TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

That Ding Dong Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That Ding Dong Sound?

About half the time when I switch from reverse to forward and the rearview camera turns off there is a ding dong tone, like a stewardess call button. I can't figure out the logic of when it sounds and when it doesn't. Anyone know what the story is?
Old 07-25-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It should only sound when the parking aid is activated (typically shifting into reverse).
Old 07-25-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure what you mean by parking aid aside from the rearview camera. The ding dong happens when I'm going forward at sufficient speed to turn the camera off...but the issue is that even under that condition it only happens about 50% of the time.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wxman123
Not sure what you mean by parking aid aside from the rearview camera. The ding dong happens when I'm going forward at sufficient speed to turn the camera off...but the issue is that even under that condition it only happens about 50% of the time.
Yes, as in the rear view camera. Is it your parking sensors sometimes picking something up as you drive away? I won't know exactly what you mean without hearing what sound you are referring to.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Yes, as in the rear view camera. Is it your parking sensors sometimes picking something up as you drive away? I won't know exactly what you mean without hearing what sound you are referring to.

I'm NOT talking about the sound you hear to identify an object in the vehicles path. Lets say I'm backing out of my garage, rearview camera activated. I then drive forward and after a few seconds, when the rearview camera turns off, I hear a smooth ding dong sound that's just like a call button on an airplane. The thing is it only happens about half the time and I cant tell why. At one point I thought it might have to do with the passenger airbag warning.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wxman123
I'm NOT talking about the sound you hear to identify an object in the vehicles path. Lets say I'm backing out of my garage, rearview camera activated. I then drive forward and after a few seconds, when the rearview camera turns off, I hear a smooth ding dong sound that's just like a call button on an airplane. The thing is it only happens about half the time and I cant tell why. At one point I thought it might have to do with the passenger airbag warning.
It could be the airbag warning.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It could be the airbag warning.

If it is the airbag, why would it not chime everytime the passenger seat is empty? It sounds only half the time or so.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know exactly what you mean. To me it sounds like a soft doorbell. I noticed the car ding donged when I first put the car into drive, but not again after that. I"m surprised others have not noticed this. Perhaps this happens with a TT, but not the TTS?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When I park my TT in the garage, I hear a ding dong outside the car for about a minute after I exit. Perhaps, the sensors are noticing that there are obstacles all around it still because of the tight space it's parked in ?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yesterday I heard it. I was driving very slowly through a parking garage and there was a wall along my passenger side (pretty close). At the moment an oncoming car past me also very close, the "ding dong" sounded. I think 21tesla is right in that it has to do with obstacles to be aware of on both sides. In my case the car was moving. It sounds like in the case above, the car was stationary.

Quick Reply: That Ding Dong Sound?