TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Frozen windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen windows

This morning when I opened my door, the window was frozen in the up position. It was 27 here in Northern CA. I started the car and let it warm up. Once the door/window thawed out. The window worked normally.
Has anyone had this issue before?
Old 12-19-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 4margaret
This morning when I opened my door, the window was frozen in the up position. It was 27 here in Northern CA. I started the car and let it warm up. Once the door/window thawed out. The window worked normally.
Yup, it happened to me this morning, but slightly differently.
When I was backing out the driveway, I heard a warning and the display showed my door was open. I re-shut it, but it still showed the warning.
After a few minutes things thawed out and everything is okay.
It seems if water gets frozen in the door/window. Things may get wonky.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ya, has happened a few times already this winter (I'm on Ontario Canada).
Frozen solid. Didn't thaw until I got it into my garage at night.

It will sometimes stop your door from closing properly so you need to really pull your door hard to shut it.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gbob
Yup, it happened to me this morning, but slightly differently.
When I was backing out the driveway, I heard a warning and the display showed my door was open. I re-shut it, but it still showed the warning.
After a few minutes things thawed out and everything is okay.
It seems if water gets frozen in the door/window. Things may get wonky.
Must be an epidemic. Exact same thing this morning. Door opened no problem, but showed the warning when I tried to close it. Had to try a few times before it actually closed. Neither window would go down. Thawed out by the time I got to my destination. Can top that though. On the way home, for some silly reason I felt compelled to raise the spoiler. When I got home I noticed it hadnt retracted when I shut the car off. Restarted, tried to manually lower it, but nope. The odd part is that I was on the highway just before a few minutes previous and it raised and lowered no problem. We had a ton of rain over the weekend, wondering if some of it hasnt gotten into the mechanism somehow and froze. either that or the car hates winter almost as much as I do.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess there is some comfort knowing that I am not the only one having this problem.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I guess there is some comfort knowing that I am not the only one having this problem.
Thanks to the internet, we'll never be alone

Tailwagger, looking at the spoiler mechanism, I can see how some frozen liquid might inhibit the movement of the scissoring joints.
Yet another small detail that Audi didn't count on.
I am hoping the mid-generation update will fix these problems as well as give us some new colors to choose from. That'll be trade in time for me.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2017 Q7 Window Froze Open

Today, my driver's side window froze open - so the service people tell me. While it was 8f here in NY I'd been driving the car during the morning. I stopped at a drive-thru, put the window down and it wouldn't go up again. I find it hard to believe that this would happen on a $70,00 quality car that I put just 13,000 miles on.

I'm not totally convinced it was a simple freezing matter as the toll-window feature had stopped working the day before. We'll see, I guess.

Anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 12-20-2016, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gazza101
Today, my driver's side window froze open - so the service people tell me. While it was 8f here in NY I'd been driving the car during the morning. I stopped at a drive-thru, put the window down and it wouldn't go up again. I find it hard to believe that this would happen on a $70,00 quality car that I put just 13,000 miles on.

I'm not totally convinced it was a simple freezing matter as the toll-window feature had stopped working the day before. We'll see, I guess.

Anyone else experienced this problem?
Frozen open sounds off.
I'd think more on a component doesn't like the cold and maybe the relay wouldn't switch or the button contacts weren't making proper contact. But actually freezing down in that short of down, that doesn't make too much sense.
Haven't put my window down in the winter yet so haven't had that happen.... not thinking I'm going to try now though.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lain
Frozen open sounds off.
I'd think more on a component doesn't like the cold and maybe the relay wouldn't switch or the button contacts weren't making proper contact. But actually freezing down in that short of down, that doesn't make too much sense.
Haven't put my window down in the winter yet so haven't had that happen.... not thinking I'm going to try now though.
Iain: It has to be more than freezing. At least I'm hoping it is. It's unacceptable to have to worry whether my window will function or not when it gets below zero. We get months of that in NY.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experienced a window issue twice, both times it has been below 20 degrees. What appears to be causing the problem is closing the door while the window is fully up. I believe the window is not rolling down while opening the door because it is frozen on the door seal. When trying to close the door (with the window in the fully up position) the window keeps the door from properly closing putting pressure on the window. This happened when starting the car this morning. Opened the door to start the car to allow it to briefly warm up, noticed frost on the window seal and the door seemed to stick at the window. Started the car got out and shut the door. The door window was on the outside of the seal with the door completely closed. Looked awful. Looks like you could possibly shatter a window doing this. I am going to try silicone or something in hopes of correcting the problem. I think if I can prevent the window from freezing on the seal it will correct the issue I am having. Anyone else noticed the window outside of the seal after closing the door? Think silicone dressing on the window seal would help?

Merry Christmas from WV!!!

Quick Reply: Frozen windows