TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Fifty Shades of Grey

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Nano is an intriguing and definitely unique color to be sure and you do have to see it in person. Color perception is one of the most individual and subjective of senses, which is why vehicle designers provide a number of shades [in this case of grey].
As a "senior" I couldn't help thinking of a vintage Mercury "lead sled" when I saw the Nano on the TT. In my perception it's a very nice matte/satin finish (from a distance more the former and up close the latter). I can well appreciate its inclusion in the Audi lineup.

And thanks but my Ophthalmologist again this year certified me at 20/20.

Originally Posted by j_schy
My dealer's first two TTs were Florett Silver and Nano Gray. Before they came in I had put my name on the silver one. Once I saw them side by side, I changed my mind and went with Nano Gray. If you think it looks matte you need to see an optometrist. It has as glossy of a finish as any other non-matte Audi paint color available. I really like it a lot. It looks non metallic if the sun isn't shining on it, but definitely not matte. I've had several Daytona Gray Audi's, as a matter of a fact the car I traded in on my TT was Daytona. I like that color, but I prefer Nano, it's more unique which fits the TTs character.
Attached Thumbnails Fifty Shades of Grey-screen-shot-2015-08-27-7.41.17-am.png  
Old 08-27-2015, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mickster
Those are sweet picks Can_Quattro. Where are you at with the whole purchase? Are you going with this combo or still undecided? Seems like you're in between Sepang & Nano and the interior Xpress Red which rules out Sepang (& Daytona) by way of Canadian default. When are you planning on biting the bullet? Is it just a matter of seeing some options in person? Where you hailing from & what's your market size?
Tentative plan is to order January for spring delivery.
Need to drive the TTS in October and make final "loaded S line" vs TTS decision. (Crap economy is weighing on my mind)
Would like to see as many in person before deciding as possible.

mickster's questions made me give this colour question a whole lot of thought, if I was ordering today in would be Tango Red with Rotor Grey leather.

Leading Combos:
Tango Red with Rotor Grey (Almost a certainty in an S line)
Glacier White with Expess Red
Nano Grey with Express Red

I live in Alberta, so I don't have the "shop for the best deal" option of those in Toronto or Vancouver.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 08-28-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm betting the selection will be Nano Grey with Express Red.

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
Leading Combos:
Tango Red with Rotor Grey (Almost a certainty in an S line)
Glacier White with Expess Red
Nano Grey with Express Red
Old 08-31-2015, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, what did you land on? I just placed my order for a TTS but have time to make changes still. I'm leaning towards Nano Grey but not the Red as I'm concerned I will get tired of it. Any thoughts on the two alternatives: Black or Rotor Grey? Thanks!
Old 08-31-2015, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WDP3
Hey, what did you land on? I just placed my order for a TTS but have time to make changes still. I'm leaning towards Nano Grey but not the Red as I'm concerned I will get tired of it. Any thoughts on the two alternatives: Black or Rotor Grey? Thanks!
Hi, and welcome to the discussion. Not sure who your question is addressed to. Have you seen Nano in person? With regards to seating your options are different Canada vs US (Alcantara option in US), where are you located?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, and welcome to the discussion. Not sure who your question is addressed to. Have you seen Nano in person? With regards to seating your options are different Canada vs US (Alcantara option in US), where are you located?
Hi, thanks for responding. I was asking the originator of the thread but honestly looking for any opinions. Yes, I've see the Nano on a TT at the dealership (TTS models are yet to arrive in the US - or so I'm told). It does change a lot based on light conditions, but it's different than the standard dark grey thus why I'm leaning that direction.

In the US, you can do the Alcantara or full leather options. For the latter, the color choices are black with silver stitching, express red with grey stitching or rotor grey with anthracite stitching. The express red looks really sharp in the pictures I've seen, but am concerned I'll tire of it.

Current Order is: 2016 TTS, Tech Package, Full Leather, Red Brake Calipers, B&O (Nano/Black)
Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

WDP3, nicely specked out car. Colours are a very personal thing, but I would go with the Express Red in a Grey car.
The reason I have been considering Nano is to get the Express Red.
If you go black or grey I would reconsider the Alcantara, it is a lovely material.
Warmer in winter, cooler in summer, better grip for cornering, feels very nice.
The nice thing is that the TTS looks so good inside and out its hard to go wrong 👍
Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

No one is mentioning Monsoon Grey. I love that color, it is my favorite Audi color. I am thinking a TT with Monsoon paint and Palomino seats.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fifty Shades of Grey

The loaded S line that I test drove was Monsoon. In Canada Monsoon is a TT color, and Nano is a TTS Color. Although it was a nice enough color; personally I did not find it was a good match for the TT. I did not find it special enough, kind of hid the lines of the car too much for me. A better reserved sedan color maybe.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cheers for all the feedback. Some valuable info here. Surprisingly, I now find myself leaning towards the Nano grey (in lieu of the non-available Daytona here in Canada). Thanks for the pics
OK this one is a TTS:
Can_Q.

As others have pointed out though, there's no substitute for the real thing so I'll want to see one in the flesh so to speak and hopefully in broad daylight & not under shop floor fluorescents.

If I do go with Nano my next dilemma is the interior. What did you decide on WDP3? I think I like the idea of the Express Red. That coupled with the red brake calipers and TTS badges splashed on the exterior seems quite appealing. But all that red inside over time?? I'm just not sure. Any comments anyone?

Quick Reply: Fifty Shades of Grey