TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Fifty Shades of Grey

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fifty Shades of Grey

Ok, so if you've been following my thread (TTS Exterior Colors), you'll know that Daytona Grey is not an option for Canadians.

With that in mind, I need you guys help.

Has anyone been in two minds about the Nano Grey vs Daytona Grey? Has anyone seen these 2 up close & in person? I've looked at some pics online but as usual, lighting & camera quality can be subjective at best.
So has anyone experienced a delimma with these 2 exterior colors? What was the outcome? Were there any outside factors that influenced your decision other than personal preference?

A side by side pic would be great if one such exists.

Nano Grey is available here apparently so chime in with your "subjective" opinions here. Looking forward to reading your feedback.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

After seeing it at a few auto shows, I never considered Nano Gray further. It always looked flat and had a lack of depth in person. Daytona Gray was the hands down winner for me since day one of considering the TTS. I have always really liked the pearl paints and thought that Sepang was to bright for my tastes.

I just did a Google search and there are plenty of side-by-side caparisons of the two colors as well as stand alone real world images of each color (the Audi USA site does a horrible job of representing the Nano Gray). I would also suggest that your dealer may have some Audi model in Nano on the lot. It is really something that needs to be seen in person.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of pictures and videos of Nano and Daytona online, Nano looks good in some and not others.
My conclusion is that Nano is a love it or hate it kind of colour, one I would not order without seeing it in person.
I do want to see it though. I have not seen Daytona on a TT in person but it is the favorite grey for the TT in the UK Forum.

The Audi TT Forum :: View forum - TT Forum - MK3 TT (8S)

To me Sepang is the most exciting colour for the new TT, even without the Express Red leather, it looks great with the Rotor Grey as well.
Since I have had blue for 6 years I don't want another blue car right away.

The two whites look really good in pictures with the Express Red leather.

I have only seen one TT in person, the loaded S line quattro I drove a couple weeks ago.
It was in Monsoon Grey which was nice enough, but too boring in my opinion, and not available on the TTS anyway.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice to hear on the Sepang blue/rotor gray. I can reverse-empathize as too many grey cars in my recent past drove me to blue.

I've seen Nano gray and it looks matte to me. Nice look if that's what you're going for, but otherwise my choice would also be Daytona.

I have monsoon gray now on my allroad and although the most popular exterior for that model it has gotten a bit boring for me.

We're fickle, aren't we.

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
To me Sepang is the most exciting colour for the new TT, even without the Express Red leather, it looks great with the Rotor Grey as well.
Since I have had blue for 6 years I don't want another blue car right away.

The two whites look really good in pictures with the Express Red leather.

I have only seen one TT in person, the loaded S line quattro I drove a couple weeks ago.
It was in Monsoon Grey which was nice enough, but too boring in my opinion, and not available on the TTS anyway.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I agree wth Huey52. Saw Nano on a convertible. Within 1 ft you can see metallic. Beyond that it looks like grey primer with a sheen. I think the Daytona definitely is richer and has depth.
Both whites are nice but I liked the Glacier a little better as it was more subtle. As we know web pics can be deceiving so definitely see for yourself if at all possible.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Nano is a throwback to nimbus. It is dark in the shade and then gets much lighter and almost primer color in the sun. It is a color you need to see in person and not just a photo online.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My dealer's first two TTs were Florett Silver and Nano Gray. Before they came in I had put my name on the silver one. Once I saw them side by side, I changed my mind and went with Nano Gray. If you think it looks matte you need to see an optometrist. It has as glossy of a finish as any other non-matte Audi paint color available. I really like it a lot. It looks non metallic if the sun isn't shining on it, but definitely not matte. I've had several Daytona Gray Audi's, as a matter of a fact the car I traded in on my TT was Daytona. I like that color, but I prefer Nano, it's more unique which fits the TTs character.

Last edited by j_schy; 08-25-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cheers for the feedback guys! Bottom line, I think, is that I will need to see Nano in person myself. It could look real good with the Express Red leather interior. I'll keep ya posted.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mickster
Cheers for the feedback guys! Bottom line, I think, is that I will need to see Nano in person myself. It could look real good with the Express Red leather interior. I'll keep ya posted.
This is the photo set that got me interested in Nano with Express Red:

Galleries - Fourtitude.com
Old 08-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Can_Quattro
This is the photo set that got me interested in Nano with Express Red:

Galleries - Fourtitude.com
Those are sweet picks Can_Quattro. Where are you at with the whole purchase? Are you going with this combo or still undecided? Seems like you're in between Sepang & Nano and the interior Xpress Red which rules out Sepang (& Daytona) by way of Canadian default. When are you planning on biting the bullet? Is it just a matter of seeing some options in person? Where you hailing from & what's your market size?

Quick Reply: Fifty Shades of Grey