soundaktor, among other things. Drove the car under the same conditions that previously created the noise. Noise went away. Replaced the fuse and unplugged the Soundaktor (pita) and haven't heard the buzz since.
Thanks I will try this, after you replaced the fuse, how did you unplug the soundaktor?
Old 12-03-2016, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The unit is located just below the right side wiper shaft. Once a rubber seal and four fasteners are removed, the cowl can be pried up just barely enough to jam a hand in there and grab the connector. I used a long screwdriver to push the connector off. If you know how to remove the wiper arms you might prevent a few skinned knuckles.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2016 tts, 8,500 miles with a very faint rattling sound coming from center dash. On start up it rattles to a point then stops. Rattles on accelarstion up to 35-45mph then goes away at higher speeds. You need to focus to hear noise. It seems it might be coming from turbo? I've tried sport, dynamic mode, and will try others per threads below. Dealership is telling me the sound is normal and nothing is wrong with car, yet I'm having a hard time believing this since they can't tell me what it is, yet acknowledge the sound? Something is definitely up, just not sure if small or big deal. Hard to tell if we are having same noise but sounds familiar. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue, follow-up question

Experiencing the same noise, same conditions on a 2019 TTS with just 2K miles. Is this a normal sound? Or a faulty Soundaktor on a brand new car? Wondering what the "official" fix is besides unplugging the device.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have OBDeleven or VCDS, you can turn the soundaktor volume from 100 to 0. Perhaps, that's enough to disable it.